Quantcast

any edumicated people round here?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Looking for some input from people with higher ed degrees (beyond bachelor's) or advanced computer certifications. Or anyone with legitimate knowledge about such things. Or anyone who has an option. Or...

Anyways...
Iv'e got a BS in computer science. I'm currently in a dead end position because I have the same skill set as any other schmoe who's spent quality time with the Teach Yourself such and such a topic from Barnes and Noble. It wasn't a big deal until recently... when an expanding family and a wife who would like to stay home put an increased importance on my salary.

So I'm looking for ways to increase my professional options... basically, to make myself more appealing in the job market.

Seems like my 2 best options are to pursue technical certifications (MCSE, CCNA, etc.) or to go back to school for my MBA. I'm a techie who can think... so the certs would open doors for me into more advanced technical positions, which would be fine. An MBA would give me the opportunity to move into more managerial/decision making type positions, which would be good for the analytical thinker in me. So either way, I'd be happy.

Here's where I'm looking for input from you monkies... basically, either one (certs or the MBA) would just be resume fillers - but I would think they would be enough to separate me from a good portion of the slobs out there looking for jobs. A BS in computer science and a few good certs would give me the skillset to get into a wide range of techie jobs, correct? A BS in computer scinece and an MBA (with a concentration in Management Information Systems) would let me go almost anywhere, I would think... no?

I guess the bottom line is this: am I correct in thinking an MBA would "open more doors" for me in the job market? Every company needs good thinkers/decision makers (which is basically what the MBA is all about)... not everyone needs a techie (which is all I'd be with the certs). Would anyone argue that?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
IMO, an MBA might help, but not as much as some specialization. Doesn't really matter how you get it but school can be a great place if you got the right school... If you look at Monster, the jobs that are available in our area are jobs with Oracle, PeopleSoft, lots of DBA jobs... The problem is not being able to get the experience without a job, and not being able to get the job without experience....

In summation, find your niche and specialize... I was in your position and have decided to go the direction of web design and publishing type stuff.....

CLancy

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
if you want to escape being a slave to management then go for the mba. getting more technical/IT certs won't get you anything except more entrenched in a dead end field. but this is just my opinion. (AB in computer science for me [yes, my school calls it AB, not BA for bachelor of arts], and decidedly out of that field after an internship as a programmer and a brief stint programming/designing/cursing at exchange server/plugging in windows boxes :dead: )

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I have a BS in Computer Science as well but on top of that I have my MCSA, CCNA, and a few other little ones.

MCSE is crap now due to the boot camps.
CCNA is still worth something but going down fast.
Next would be going for your Masters.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
In a profession that's based on a certification of some sort (cpa and the bar are the only ones that come to mind right now), an advanced degree isn't really necessary, good, but not necessary. From the what the computer smart guys above are saying, those certifications don't mean as much now and won't separate you apart from everyone else like they used to. An mba will be the quickest way to the top (mgmt) and should create a little more job security in the future. Whatever you do though, try to get the degree from a large(r) program, as I've been told an mba from a small school or the University of Phoenix doesn't mean as much. Why? hell, beats me.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
get your masters, two years well spent. i am looking to go the same route but cant afford it right now, need to wait until i get a company to pay it for me ;)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
I guess the bottom line is this: am I correct in thinking an MBA would "open more doors" for me in the job market? Every company needs good thinkers/decision makers (which is basically what the MBA is all about)... not everyone needs a techie (which is all I'd be with the certs). Would anyone argue that?
MBA's arent really worth the paper they are written on unless you are IN an environment that it will lift you. Are there currently opportunities afforded to you and your like at your current job/company?

Unless you are really looking to jump industries (getting an MBA and going into consulting or something) I would recommend getting certed up as much as possible. The management jobs will make themselves available so long as you do not dig yourself completely into the cubical techie world.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I have somewhat of a tech background, and I secured an MBA about 6 years ago.

The word "investment" is dead on... that’s really what we are talking about here... What is your ROI (return on investment) likely to be?

Any certification that you may get will be an immediate bang for the buck. It will put you in a specialized IT arena, and if it is in a highly demanded skill area, you can reap immediate rewards. But as discussed, those rewards may be fleeting… no real longevity, and just another notch on your lipstick case there champ... but quick rewards to buy little jimmy a new dirt bike, and the little woman a new vanity.

Now the MBA possibility: I got my MBA from a state school, so I didn’t launch into a six figure job on day one. In fact, I found that the MBA by itself without supporting experience amounted to very little in fact. It took 5-6 years of hopping around (with great frequency in fact) to finally get a position that is classically viewed as a "MBA level job". But, interestingly enough, I would not have landed any of those jobs on my way up without the paper.

So, if you are long term focused and are willing to take the tuition hit, are patient, and are able to be very aggressive in networking and being a full time 'job-hunter' for the next 5 years... It will be the better of the two options in my opinion.

Hope this helps...

-Crashby

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Crashby said:
<snip>
So, if you are long term focused and are willing to take the tuition hit, are patient, and are able to be very aggressive in networking and being a full time 'job-hunter' for the next 5 years... It will be the better of the two options in my opinion.

Hope this helps...

-Crashby
This makes it sound so attractive........ :) I'd rather ski and ride and play with my kids.

-S.S.-

KaTooMer

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Illinois
Crashby said:
The word "investment" is dead on... that’s really what we are talking about here... What is your ROI (return on investment) likely to be?
Good explanation. I've had a difficult time justifying the investment, both in time and $$'s but that's just me and my line of business. I'd say if your company has some type of tuition reimbursement program and you've got the time and the desire, then do it. But bear in mind that when it comes to career advancement it still comes down to the person. I've known exceptional people with MBA's and unexceptional folks with MBA's. In the case of the latter group, the MBA was a pretty poor investment.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Crashby said:
Thanks for the info man... very helpful. I currently work at Binghamton University (SUNY Binghamton), so part of my benefit package is free tuition. That's definitely a plus.

Basically... right now, my wife and I both have to work full time to have a really nice lifestyle - able to take a couple of vacations each year, buy a couple of big ticket items each year (i.e. my yeti), etc. But in a few years, I suspect that we will both have to work full time just to keep the bills paid. That's NOT where I want to be in 5 years.

We've got a daughter now, and a son on the way... my wife would like to be able to stay home more to spend time with the kids. I'd like to be able to give her that option, but financially it's not a possible. Or at least it won't be in another year or two.

The problem I have now is that any job I get into is probably going to be techie enough that it would be very much a niche job... I'd be very pigeon-holled, so to speak. I could potentially change jobs every few years, but that would be a huge hastle, and not exactly the job security I'm looking for. Seems to me that certifications would not change that much. They might get me into a slightly higher pay scale, but I'd still be basically pigeon-holled.

I would think having an MBA would eventually allow me to get into management, where I might have some room to be promoted and move up through the ranks... allowing me to stay with one company longer. Consulting is certainly an option (and an appealing one at that), but not really feasable in the near future, at least I don't think so.

The MBA really seems like the best option for me in the long run. And I think your return on investment approach is a good one. Certs may get me more in the next 10 months, but I think an MBA would put me waaaay ahead (especially considering my technical background) in 10 years.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I currently work at Binghamton University (SUNY Binghamton), so part of my benefit package is free tuition. That's definitely a plus.
My $.02 - If you decide that you are going the MBA route, the free tution deal is an outstanding benefit. Take full advantage of it. Maybe even consider another A.S. or B.S. in some other field than tech, that you decide on.

I know you are a little limited in the Vestal area as far as companies / job options, but the quickest way you will make some better $$$ is to work somewhere other than a college or university. They are known for lower pay.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Jackson, sounds like we're in similar situations except my wife and I don't have kids yet. I'm currently in the process of researching online/distance ed MBA programs since the company I work for was bought out by a high ranking Fortune 500 company and they pay full tuition, fees, books, etc for ANY accredited degree program. I have a BS in IE with a mechanical concentration and feel that an MBA will give me more options. When I finish the MBA I may go for another masters, perhaps an MSIE just to refresh on the technical aspects and because, well, they'll pay for and you get stock options every time you finish a degree. That would open the door for me for consulting or maybe if I get an accounting degree, I'll pursue becoming a CPA so I could have my own bushiness if I so desire.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Mike B. said:
I'm currently in the process of researching online/distance ed MBA programs
reflux said:
Whatever you do though, try to get the degree from a large(r) program, as I've been told an mba from a small school or the University of Phoenix doesn't mean as much.
just remember to not go ghetto. if something seems too good to be true (1 hr/week coursework on some website!!!!1!@) then it probably is, and hiring directors will laugh at you.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
jacksonpt said:
am I correct in thinking an MBA would "open more doors" for me in the job market?
I would say yes and no......if you don't have good common sense, it won't help. If you have a good head on your shoulders then it might help.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
jacksonpt said:
Thanks for the info man... very helpful. I currently work at Binghamton University (SUNY Binghamton), so part of my benefit package is free tuition. That's definitely a plus...
Funny... I went to SUNY Oswego for my MBA (now with national accreditation). I got sorta lucky and received a graduate assistantship and got most of my coursework paid for. That makes a huge difference if you can find something like that. Folks that cough up $100,000 for a Harvard MBA are in a whole different league... and are treated accordingly after they graduate (ever see the movie “The Skulls”?).

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Freak said:
I would say yes and no......if you don't have good common sense, it won't help. If you have a good head on your shoulders then it might help.
:thumb: Well said. Throughout the years I got to interview tons of people - and let me tell you, some might look good on paper (resume), but when you get to talk to them face to face - sometimes it's a whole different story.

I've employed some people based on how the interviewed and not what was on their Resume. Some having very little experience - but they were eager to learn, very competent and self starters. Most of them are top performers and key contributors now. Two individuals I hired had stellar resumes, but got a bad vibe during the interview(s) - decided to hire them anyway since their background was impressive. BAD MOVE...they both ended up being royal PITA - hard to manage and always wanted to do things THEIR way, which wasn't necessarily the RIGHT way

That was a lesson for me. You can have all the paper in the world, but if you can't prove to me that you would be a good fit (for the job and in the group) - that voids any background you have.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jacksonpt said:
<snip> right now, my wife and I both have to work full time to have a really nice lifestyle - able to take a couple of vacations each year, buy a couple of big ticket items each year (i.e. my yeti), etc.
Keep in mind that you could always drop your lifestyle a few notches. Just keep in mind that it's an option. With kids it's not too hard, unless your trying to keep up with the Jones's......

-S.S.-

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
Keep in mind that you could always drop your lifestyle a few notches. Just keep in mind that it's an option. With kids it's not too hard, unless your trying to keep up with the Jones's......

-S.S.-
Yea... we know we are going to have to do that - that's part of the reason we've tried to live so well when we could. Cutting back our fun isn't a problem... but I want to be able to give my daughter (and my son when he gets older) a good lifestyle. I want them to be able to play sports or study abroad or go to the college of their choice or whatever.

If I make the effort to advance myself professionally and something happens so I can't give my kinds what I think they should have, then that's one thing. But I don't want to sit here at good enough for now, then not be able to let my daughter take gymnastics because we can't afford it - I'd kick myself.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jacksonpt said:
Yea... we know we are going to have to do that - that's part of the reason we've tried to live so well when we could. Cutting back our fun isn't a problem... but I want to be able to give my daughter (and my son when he gets older) a good lifestyle. I want them to be able to play sports or study abroad or go to the college of their choice or whatever.

If I make the effort to advance myself professionally and something happens so I can't give my kinds what I think they should have<snip>
Remember - the most important thing when it comes *right* down to it is that they have your unconditional love. Don't let money, sports, and things get in the way of the really important stuff. Remember - kids only know what they have, whether it's very little or alot.

Let's not forget that alot of generations before us raised 4+ kids in 1200 sq. foot bungaloes and worked hard just to put food on the table.......

Remember - fundamentally, a "good" lifestyle has almost nothing to do with money. In fact, I think money often gets in the way.

I think I'm rambling. Must be the holidays. :D

-S.S.-

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Toshi said:
just remember to not go ghetto. if something seems too good to be true (1 hr/week coursework on some website!!!!1!@) then it probably is, and hiring directors will laugh at you.
Very true Toshi. A friend of mine that works in a different division of the same company recently completed his MBA through a special distance ed program with Carnegie Mellon. So, among a few others, CMU is on the list for consideration - sky is the limit since it won't cost me a dime (as long as I can get in :sneaky: )

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Do not do an MBA imho. MBA degrees are for people who already have some managerial experience, hence good schools have an age and experience limit for accepting MBA applicants. Do an msc in Finance,Economics,and Management.

I got some postgrad experience, as i have and msc and currently do a Phd in Finance, and most of the academics i speak to have suggested the above scenario