Quantcast

Any Formula 1 Fans?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I approve of shipping less stuff around the world.
The idea that they are shooting for "zero emissions" while still not planning grands prix based on geography is both sad and funny. Use the UPS mapping software to plan the most efficient calendar for races.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That drive was epic, tbh.
For sure, he can still lay it down. I'm interested to see if either him or Hamilton can break the 300 curse this year. I have a feeling Alonso will get closer than Hamilton, but I suspect any Mercedes wins come from Russell.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What’s the problem exactly? The article suggests it’s not the drivers.
They went with a crazy "zero sidepod" design they swore was solid and now are saying they are going a different route after all. I think Mercedes might be looking at his $40M+ salary and the fact he finished behind Russell and maybe there is a better use for that money.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
A bit early after one race, I think. And Ham came in two places in front of Russell. We shall see.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A bit early after one race, I think. And Ham came in two places in front of Russell. We shall see.
At $30M a year more, I would expect at least that much, but he also lost to Russell in points last year, so there is that.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I've seen it mentioned that a lot of the driver sim time is devoted to learning all of the different controls and adjustments, so that they can do it without impacting their ability to actually drive the car. I can completely understand that just having done a minimal amount of sim racing and trying to adjust brake balance or a fuel map without driving off the track.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've seen it mentioned that a lot of the driver sim time is devoted to learning all of the different controls and adjustments, so that they can do it without impacting their ability to actually drive the car. I can completely understand that just having done a minimal amount of sim racing and trying to adjust brake balance or a fuel map without driving off the track.
I bought F1'22 but I'm barely surviving GT7 at this point and all I touch is fuel map. I would love to get the Ferrari F1 wheel, but all that stuff scares me. :rofl:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I bought F1'22 but I'm barely surviving GT7 at this point and all I touch is fuel map. I would love to get the Ferrari F1 wheel, but all that stuff scares me. :rofl:
I have played the heck out of GT7 after getting it in Dec. And yeah, keeping track of the weather radar and fuel map is enough mental challenge. I bought the Fanatec DD1 Podium wheel and have a couple of those settings mapped to dials etc on the wheel, but it still takes some concentration.

You won't regret getting a wheel though. It takes some time to get used to but it's a lot of fun.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have played the heck out of GT7 after getting it in Dec. And yeah, keeping track of the weather radar and fuel map is enough mental challenge. I bought the Fanatec DD1 Podium wheel and have a couple of those settings mapped to dials etc on the wheel, but it still takes some concentration.

You won't regret getting a wheel though. It takes some time to get used to but it's a lot of fun.
I bought the Fanatec DD Pro and it died 4 days later. It took 2 weeks to get a response from them and I just returned it. I have a T300 with Ferrari modified 599xx wheel and load cell pedals. I got the 3drap DTM wheel mod, 6 speed shift gate and shifter mod.

Currently eyeballing the VR2 setup..

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I bought the Fanatec DD Pro and it died 4 days later. It took 2 weeks to get a response from them and I just returned it. I have a T300 with Ferrari modified 599xx wheel and load cell pedals. I got the 3drap DTM wheel mod, 6 speed shift gate and shifter mod.

Currently eyeballing the VR2 setup..
I'm really intrigued by the VR2 setup as well. Slightly worried about motion sickness, but I'd like to give it a go at some point.

I definitely had some reservations with the Fanatec stuff because there are horror stories out there. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed...I looked at the DD Pro, but felt like I'd go closer to "all in" if I were spending a bunch of money already. Someone had a reasonable price on a slightly used Podium so I took the chance. It feels like a really solid piece of hardware, although I've definitely seen reports of software bricking etc.

Might have to look into the newer F1 games. It's been many iterations since I tried one of those. I've done just about everything there is to do in GT7 this point, with the exception of getting rammed off the track in Sport mode.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't play online and there are 2 races at the Ring I haven't done yet. I'm saving that track for last. I've been grinding on average a race a night saving for the GTO to repop. I pretty much have all the cars I could ever want in the game and have built out some really choice rides based on PP requirements.

The direct drive was my first wheel and while it worked it was awesome. But I had less than 10 hours, 4 days total.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I don't play online and there are 2 races at the Ring I haven't done yet. I'm saving that track for last. I've been grinding on average a race a night saving for the GTO to repop. I pretty much have all the cars I could ever want in the game and have built out some really choice rides based on PP requirements.

The direct drive was my first wheel and while it worked it was awesome. But I had less than 10 hours, 4 days total.
I'm just finishing all of the circuit experience golds, with just the rally events (hate those), full lap of Nurburgring and Mt Panorama to go. Definitely a number of races that I haven't done. Also doing the Sport mode time trial at Cataluna, which is some "easy" credits.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm just finishing all of the circuit experience golds, with just the rally events (hate those), full lap of Nurburgring and Mt Panorama to go. Definitely a number of races that I haven't done. Also doing the Sport mode time trial at Cataluna, which is some "easy" credits.
Ha, I've done so poorly on the track experience runs. I'm also one race shy of my super license but keep getting my ass kicked on the wet Le Mans track. I know that track but it's that car in wet that's killing me.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Ha, I've done so poorly on the track experience runs. I'm also one race shy of my super license but keep getting my ass kicked on the wet Le Mans track. I know that track but it's that car in wet that's killing me.
That one took a while. I have that one and Laguna Seca that I haven't gotten gold on. At some point maybe I'll spend time on those. Trying to keep the 917 on that dry line at any kind of speed...the tiniest mistake and you're off the track.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That one took a while. I have that one and Laguna Seca that I haven't gotten gold on. At some point maybe I'll spend time on those. Trying to keep the 917 on that dry line at any kind of speed...the tiniest mistake and you're off the track.
A patient of my wife's gave me GT5 and 6, but I never played them because it sucked so bad with a controller. When GT7 was announced I decided I would spend the money for a moderate rig. I've got about $600 into it total.
PXL_20220518_040318923~2.jpg

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
A patient of my wife's gave me GT5 and 6, but I never played them because it sucked so bad with a controller. When GT7 was announced I decided I would spend the money for a moderate rig. I've got about $600 into it total.
View attachment 190554
Looks like a solid setup. I'd started a rig build during covid but got distracted. I have an OMP seat that came as an "extra" with my car so some of the hard part is taken care of. Have to get back to it now that I have the fancy wheel and pedals.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Looks like a solid setup. I'd started a rig build during covid but got distracted. I have an OMP seat that came as an "extra" with my car so some of the hard part is taken care of. Have to get back to it now that I have the fancy wheel and pedals.
The eBay chassis was $90 but when I added the shifter, the flex was insane and the mount was wonky. I spent another $100 on 8020 and associated hardware and now it's actually rock solid. I got a pair of seats off Facebook for $100, I made my office chair out of the other one. It's not as nice as an OMP, but it works.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I just use the 50" and it works well for the PS4. If I upgrade to the PS5 I will likely get the VR setup.
Never did the VR thing (may try it at some point) but I have fun on days when the weather makes no sense to be outside. I’m an iRacing loyal but feel free to PM me!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If only I were a gun drinker. It's awesome to see Bottas living his best life.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wonder how much Piastri wishes he was in the Alpine garage right about now.
There was an article and he was pretty set on the move. If nothing else, what you get to drive as a McLaren driver vs Alpine.

Danny Ric edition

McLarenDanielRicciardoEdition720S_1638508273826_1638508286149.jpg

I would come in 11th with a smile

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
The just released A110 R doesn't look too shabby as well and I got to drive the "normal" one once, it was hell of a fun drive in corners and mountainous roads.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The just released A110 R doesn't look too shabby as well and I got to drive the "normal" one once, it was hell of a fun drive in corners and mountainous roads.
How about that Alonso special edition? :rofl:

Not saying the A110 is a bad car, but ANY McLaren is a huge step up. It's half the reason everyone wants to drive for Ferrari. You still pay full price, but you get head of the line privileges to a tailored ride.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
True, Mclaren or Ferrari are different beasts. Now what about an Alonso special edition Valkyrie? :busted:

Last edited: