Quantcast

Any Formula 1 Fans?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
His team should have been more forceful on the radio.
They should have told him it was getting worse. He was managing until the downpour. Heartbreaking, for sure.

But that kid is hungry and is squeezing the hell out of that McLaren. It's the third fastest car out there.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I only started following the season in Brazil, so I have very little background... but it seems to me that was a really shitty way to wrap-up the season.

Seems to me the series was won not by the best driver, but by tire strategy. Which I suppose is part of the racing strategy. I can't remember where it was, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that RedBull had opted for soft tires at a few races, banking on a safety lap at some point during the race so they could swap to fresh ones... This leads me to believe, as an outsider to the sport, that the races were won by tire strategy rather than by the better driver... But like I said, I'm an outsider to the sport and I could be totally out to lunch.

I just can't help but feel that Hamilton was the better driver (on account of the fact that he led for a larger part of the race and seemed to have enough of a lead to have won if not for the safety car). So it seems F1 rules were more at play than driver talent...

In the end, it doesn't matter I guess, it's just a bunch of millionaires running around changing the climate. Maybe it's best if I don't follow it...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You could also argue that the only reason Hamilton did so well for so much of the season was because he had the best car. And that gets to the heart of it - it's a combination of the driver, the car, the tires, pit strategy, conditions, appetite for risk, luck, officiating, etc. I tend to agree that Hamilton was the best driver, and that all things being equal he should have one. But that's just not how it works. Whoever figures out the right formula wins. :brows:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What was the reason they banned ground effects in the first place?

Did it have something to do with the cars getting airborne to easily if there was contact?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
What was the reason they banned ground effects in the first place?

Did it have something to do with the cars getting airborne to easily if there was contact?
Wasn’t because it made overtaking near impossible? (Front car is as fast as following.) Thus making the race boring..?..

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wasn’t because it made overtaking near impossible? (Front car is as fast as following.) Thus making the race boring..?..
I think this sounds about right. I think the idea with the new setup is closer following without the turbulent air plus DRS will offer more overtakes. Also slightly skinnier next year? Smaller somehow.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The way last season ended was bullshit, and I'm glad to see this happen:

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Wow, I thought it was the Onion. He had skills and Haas will still be a back marker, so seems legit.
Him coming back was surprising enough, but a multi-year deal? Wow. Next, Rich Energy will be a sponsor.

What a time to be alive....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Him coming back was surprising enough, but a multi-year deal? Wow. Next, Rich Energy will be a sponsor.

What a time to be alive....
:stupid:

He doesn't have $20mm backing, does he? The multi year deal is a kicker considering Botas was on 1 year stints for 5 years.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, send the bill to Putin.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
:stupid:

He doesn't have $20mm backing, does he? The multi year deal is a kicker considering Botas was on 1 year stints for 5 years.
What I'm thinking (just a guess) is that Haas found working with two rookies "challenging" and decided to bring back someone that they knew and could work with that could provide usable, consistent info for development for a couple years (hence the multi year deal). Again, just a guess.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That sounds about right. I know it was Alpha Tari that said having 2 rookies is a huge mistake and that's why they liked Yuki learning from Gasley.

I just want to see Gasley go to Red Bull next year, or McLaren.