Quantcast

Any Draft Dodgers out there?

Jan 29, 2005
I am morally opposed to the draft, to the point of C.O. status.

I turned 18 a few months ago, and have gotten my first selective service letter. I do not want to participate in a system I don't agree with, so I am considering refusing to sign up.

Has anyone done this? I've done a bit of reading, and prosecution seems unbelievably unlikely, but I would love to hear from others who have done the same.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Bad move.

You will not be eligible for Gov't grants.

I was told it's a violation of the Patriot act.

There will not be a draft. Party suicide.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland

I turned 18 a few months ago, and have gotten my first selective service letter. I do not want to participate in a system I don't agree with, so I am considering refusing to sign up.

Has anyone done this? I've done a bit of reading, and prosecution seems unbelievably unlikely, but I would love to hear from others who have done the same.
What country is this draft in?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
This joint really needs a seperate forum where people can discuss issues like this that are destined to become a sh*tfight.:rolleyes:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Was a handfull of years ago, but I never registered when I turned 18. I did register however when I was a older and wanted to go to school (financial aid is tied to regestration). I knew at that point that I was too old to get drafted......(and
there was no draft either)......

but I did not agree with the 'system', so that is what I did.

your choice...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Think of it like this, You could have grown up in a Country were instead of a selective service program, You just went into Military service when you turned 18, and forced to stay in for at least 2 years. Just food for thought.

P.S. Your never going to get drafted, There are enough people willing to go to war to ever have a draft again

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I doubt there will be a draft. But if it helps you to feel like a rebel and stuff, knock your self out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Let me ask this question:

Do you want to express your political opinion from jail?

Not that you are going to jail for draft dodging, skipping selective service, or refusing to fight; but if you don't like the laws of our country, are you willing to go to jail or are you skipping the country?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Or a country like Canada, where they don't force you into either.
Very true, As for myself, I went down to the post office on my 18th Birthday, signed up for selective service, moved on. Glad i did though, I was able to get in on some Gov programs and get some grants helping with nearly half my school costs. Just a little to add, I am willing to go fight for my country, If that is what is asked of me. I dont want to, if I did want to, I would have Joined the Marines Instead of College.

offsprung

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Rochester
my advice, quite being a pvssy and just sign it. there has been a long line of people before you that didn't want to register but had to anyway.

offsprung

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Rochester
oh by the way

What is the penalty for not registering?
If you do not register, you could be prosecuted and fined up to $250,000 and/or be put in jail for up to five years. Registration is also a requirement to qualify for Federal student aid, job training benefits, and most Federal employment.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Or a country like Canada, where they don't force you into either.
Yes, but then your country would be the first one to run to our country if they ever needed military help. It should be mandatory to register for the armed services. Hopefully it would never come down to it, but I feel it's necessary.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Don't be a vagina!!!! Sign up!!! There won't be a draft so don't worry.

Jan 29, 2005
I know I will never be drafted, besides the fact that it is presidential suicide, as I said before I am eligible for C.O. status. That's really not the point though. The point is I do not want to be coerced into any sort of participation within the draft system. I simply do not want to acknowledge its presence. Sending in my papers says that either I am o.k. with the system, or that the consequences are an effective way to keep people obedient.

Let me ask this question:

Do you want to express your political opinion from jail?

Not that you are going to jail for draft dodging, skipping selective service, or refusing to fight; but if you don't like the laws of our country, are you willing to go to jail or are you skipping the country?
I like to think I'd choose jail. Running to Canada is a cop out. This is my country, and I'd rather not give it away to some foolish war hawks. That being said there is absolutely nothing that could ever get me to actually participate in whatever hypothetical war that forced this decision.

So has anyone here never, ever registered?

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
There are plenty of things in "the system" that I don't agree with, but nothing is perfect. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
What the US needs is a system of mandatory military service OR civil service. Two years cleaning bed pans in the local senior center for you!
In the mean time, carry on with your rebellion, you...well, rebel. I bet your Thoreau-like stand is great for picking up chicks at the local strip mall.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Sign the friggin' piece of paper and forget about it. If a draft was instated and your number came up you can get out of serving a number of ways that leaves your ego and rose colored glasses intact.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Think about this, I just went out to the mail box, found that The federal Gov reveiwed and auditted my tax return. I just got a check for 1017 dollars. Somethings are good about the gov, some are not. SUck it up and sign up

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
What a bunch of whiny drivel. When did American teens become such a bunch of pussies?
It's been some years, but I really noticed it here on ridemonkey. Some kids are just nuts and some are just pussies. Manimal's kid has balls 45 trillion times the size of some of these guys.

It's like they are all f*#king James Dean.