Quantcast

Any Americans living in Canada?

J

JRB

Ridemonkey said:
I guess it's time to bring this thread back.

I was just contemplating the idea and thought of this thread Monday night.

i moved from vancouver to seattle. my family maintains canadian bank accounts and such. i'd love to move back after college. i think canadian immigration is a little easier to deal with than US immigration. i'm on a 4 year visa still, with no green card. it's been 5 years. fvck bush.

acadian- where in NB are u from? my mom grew up in nackawick

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Sven tha Viking said:
i moved from vancouver to seattle. my family maintains canadian bank accounts and such. i'd love to move back after college. i think canadian immigration is a little easier to deal with than US immigration. i'm on a 4 year visa still, with no green card. it's been 5 years. fvck bush.

ah sweet....I grew up in Grande-Anse, which is between Bathurst and Caraquet. (North/East)

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
I live and work in Rossland year round. It's a beautiful mountain town with as much skiing (on and off the hill) and riding that anyone could ever want. I moved here from the Vancouver area to be part of a community. Most folks say hi in the street and there is a pot-luck at least once a week. The bar scene is terrible but I'm too tired at the end of the day for that anyway. Nelson is an hour away and has a vibrant art scene and has more of a city feel to it.

Rossland is also going through some changes right now. The ski hill was bought by an american group and housing prices jumped 30% in the last year. Developers are coming and seeing this wonderful little town and wondering how they can package and sell it for inflated prices while taking advantage of the local struggling economy. Americans are buying homes that were once owned by families (displaced by major cutbacks introduced by the Liberal government) which doesn't help local business seeing as they're only here one month out of the year, and they just seem uncomfortable a lot of the time. It's one thing to come for a visit, but if you want to live here ask yourself am I able to be a willing participant of this community?

These are my observations. I'm not trying to scare you away or convince you to move here. However, if you do decide to move here, we should go for a ride.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Sven tha Viking said:

Just out of curiosity, what is your claim to being entitled to a greencard? They prioritize them based on all sorts of criteria and there are only so many available per year for certain types of claims. My wife got her green card less than a year after we got married and moved her to the US. A spouse is automatically entitled to a green card as long as you do everything by the book and can prove that you're not trying to commit marriage fraud. If you're in the US on a student visa the rules are probably different. There may be 10,000 people in line ahead of you who have been waiting just as long or longer.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
My girlfriends parents live out in Kelowna, housing isn't quite as pricey out there, beautiful country alongside lake Okanagon. I love visiting there, nice sized city with everything you could want. I'd look to live in the outskirts, omewhere like Peachland, that's where they are, alot nicer than Kelowna itself

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Ruprick said:
I live and work in Rossland year round. It's a beautiful mountain town with as much skiing (on and off the hill) and riding that anyone could ever want. I moved here from the Vancouver area to be part of a community. Most folks say hi in the street and there is a pot-luck at least once a week. The bar scene is terrible but I'm too tired at the end of the day for that anyway. Nelson is an hour away and has a vibrant art scene and has more of a city feel to it.

Rossland is also going through some changes right now. The ski hill was bought by an american group and housing prices jumped 30% in the last year. Developers are coming and seeing this wonderful little town and wondering how they can package and sell it for inflated prices while taking advantage of the local struggling economy. Americans are buying homes that were once owned by families (displaced by major cutbacks introduced by the Liberal government) which doesn't help local business seeing as they're only here one month out of the year, and they just seem uncomfortable a lot of the time. It's one thing to come for a visit, but if you want to live here ask yourself am I able to be a willing participant of this community?

These are my observations. I'm not trying to scare you away or convince you to move here. However, if you do decide to move here, we should go for a ride.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

does it rain as much in Rossland than it does in Vancouver?

Might be another option!

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
It rains a little in the spring and a little in the fall. There's snow on the ground right now and riding is pretty much done, although last year we rode until december. Summers are hot and dry, with the odd thundershower that rolls through.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
mtnbkr4235 said:
have any good colleges that would be fairly cheap for an american and had an engineering department?
First off...to you guys everything is cheap here. Now that thats out of the way

Yes...we do :)...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a friend living in Tacoma who has a job offer in Vancouver. How much more would he need to make for a similar living up there.

So if he made $50,000 American what would the equivalent be in Canadian $ with the exchange rate, cost of living adjustment taxes and such added in? The reason I am intersted is if he takes the job he wants me to work for him:)