Quantcast

any decent trail building guides out there?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The kids want to build a pumptrack int he backyard, I just scored a DJ and want to build a few dirt jumps lines, any good guides out there to get started? I honestly don't have a clue where to start to try and build a good fun line or two. I mean I know I could just start digging, but i'd rather plan a head a bit.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have a ton of wood, and access to 200 yards of "clayish" fill dirt from my brothers landscaping company. I "may have access" to his bobcat/excavator but not sure I want to tear that much of the yard up.

Any and all ideas/reference materials is welcome. The idea is a big kids jump line of hopefully 3-6 jumps/tables, and a decent sized (10 yards x 35 yards) kids/adult pump track area and possibly a jr jump line next to the big kids jump line.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Don't make jumps in a strait line. Berms and rollers will increase the fun and joy ten fold.

If you can do it, having the last jump send you back to the starting area is ideal. jumping five identical jumps, hitting your brakes and having to pedal back to the starting area is so 1994. :)

read through that link I posted above.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Don't make jumps in a strait line. Berms and rollers will increase the fun and joy ten fold.

If you can do it, having the last jump send you back to the starting area is ideal. jumping five identical jumps, hitting your brakes and having to pedal back to the starting area is so 1994. :)

read through that link I posted above.
No idsagreement there!!

Basically I have about a 10 yard wide area that is about 50 yards deep which is slightly downhill where I can build 2-3 lines down and back, plus I am willing to do about a 10 yard wide area at the back of the lot about 30-35 yards long (my lenghts may be off, but basically willing to use a large L shaped portion of my yard about 10 yards wide.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
yeah, click through the mtbr thread that pnj posted. there is a ton in there.

this pic from Lee McCormack's website, of Superior Bike Park, Colorado . . . is a good example of "camel back" tables (aka rollable doubles) that are set up in a dirt jump loop manner. it's not so much an oval track as it's a rectangle with rounded corners. i haven't actually ridden this spot, but from the looks of it, they have some good ideas for a public spot.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/photos-and-video-from-superior-bike-park.html

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I'd build a pump track first before jumps. check out some pics and videos of pumptracks for ideas. also try and ride some sweet pump tracks beforehand to get an idea for what makes them tick. But, don't overthink it, just do it and you might teach yourself something. and in doing spend some quality time with the kiddos. learn by doing, what works for you. clayey dirt with some good moisture in it when built, then nicely compacted and let to dry before riding will make it nice and fast. if the dirt is prone to drying out and has lots of sand you can spray the track down lightly before riding and it will hold up better and be more enjoyable to ride. making sections on the pumptrack that can be doubled will make it more fun. make the berms taller and deeper than you think. make everything bigger than you think.

Last edited: