Quantcast

any doodlers, artists, or graphics people want to give me a hand?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been wanting to get a bike-related tattoo for a while now, but I can't seem to nail down the design. I've played with a few different ideas, but can't come up with anything that excites me.

Anyone willing to give me a hand?

Creativity is not my strong suite, thus my struggles to this point. Cycling is kind of like religion to me - the peace/relief that some people get from religion I get from riding. So I've been trying to find a way to weave together the two - cycling and religion/salvation.

Now, here's the kicker - my family (including my wife) is fairly religious, so putting a Cross on bike wheels would probably get me neutered in a hurry, so I'd like the religion reference to be on the subtle side.

So, if anyone is willing to help me out with a design... does that give you enough to go on? I tried to explain it enough so you have a good idea of what I'm looking for, but I didn't post anything I've come up with to this point because I want your creativity to start from scratch (i.e. not be affected by what I've tried to do so far).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
I've been wanting to get a bike-related tattoo for a while now, but I can't seem to nail down the design. I've played with a few different ideas, but can't come up with anything that excites me.

Anyone willing to give me a hand?

Creativity is not my strong suite, thus my struggles to this point. Cycling is kind of like religion to me - the peace/relief that some people get from religion I get from riding. So I've been trying to find a way to weave together the two - cycling and religion/salvation.

Now, here's the kicker - my family (including my wife) is fairly religious, so putting a Cross on bike wheels would probably get me neutered in a hurry, so I'd like the religion reference to be on the subtle side.

So, if anyone is willing to help me out with a design... does that give you enough to go on? I tried to explain it enough so you have a good idea of what I'm looking for, but I didn't post anything I've come up with to this point because I want your creativity to start from scratch (i.e. not be affected by what I've tried to do so far).

How about ying-yang chain rings or cogs?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I know where your coming from Jackson. I always wanted a bike related Tattoo as well, but i wanted something different, something I came up with.. unfortunately i can not draw and to get someone to design something for you takes some money..
good luck in your search

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jacksonpt said:
Don't get some dumbass tattoo in an attempt to look cool. If it's something that REALLY has meaning in your life, then spend some real money and have a professional illustrator create something killer. Not some hack. Don't throw some stupid cog on your arm/leg/ass and regret for the rest of your life. I know so many people with tats they regret. Including myself...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stinkyboy said:
Don't get some dumbass tattoo in an attempt to look cool. If it's something that REALLY has meaning in your life, then spend some real money and have a professional illustrator create something killer. Not some hack. Don't throw some stupid cog on your arm/leg/ass and regret for the rest of your life. I know so many people with tats they regret. Including myself...
Gee, thanks for the help - guess I missed the part where I asked people if they thought I should get a tattoo or not :rolleyes:

I'm smart enough to know not to do something half-assed. I've wanted this long enough and I'm passionate enough of cycling to know that this is what I want. I just need to find a design or at least a concept. Creativity isn't my strong suite, so I'm hoping that this thread can, at least, spark some new thoughts.

Realistically, I don't expect a finished design to come out of this thread - people who are good enough at design value their time far too much to sit down and come up wiht some ideas, then design them, tweak them, and post them on the intraweb for free.

I'm just looking for some creative ideas/concepts... and perhaps a "rough draft" or sketch of what a design could look like. I'll take that stuff to a local designer that I know and have them work it through.

That's the plan anyways.

J

JRB

Not to pick, Jackson, but you do seem a little grumpy lately. I mean, you jumped some guy and called him an idiot about his Cake the other day, and I never figured you to do that. You ok, brutha???

*not casting stones - just noticed your cynicism with Stinky.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stinkyboy said:
and

stinkyboy said:
Gee, thanks for the help - guess I missed the part where I asked people if they thought I should get a tattoo or not :rolleyes:
Sorry dude - didn't mean to jump down your throat... I know you were just trying to help, especially speaking from experience like you were. You touched on one of my pet peeves (my pet peeve: people making posts that don't answer the initial question), and I'm feeling a bit surly lately, so I'm quicker on the trigger than normal.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
and

Sorry dude - didn't mean to jump down your throat... I know you were just trying to help, especially speaking from experience like you were. You touched on one of my pet peeves (my pet peeve: people making posts that don't answer the initial question), and I'm feeling a bit surly lately, so I'm quicker on the trigger than normal.

Did your place ever sell, man?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
loco said:
Not to pick, Jackson, but you do seem a little grumpy lately. I mean, you jumped some guy and called him an idiot about his Cake the other day, and I never figured you to do that. You ok, brutha???

*not casting stones - just noticed your cynicism with Stinky.
na, I can definitely be an ass. In fact, people who really know me generally think I'm an ass. But anyways... the guy with the cake was an idiot, or at least couldn't convey his thoughts very well, so I stand by my comments in that thread (btw - I did end up giving constructive advice, not just ridicule), but Stinky is a good contributor and was just trying to help, so he gets an apology.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I know at least 20 people that regret rushing into tats. I got mine while drunk (big suprise) and wish I hadn't. Have a piece designed around you. Don't wake up and say WTF!

Thanks for the new sig!

:rolleyes:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've wanted one (something bike realted) for well over a year, and I've been dabbling with different design ideas for almost that long, so I know is this the route I want to go. The thought of blending religion with cycling has been in my head now for a few months, so I think it's pretty safe.

But you're right... I'm not doing anything spontaneous.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
jacksonpt said:

I'm smart enough to know not to do something half-assed. I've wanted this long enough and I'm passionate enough of cycling to know that this is what I want. I just need to find a design or at least a concept. Creativity isn't my strong suite, so I'm hoping that this thread can, at least, spark some new thoughts.

Realistically, I don't expect a finished design to come out of this thread - people who are good enough at design value their time far too much to sit down and come up wiht some ideas, then design them, tweak them, and post them on the intraweb for free.

I'm just looking for some creative ideas/concepts... and perhaps a "rough draft" or sketch of what a design could look like. I'll take that stuff to a local designer that I know and have them work it through.

That's the plan anyways.
Why not something like a chainring with the yin/yang around the center, and some other imagry outside it where the spider would cover?

I'd be....interesting.

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Why not something like a chainring with the yin/yang around the center, and some other imagry outside it where the spider would cover?

I'd be....interesting.
I'm not sure that any number of tattoos will make you interesting. :D

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
This would be a big tat but might be kind of cool.

How about a riser handlebar going from shoulder to shoulder across your back. You could get pretty detailed with the bars and faceplate, maybe some sort of tribal-esk design. Whatever. I just like the idea of the symmetry across the shoulders.

Attachments

stinkyboy said:
I know at least 20 people that regret rushing into tats. I got mine while drunk (big suprise) and wish I hadn't. Have a piece designed around you. Don't wake up and say WTF!

Thanks for the new sig!

:rolleyes:
I agree.... although mine wasnt rushed into. Mine represents a different time in my life, you grow older and your outlook on life changes and things that were once important to you may no longer be. Cycling is a little less political than the point of view mine represents so even if your not cycling 20 years from now it probably wont carry much of a stigma.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
caboverpete said:
I agree.... although mine wasnt rushed into. Mine represents a different time in my life, you grow older and your outlook on life changes and things that were once important to you may no longer be. Cycling is a little less political than the point of view mine represents so even if your not cycling 20 years from now it probably wont carry much of a stigma.
what did you get GWB tatted on your buttcheek or something?