Quantcast

Any Formula 1 Fans?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
It was also apparently the third F1 race ever in which all cars finished. I was hoping for at least a gearbox failure that would provide the relative viewing excitement of watching a crane be operated, but it wasn't to be.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It was also apparently the third F1 race ever in which all cars finished. I was hoping for at least a gearbox failure that would provide the relative viewing excitement of watching a crane be operated, but it wasn't to be.
im surprised Schumacher didnt call it quits when his front wing got knocked off.

i want another Montreal-type race (minus the rain delay,) but i dont think we'll see anyone come from last to first (with 6 stops :shocked:) again...at least for a while. that was definetely the drive of Button's career.

i also hope the new engine rules do slow down RBR. all other competitor's efforts are proving fruitless. i think its time for Ferrari to focus on their 2012 car . waiting another 2 races like they said would, will probably just put them farther behind next year :think:.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
1.6L V6 turbos are a go
Formula One racing engines have been dropping cylinders like advanced trigonometry classes over the past couple of decades. The V12s gave way to V10s in the mid 90s. Those were replaced in turn by the current V8s in 2006, and now it's been confirmed that by 2014 two more cylinders will drop off the block for V6 propulsion.

Confirmation comes from the FIA, whose World Motor Sport Council adopted via fax vote the suggestion put forth by the Formula One Commission after consultation with the teams. The new regulations will take effect in 2014 instead of the four-cylinder formula that was set to take hold in 2013.

Displacement will drop as well from 2.4 liters to 1.6, but don't expect a big drop in performance, as the lost cylinders will be replaced by a turbocharger. The overall package, then, marks a little bit of history repeating. Until they were dropped in 1989, many of the cars on the grid were powered by 1.5-liter turbocharged V6 engines (like the '84-spec Honda unit pictured above), although this time they'll be coupled to a new Energy Recovery System that will replace the current Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS). Official announcement after the jump.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/30/fia-confirms-1-6-liter-turbo-v6-f1-engines-for-2014/

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Some cool f1 tech images from the interwebs.

Ferrari have a really trick looking new exhaust.

Old exhaust

I love the cheat sheet posted inside the car

That's a complicated brake.

In my opinion this exhaust exist is actually relatively simple.

http://www.formula1.com/wi/597x478/sutton/2011/d11cdn311.jpg

A rare angle of a front wing.
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gallery/pictures/2011/f1/gp-canada-09jun/048_medium.jpg

Back of the red bull. Ridiculous. That diffuser is huge! Look at the winglets? on the rear wheels. It looks like they are also dumping a ton of hot air out of the chassis down low near the tail light.

Renault win the most complicated looking wings award

...and complicated exhaust

macca

Examining the rear wing flow.

FI

I love the cheat sheet

No keys, drill to start, uh huh! you know what it is....

I didnt even know they were sponsored by Airbus until they took the damn side pods off. Probably the only company on the car Vijay doesn't own.

I saw im at the Canada GP...completely sauced. Awesome dude.

interesting exhaust bits.

Virgin. YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Pretty rare shot of the underside of the wing.

Actually I have to say they are doing a lot of things right lately. They finally secured a partnership with McLaren which should help with development.

Interesting that this wing is so flat. There are hardly any strakes like some of the top teams.

Williams:

Re-signed with Renault!!!!!!!! Awesome news for them and for all Williams fans.

Simple floor. Probably the simplest I have seen. Althought a full shot is hard to find.

That radical gear box. Problematic, but very low profile!

They are definitely pushing some air through the rear section of the car. Look at the angle on the drive shafts.

This happened right in front of me in Canada. Total rookie move. He literally went from pit exit directly into the wall. No one was around, just wet.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thank god:
Jul.15 (GMM) Bosses have reportedly dismissed moves to enclose the cockpits of formula one cars.

Technical chiefs began to investigate the possibility of jet fighter-style canopies for the cockpits in the wake of Felipe Massa's near-fatal crash in Hungary two years ago.

"You can have covers and you can have canopies, but you also have to be able to get at a driver to extract him. There are a lot of secondary considerations," said Ross Brawn.

According to the Daily Mirror, F1 chiefs have rejected the idea of a roof over the drivers' heads.

The report said the FIA had considered "poly-carbonate screens" for the cars, but "drivers fear the device could prevent escape in the event of a car overturning or catching fire", while spectators would be "at danger from flying debris ricocheting off the screens".

Alonso in the the car that Ferrari won their first race in, in 1951. owned by Bernie
‪ruben9218gz's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ugh
According to Rule 5.19 of the revised technical regulations (which you can find in PDF form here), "The car must be run in electric mode (no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine) at all times when being driven in the pit lane." The new rules, which come into effect together with the new engines in 2014, also mandate the inclusion of on-board ignition (as opposed to the external starter motors used currently). In order to accommodate electric-only propulsion in and out of pit lane, the new Energy Recovery Systems have been increased in capacity to 120 kW, and theywill also be allowed to recapture energy from exhaust fumes as well. Unfortunately, that also means waving goodbye to the high-pitched whine of the engine holding at the pit-lane rev limiter every time it goes in for fresh rubber, but as they'd say at FIA headquarters in France, c'est la vie.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/fia-mandates-electric-only-propulsion-for-f1-grand-prix-pit-lane/

2014 rules (PDF)
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A0425C3A0A7D69C0C12578D3002EBECA/$FILE/2014_F1_TECHNICAL_REGULATIONS_-_Published_on_20.07.pdf

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I thought this was pretty cool especially considering this site is a bike site first.

http://www.mclaren.com/page/double-victory-for-mclaren-at-the-weekend-2?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=NL2011072&utm_campaign=preHungary
It was a great weekend for McLaren with Lewis Hamilton's victory at the Santander German Grand Prix, but this wasn’t our only success - cyclist Mark Cavendish won the prestigious Tour de France green jersey on an S-Works + McLaren Venge bike.

Cavendish became the first Briton to claim the jersey, awarded to the rider who scores the most points over the course of the tour, just a couple of hours after Lewis took the chequered flag at the Nurburgring. Cavendish won five of 21 stages, including the final one which ends on the Champs-Elysees in Paris.

“I’m super happy; it [the victory] did not come easy. I was close the previous years but now the goal is achieved. It’s been an incredible day,” he said.

McLaren Applied Technologies (MAT) developed the S-Works + McLaren Venge in collaboration with Specialized, the American performance bike manufacturer. It was launched in March this year and won its first race - Italy’s Milan-San Remo one day sprint event. Matthew Goss, riding the bike, became the first ever Australian to win the race.

Specialized found the perfect match in MAT when looking for a carbon fibre expert to take the bike’s frame to an even more extreme level of stiffness, weight and aerodynamic performance. MAT was able to improve its efficiency by 10-15 per cent by optimising the way the carbon was cut and applied – more than anything previously seen in the cycling world.

“The collaboration with McLaren Applied Technologies allowed us to dive further into analysis, optimisation, and cutting edge manufacturing which make the Venge truly state-of-the-art,” said Specialized’s composite design engineer Brad Paquin.

We’ll keep you posted on how the Venge does in future races!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Going to be a great fight this weekend with possible presents from mother nature. Looks like possible rain on Sunday. Hopefully we get a continuation of the fight we had in Germany and by that I mean 2011 ain't over just yet!

Looks like McLaren even got some test time in today for Spa. Wings on the left are for Spa. Wings on the right are for this weekend. Big down force difference.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Great, they took Turkey off the schedule for next year.

At least we have Valencia!!!!
the turkey's turnout always has been abismal which is why they are dropping it. as boring as Valencia's race is/was/going to be, the turnout is still better.
hopefully by moving Austin to November, itlll somewhat guarantee it actually gets completed

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
the turkey's turnout always has been abismal which is why they are dropping it. as boring as Valencia's race is/was/going to be, the turnout is still better.
hopefully by moving Austin to November, itlll somewhat guarantee it actually gets completed
Since I don't attend either Turkey or Valencia, I still want Turkey.

Valencia puts me out faster than an anesthesiologist. It's such a horrible race on a horrible track.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
awesome race this weekend. one of the better, more competitive ones this year. should be another huge boost for Button.
Vettel had a few uncharacteristic mistakes, just like in Canada. i find it funny remembering back two years ago when everyone was saying he was too young and too immature as a racer to be a world champion.

the Scuderia needs to pick up their qualifying pace to really be competitive for the rest of the year IMO...though i am happy to see them and McLaren taking the fight to RBR finally. Hamilton needs to be a bit smarter on the track too....nearly taking out di Resta was a stupid move.

i love F1 factory tours

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
In NASCAR they would have had to stop the race to have a prayer and a song by Toby Keith for the marshal before they could drop the green flag again...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what are the odds that it doesnt happen
Aug.10 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has admitted that next year's inaugural US grand prix will not be held in June as originally scheduled.

Ostensibly, the move to November is to avoid the hot Texas summer, but cynics have also suggested it will give race organisers more time to build the bespoke circuit in Austin.

But an unintended side-effect of the move is a clause in Texas legislation that means state funding for the event can only be released one year in advance of the event.

That could mean real construction cannot begin until much later this year.
http://www.gptours.com/index.php?command=show&what=news&id=5354

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I wish they would hurry up and release the 2012 calendar already. Ive got miles to get rid of.
they have a provisional calendar out already but obviously doesnt show Austin's move and possibly India and Bahrain's move as well (Bahrain wants to be moved to the end of the year)

11 March – Bahrain Grand Prix (Sakhir)
18 March – Australian Grand Prix (Melbourne)
1 April – Malaysian Grand Prix (Sepang)
8 April – Chinese Grand Prix (Shanghai)
22 April – Korean Grand Prix (Yeongam)
6 May – Turkish Grand Prix (Istanbul) *
20 May – Spanish Grand Prix (Barcelona)
27 May – Monaco Grand Prix (Monte Carlo)
10 June – Canadian Grand Prix (Montreal)
17 June – United States Grand Prix (Austin)
1 July – European Grand Prix (Valencia)
15 July – British Grand Prix (Silverstone)
29 July – German Grand Prix (Hockenheim)
5 August – Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungaroring)
2 September – Belgian Grand Prix (Spa-Francorchamps)
9 September – Italian Grand Prix (Monza)
30 September – Singapore Grand Prix (Marina Bay)
14 October – Japanese Grand Prix (Suzuka)
28 October – Indian Grand Prix (Greater Noida)
11 November – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (Yas Marina)
25 November – Brazilian Grand Prix (Interlagos)

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
they have a provisional calendar out already but obviously doesnt show Austin's move and possibly India and Bahrain's move as well (Bahrain wants to be moved to the end of the year)

11 March – Bahrain Grand Prix (Sakhir)
18 March – Australian Grand Prix (Melbourne)
1 April – Malaysian Grand Prix (Sepang)
8 April – Chinese Grand Prix (Shanghai)
22 April – Korean Grand Prix (Yeongam)
6 May – Turkish Grand Prix (Istanbul) *
20 May – Spanish Grand Prix (Barcelona)
27 May – Monaco Grand Prix (Monte Carlo)
10 June – Canadian Grand Prix (Montreal)
17 June – United States Grand Prix (Austin)
1 July – European Grand Prix (Valencia)
15 July – British Grand Prix (Silverstone)
29 July – German Grand Prix (Hockenheim)
5 August – Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungaroring)
2 September – Belgian Grand Prix (Spa-Francorchamps)
9 September – Italian Grand Prix (Monza)
30 September – Singapore Grand Prix (Marina Bay)
14 October – Japanese Grand Prix (Suzuka)
28 October – Indian Grand Prix (Greater Noida)
11 November – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (Yas Marina)
25 November – Brazilian Grand Prix (Interlagos)
Hmmm Im thinking Aussie 2012.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Why do you think it wont happen? Just F1's luck in the US?
the promoters have been dodging bullets left and right when it comes to securing funds from the city and state. lawsuits have been filed against the comptroller because she purportedly fast tracked the money to the track. and when sh!t like this happens, it only raises doubts.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
August 19th--cant wait.
we're going next weekend :thumb:

great article on info provided by FOM
A total of 15 of F1's 19 races are funded with government money. Last year governments invested an estimated $410.5m in the races and got a return of around 465% from the 1.5m spectators spending in the local area during the Grand Prix weekends......
Unsurprisingly, ticket sales bring in the lion's share of the revenue. On average, they comprise $22m of the $27m revenue for permanent circuits and $29.5m of the $32.5m brought in by races on city streets. With hugely popular races such as Singapore and Australia amongst them, street circuits get higher average attendance than races at permanent venues where Grands Prix in destinations such as Turkey and China have become famous for their empty grandstands.

The costs of renting grandstands, pits and fencing comes to a total of around $30m and accounts for the big difference in costs between street circuits and permanent venues. The other key costs are staff, marketing and vehicle hire which come to over $10m for both types of race. This gives permanent venues total annual costs estimated at $48m whereas street races have to pay around $87.5m. It leaves the permanent venues with an annual deficit of $21m with street races losing $55m. Singapore's government for example, is believed to be investing $60m in the race every year. Governments generally pick up these bills and there is good reason why they are prepared to pay more for street races.
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/56182.html

Last edited:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I thought about doing an NYC/Diablo trip to check out that film release in the city. Looks cool.

In other news I just bought my plane ticket for Australia next year!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I thought about doing an NYC/Diablo trip to check out that film release in the city. Looks cool.

In other news I just bought my plane ticket for Australia next year!
might want to buy your tix ahead of time since im sure theyll be selling quick.

sweet! Australia back to the #1 race in 2012 as it should be

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
the promoters have been dodging bullets left and right when it comes to securing funds from the city and state. lawsuits have been filed against the comptroller because she purportedly fast tracked the money to the track. and when sh!t like this happens, it only raises doubts.
The promoters are seeking letters of intent from AV and Media companies around the NY Metro area to service the event in New Jersey. F1 has all the camera operators in Europe in house like the tour. None of them are allowed to work here in the States if they could possibly displace an American worker. That and your company gets an official sponsor designation too.

Last edited:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA

AWESOME! Luis Perez Companc from the WRC circuit breaking the Laguna Seca track record in a Ferrari F2004.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
1-i thought Laguna Seca had a noise restriction
2-ddnt the 2004's had TC. maybe the corse cliente cars down have it?
3-awesome for a 40 year old

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i was hoping for a bit more excitement from the race but we did see some in the beginning. im glad they let Schumi race...he did have a pretty damn good race coming from dead last to 5th in his 20 year anniversary.

it looks like a few guys knocked themselves out of contention for the overall with their finish today...and some even knocked themselves out literally (LH.)

im really hoping that Ferrari's car next year really will be as promising as they are making it out to be....especially since theyve pretty much given up on 2011 :mad:
im crossing my fingers the other Tifosi will bring good mojo to the Scuderia at Monza like last year!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
"official" 2012 Calendar
November 18th!!
2012 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar:
18/03 Australia
25/03 Malaysia
15/04 China
22/04 Bahrain
13/05 Spain
27/05 Monaco
10/06 Canada
24/06 Europe
08/07 Great Britain
22/07 Germany
29/07 Hungary
02/09 Belgium
09/09 Italy
23/09 Singapore
07/10 Japan
14/10 Korea
28/10 India
04/11 Abu Dhabi
18/11 United States
25/11 Brazil
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/8/12472.html

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think at this point its a matter of everyone switching gears to 2012 or battle for 2nd in the constructors, or lewis vs jenson.
Ferrari and Mclaren have already said that they are focusing on the 2012 cars...its the only realistic thing to do now w/ RBR so damn far ahead.