Quantcast

Any Formula 1 Fans?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Wonder how long a contract Redbull have him locked in to and how long Ricciardo's contract is with MCL.
I bet you there’s a performance clause in there.

As much as I love the current McLaren lineup (I’m a McLaren guy), Danny needs to pick it up IMO. Even though he won a race last year, I think a Lando would’ve taken him if the team didn’t tell him to take one for the team.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wonder how long a contract Redbull have him locked in to and how long Ricciardo's contract is with MCL.
From what I understand McLaren has an option on Ricardo's 3rd year and I think Gasley is up at the end of this. He said his heart is in Red Bull, but he wants a fast car and will leave if he doesn't get one. He's earned it, he got a half season the first time. Albon got a year and a half, Checo is getting 2 years (maybe). But Checo wants a big contract after Max got his, but he has barely kept his seat IMO last year.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
That sounds about right.
Nah - Mik Schumacher fully deserved and, deserves, a seat in a car. Nikita Mazepin having a 2nd season was fully conditional upon being family of major sponsorship with Haas.

Has already been revealed that Haas is more than capable of decompensating the operation from any Uralkali cash influx; Haas will not be suffering. And, it's all over and done with Russian sponsorship too.

There's standing clause and tort within contracts regarding derogatory image to the sport and, Uralkali and Mazepin clearly wandered off course. This 'We Compete As One' initiative is so laughable given that Russia had previously been prohibited the honorific of their Flag and/or Colors. It's also that nuclear doping machine of theirs.

Mazepin should really just walk away and not disrespect the sport and sporting in general. Though I never was rooting for him at all last season, I didn't not like him.

This 'Charity' being discovered as of late needs kicking to the Sausage Kerbs.

Last edited:

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
If only Mazepin would be missed. :rofl:
At first - I honestly had the reaction of being sympathetic for a bit only until Haas chose to show him the door.
This Charity Foundation at their discretion is completely off-base and serves no purpose other than a slush-fund.

Rich Energy? Oh, that's what will be bubbling to the top I'm sure, just not with Haas.
1646947904947.png
16469479049471.png
16469479049472.png
16469479049473.png :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
At first - I honestly had the reaction of being sympathetic for a bit only until Haas chose to show him the door.
This Charity Foundation at their discretion is completely off-base and serves no purpose other than a slush-fund.

Rich Energy? Oh, that's what will be bubbling to the top I'm sure, just not with Haas. View attachment 173238 View attachment 173239 View attachment 173241 View attachment 173242 :rofl:
Stroll has a seat because dad owns the company, but he can at least drive. Mazepin was a danger to everyone on the grid.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Stroll has a seat because dad owns the company, but he can at least drive. Mazepin was a danger to everyone on the grid.
Lance Stroll shows that he's a driver and, a competent one. His Father Lawrence also being the Team Owner has offers no real bearing heading into any Qualifying ses'. More of a shared appreciation of F1 and open wheeled racing than, well, whatever virtue-signaling was being tried by the gangster Mazepin.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
You were saying?

More hurry-up-and-wait nonsense from another wannabe tycoon. Still no-one has been able to obtain their retail beverage and, those that have been given the 'salesmens sample' have all said it's Red Bull.

It's a 'hiding in the light' X-Files episode being conducted by Red Bull back office.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
I never paid attention to F1 until a couple years ago when some monkeys recommended Drive to Survive, even for not-fans like me. Thanks! Season 4 is out now. My wife and I both really enjoyed watching the first three seasons.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I never paid attention to F1 until a couple years ago when some monkeys recommended Drive to Survive, even for not-fans like me. Thanks! Season 4 is out now. My wife and I both really enjoyed watching the first three seasons.
I was a huge F1 fan back in the 80's but got out of it in the 90's. My wife started watching Drive and I got sucked in totally. But the races the last couple years have been great and the crop of young drivers are epic.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just watching near the end of season 3 of Drive and it's the Grosjean crash episode. That's still hard to watch 18 months later.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just watching near the end of season 3 of Drive and it's the Grosjean crash episode. That's still hard to watch 18 months later.
That and Alonso... Fucking hell. Both crashes I was watching the race with Haley. Wifey's response to my reaction in both was to send her away instantly, just in case she was watching someone die.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That and Alonso... Fucking hell. Both crashes I was watching the race with Haley. Wifey's response to my reaction in both was to send her away instantly, just in case she was watching someone die.
Which Alonso crash?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Which Alonso crash?

It was forever during the race. That's been cropped down; he was in for another few seconds at least.

There was another in Le Man's a few years back, can't remember which crash, but same effect from Wifey.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

It was forever during the race. That's been cropped down; he was in for another few seconds at least.

There was another in Le Man's a few years back, can't remember which crash, but same effect from Wifey.
Ahh, didn't realize you meant his barrel roll from that far back.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Not sure even a driving simulator such as that is able to anticipate tire-issues as track surfaces vary from circuit to circuit.
NASCAR also has the new tire/wheel packages this season and, tires there just didn't hold up after a spin on the oval. Other than the lower aspect ratio, likely can't be all that much in common between NASCAR and Formula 1 tires.

Having a spin - even with keeping the engine turning - could radically alter race results if these new tires will just go flat. Could be a determining factor behind so many squirrelly cars during testing - which may have simply been a tactic. Who knows.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The tire and traction dynamics in Gran Turismo 7 are amazing. I got caught in rain on the Ring last night and it was sketch. My Taycan Turbo S is boss, though.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What do you have to do in the game while it's charging for 30 minutes?
The regen braking is the best! It has a little meeter that moves, it's pretty bad ass. I built the hell out of an '01 GT3, but I turned all the assists off and it's undrivable. :rofl:

You still can't mash the gas in the Taycan, but it's more manageable.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Sounds like the Mercedes are struggling. McLaren not doing too well either so far in FP2.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Concerning for McLaren. And what's up with Haas? Did they down some Rich Energy or something? 8th and 10th and faster than both cars of multiple teams?!
From what I've read Haas didn't spend any time developing last years car at all and just wrote the season off, instead focusing their budget and development fully on this new car.

Interesting to see how qualifying plays out tomorrow. Hamilton certainly won't be happy with how the car is working, particularly given that Russell is seemingly doing a better job in it. After Barcelona I was hoping for good things from McLaren this year, I guess we'll have to see.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
From what I've read Haas didn't spend any time developing last years car at all and just wrote the season off, instead focusing their budget and development fully on this new car.

Interesting to see how qualifying plays out tomorrow. Hamilton certainly won't be happy with how the car is working, particularly given that Russell is seemingly doing a better job in it. After Barcelona I was hoping for good things from McLaren this year, I guess we'll have to see.
I dunno man. Pre-Season testing is all a game and, this year is going to be all about saving the tires I think. Lewis Hamilton has some great skills at preserving a set of tires. Right now nothing is really relevant toward the Season until 'Lights Out!' on Sunday!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Eff ESPN for every time they put qualifying on the ESPN News channel which isn't in my million channels, particularly on this first race of the season.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Eff ESPN for every time they put qualifying on the ESPN News channel which isn't in my million channels, particularly on this first race of the season.
That crap used to frustrate me too so I got the F1 app and subscription for the TV. Absolutely worth it. Highly recommend. You never miss a thing. Ever. Plus there’s tons of content.

You missed a good one!

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Tough to be a McLaren fan today but I bet Gunther Steiner is still going bonkers. Good for them!

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ferrari looked fast as hell and they have the drivers to leverage that. The only reason Max was close is he can drive. Sounds like Honda might know what happened to the PU.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Ferrari looked fast as hell and they have the drivers to leverage that. The only reason Max was close is he can drive. Sounds like Honda might know what happened to the PU.
So far it seems the Red Bull engine was not getting fuel to the combustion chambers and, if it's fuel pump related - that's been made a spec-part meaning that even Honda Racing now partial-input has no help to offer.

Williams McLaren had to swap fuel pumps ahead of qualifying. The new fuel, w/ less HP on tap than last season, may have strained at least some of the teams - if not the Red Bull entirely.

That Team Radio of Max Verstappen has me wondering if that team can hold it together for a season, w/ Max Verstappen electing to resume his brand of cheesy driving.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So far it seems the Red Bull engine was not getting fuel to the combustion chambers and, if it's fuel pump related - that's been made a spec-part meaning that even Honda Racing now partial-input has no help to offer.

Williams had to swap fuel pumps ahead of qualifying. The new fuel, w/ less HP on tap than last season, may have strained at least some of the teams - if not the Red Bull entirely.

That Team Radio of Max Verstappen has me wondering if that team can hold it together for a season, w/ Max Verstappen electing to resume his brand of cheesy driving.
according to this, part of it is down to E10:

it's almost like I'm reading the script to Cars 2 !!! (11 years later...)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ferrari put a ton of effort into the E10 conversion and it shows. Sainz says he is still finding his groove with the car, so it could be an all Ferrari fight for the title this year. 2 DNF's for Red Bull in the first GP starts them on the back foot.

Yuki with points! My man has come up.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
A formal announcement has Las Vegas offering an alternative to COTA and/or Miami in the US for 2023. Last time open wheel racing was tried in Vegas it did not go well, with Indy Car in 2011. Pageantry and a ridiculous oval track with the race being stopped on Lap 11.

This appears to be a street-circuit, which BITD were what all US GP circuits were. Some weird concepts being portrayed for the upcoming Miami GP though. Someone petitioned for a faux-Monaco Marina inside the Circuit. The area is next door to Ft. Lauderdale Airport - 2 miles from the Atlantic. Any boat will have to be trucked to the event, carried on a lift, and dropped into some wading-pool inside turns 7 & 8.

Someone there is really fucking high on drugs.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
A formal announcement has Las Vegas offering an alternative to COTA and/or Miami in the US for 2023. Last time open wheel racing was tried in Vegas it did not go well, with Indy Car in 2011. Pageantry and a ridiculous oval track with the race being stopped on Lap 11.

This appears to be a street-circuit, which BITD were what all US GP circuits were. Some weird concepts being portrayed for the upcoming Miami GP though. Someone petitioned for a faux-Monaco Marina inside the Circuit. The area is next door to Ft. Lauderdale Airport - 2 miles from the Atlantic. Any boat will have to be trucked to the event, carried on a lift, and dropped into some wading-pool inside turns 7 & 8.

Someone there is really fucking high on drugs.
Isn't COTA a pretty good track? Random attempts at street circuits are rarely great.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Isn't COTA a pretty good track? Random attempts at street circuits are rarely great.
COTA is an awesome venue by all appearances. Given what has just been put into the 2023 Schedule, I'm thinking Miami is a one-and-done event. Was feeling generally positive toward it being where it is but, that recent development there shows some form of general incompetence is being allowed to voice their opinion.

It will play out into next season, then be canceled IMO.