Quantcast

Any Formula 1 Fans?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yeah its just a cover for the instrumentation used to measure the front wing loading. It wont be there come race time. Red Bull took a less clean but equally effective approach.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
they changed the test regulations on how to test for a flexy wing in hopes of banning them. We as fans know better than that though! Im sure that wing passes all the FIA tests, just like it did last year but when that thing goes to track, it does exactly what you see in that photo.

As an F1 fan I love it. A nice fat middle finger to the rule book. As a Macca fan..god d**nit this again!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thats why teams have hundreds or thousands of people working on their cars i suppose....to skate around the fine line of the rules and get the most of their cars.
the flexy wing design even made it into Ferrari's production car, the 458 Italia.

Ferrari also has changed their car name from the F150 to the Ferrari F150th Italia

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah its just a cover for the instrumentation used to measure the front wing loading. It wont be there come race time. Red Bull took a less clean but equally effective approach.
That's pretty interesting. Hadn't seen a shot of the full front of the car.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Forza Ferrari!

new color coding for the new tires this year:
The color break-down is:
Wet – orange
Intermediate – light blue
Super-soft – red
Soft – yellow
Medium – white
Hard – silver

also, its crazy to hear how much money was lost because the Bahrain race was canceled...$100mil total
Some of the biggest losers will be F1's 12 teams since it is believed there are penalty clauses in their contracts with sponsors that would be triggered by missing a race.
Data from F1's trade guide, Formula Money, show that the teams are expected to lose an estimated $40m from missing Bahrain, with Ferrari set for the biggest fall at $11m. The Italian team receives more income from sponsorship than any of its rivals and so it stands to lose more from the race being scrapped.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8343633/F1-to-lose-100m-from-Bahrain-Grand-Prix-cancellation.html

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
kinda a boring weekend unless you are a RBR fan.

tough break for the Sauber boys. Perez and Kobayashi performed pretty well, its just too bad their team brought a illegal car. and is anyone surprised the HRT team didnt make the qualifying 107% cut? im not

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Vettel domination without KERS is pretty scary.

RE: Sauber. C'mon man, if youre going to have illegal crap at least make it pass the silly FIA inspections. Take Red Bull for example. Flexing sh*t everywhere.

qually lap. Tell me that wing isnt moving.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Vettel domination without KERS is pretty scary.

qually lap. Tell me that wing isnt moving.
they said they are going to runs their KERS system in Malaysia. if thats the case then all the other teams are screwed...unless their system does prove unreliable.

and that wing does look like its moving. its even more noticeable under braking. i guess they found a way around the FIA's way of testing wing flex

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
The FIA needs to do more incentivizing with KERS, 6.6 seconds a lap is hardly worth it. An extra 80 bhp for 6.6 seconds has been calculated to roughly .2 s/lap.

If i had Adrian Newey as my chief designer I would hardly be interested in using KERS. Considering I could pay him to do what he does best and find .2 seconds via aero work.

I like the fact that Red Bull have bypassed the FIA rules with their design don't get me wrong. I just wish other teams would do something about it. whether it be develop or fight it together.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The FIA needs to do more incentivizing with KERS, 6.6 seconds a lap is hardly worth it. An extra 80 bhp for 6.6 seconds has been calculated to roughly .2 s/lap.

I like the fact that Red Bull have bypassed the FIA rules with their design don't get me wrong. I just wish other teams would do something about it. whether it be develop or fight it together.
during the race, they did say some teams decided not to use KERS this year because they wanted to invest their limited budget in aero work since the system really doesnt give you a huge advantage like you said....it does make sense.

i surprised the other big teams havent found a way to flex their wings like RBR has. Ferrari spent the most time testing and probably has just as many geeks working on their design. i bet they are kicking themselves for not offering Newey enough money to join the Scuderia

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yeah. I guess as a MAcca fan thats a good thing. Losing Pat Fry and Newey would be a shame.

Looks like Hammy stepped to the plate first this year with a flexi wing outlash.

Hamilton questions RBR front wing
Tuesday 29th March 2011

Lewis Hamilton insists Red Bull's controversial front wing flexes more than the rules allow.

The Milton Keynes team's wing caused a major storm at last year's German Grand Prix and the FIA was forced introduced heavier flex tests. Red Bull's cars passed the deflection tests and they've had no problems since then.

However, Hamilton has brought the issue back into the spotlight after Sebastian Vettel put in a dominant display at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

"Did you see Vettel's front wing?" he is quoted by Bild "It bends down to the ground and gives him about half a second. Either we [FIA] close this loophole or we [McLaren] copy it."

According to German paper, McLaren are considering lodging a protest with motor sport's governing body over the issue.

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko hit back at accusations that their front wing is illegal, saying the whole saga is becoming "boring".

"They try it again and again.. And we pass each test."
http://www.planet-f1.com/news/18227/6841380/Hamilton-questions-RBR-front-wing

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Sorta off topic...

call me a neewb, but I've only really started following F1 since '09. Every week, something about this sport blows my mind. Just watched the top gear episode where Hammond drives the F1 car. Just wow... :shocked: Cant even imagine what it must be like to drive one of these things.

Now with the whole wing debate... the level of competition/engineering/development in this sport is amazing.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just watched the top gear episode where Hammond drives the F1 car. Just wow... Cant even imagine what it must be like to drive one of these things.
i believe he was also drove a car with T/C which cars arent allowed to have anymore. plus the drivers actually have to use their steering wheels constantly and drive the cars to their limit

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
My gosh Vettal's making it look easy. He needed a tenth in qualifying and got it. Once again looked like cruise control after a non eventful (for him) start. Webber got gassed off the start. He's got to be thinking there is a difference in the Red Bull cars still. Couldn't be him :rolleyes: As much as I wanted to see MSC on the podium again I have abandoned that too. Ferrari should have worked harder in the off season. Red Bull again no KERS? Was there but not working? So they had the extra weight but not the HP advantage. Good drive for Heidfeld today.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ferrari should have worked harder in the off season. Red Bull again no KERS? Was there but not working? So they had the extra weight but not the HP advantage.
Ferrari put the most testing miles in during the winter and were on top with their times too.
they did say Webber's KERS was not working but didnt mention if Vettel was using it at all.

i was kind of hoping for the big down pour to make it more interesting than it was

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
/\ FIA already got the vid.

Did that look like he lost the steering prior to the turn to you? He really got a huge air out of that.
I realize Ferrari logged the most miles, but they were behind the tech curve last year to Red Bull and don't seem to have made up much ground there. It's good they have a reliable car, but I highly doubt they were hoping for a reliable 5th place car.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I realize Ferrari logged the most miles, but they were behind the tech curve last year to Red Bull and don't seem to have made up much ground there.
i think everyone was behind RBR in terms of speed. look how they dominated nearly every qualifying and basically the whole year. this year was the year for everyone to catch up, not just Ferrari. i bet Ferrari is kicking themselves for not offering Andrian Newey enough money

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
I know it's not "proper" but I would love to see Newey's contract. Safe to say it would take alot more to get him after this year. You'd think anybody could build a flexy wing! Didn't hamilton say they were "just a drinks company"?

just saw the debrief on speed. I think Petrov had steering issues prior to the launch. That was a wierd exit from the track he did.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I know it's not "proper" but I would love to see Newey's contract. Safe to say it would take alot more to get him after this year. You'd think anybody could build a flexy wing!
McLaren is probably kicking themselves for letting him go. itll take deep pockets to sway Newey to another team after his new current one expires and theres only a few teams that have those deep pockets....RBR, Ferrari, McLaren, MBGP(?)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I know it's not "proper" but I would love to see Newey's contract. Safe to say it would take alot more to get him after this year. You'd think anybody could build a flexy wing!
Anybody can.

Building a flexy wing that can pass the FIA tests-apparently only Newey can do that to this point...

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
just saw the debrief on speed. I think Petrov had steering issues prior to the launch. That was a wierd exit from the track he did.
Think I read that he blamed it partially on collecting some of the marbles that were off-line (and everywhere). Seemed like he kept his foot to the floor while he was way off the track, which I can't imagine he'd do if he felt that the steering had broken.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hopefully it still happens...

The Austin, Texas, track that will play host to the 2012 Formula One United States Grand Prix finally has a formal name.

Austin track officials announced at a news conference on Tuesday afternoon that the 3.4-mile, 20-turn circuit will officially be known as Circuit of the Americas.

A date for the 2012 event was not announced.
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-austin-track-gets-a-name/