Quantcast

Any Chain Suggestions. i keep braking them

bluebike

Chimp
Dec 14, 2004
Anybody have any suggestions on chain for SS. will the heavy duty BMX stuff work, or will have to change sprockets?

I keep braking the 8 speed shimano crap.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I run a Sram 8 spd with no problems...Is your chainline straight? It may be off a bit.

oh and it's spelled "breaking" :D

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Dude I ride hard on my SS so hard that my front Chain ring ( a nice race face started looking like a bunch of shark fins in a circle) I use KMC bmx chains ( about $9 each) and replace them every thousand miles, this way I know its a good chain and it won't fail on me, oh and y the way I switched to a Stainless Surly Chain ring and all is solid....

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
I second the KMC chain. i have run one on my SS mountain bike and on my fixed gear and never had any problems

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
crazybiker300 said:
I second the KMC chain. i have run one on my SS mountain bike and on my fixed gear and never had any problems
It's what I run. I use a standard front MTB chainring (It's actually a very stiff, rampless, Shimano Saint freeride ring... its pure awesome) and a recycled mtb cogset (basically a three cogs respaced to make a cog sandwich). No problems mating the KMC to the MTB parts.

My SS weighs ~35 pounds and I climb a 34-21 up some pretty tought stuff (and ride it down some brutal stuff too). So far I have 8 months without a single issue, vs. breaking my chain constantly with 8 speed MTB chains.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Slipped the chain off my SS during a hard crank over loose gravel yesterday. Large areas of my knees and forearms are covered in bandage as I sit at my desk trying not to bleed into my suit. Diagnosis: Chain seems to have come loose after repeated jumping. Keep those chains pretty tight, people!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Changleen said:
Slipped the chain off my SS during a hard crank over loose gravel yesterday. Large areas of my knees and forearms are covered in bandage as I sit at my desk trying not to bleed into my suit. Diagnosis: Chain seems to have come loose after repeated jumping. Keep those chains pretty tight, people!
You wear a suit to work? I think the only people who have to wear suits to work over hear anymore are suit manufacturers.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It's a choice, not a compromise :)

I like to look smart. It helps when dealing with people you don't know, and keeps me 'feeling' professional. On Fridays everyone dresses down (some more than others) and it does change the dynamics a lot more than just it being Friday.

niguet

Monkey
Sep 11, 2005
kmc koolchain is one of the strongest chain that i know, i never had a problem with it