Quantcast

Any Formula 1 Fans?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I only watched the race summary, but in it, they were commenting on how close the cars could get to each other without losing composure. Seems like there were a few "left, no right, no left" in and out overtakes in the corners. Not something that would have been possible in the previous gen cars given the slipstream issues I take it?
It sounds like the aero makes a huge difference in how close they can get and follow. When you see Max stalking Lewis a whole lap because there is one PRIME overtake with DRS, it's a huge difference from last year.

I would like to see them address the truck layouts now.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Saw that. You have to wonder what the original contract was for.
I thought it was like $10mm a year. He is middle of the pack salary, so 2x to walk is a big ask.

It does say any salary he gets from another team would need to go towards repayment to McLaren.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I thought it was like $10mm a year. He is middle of the pack salary, so 2x to walk is a big ask.

It does say any salary he gets from another team would need to go towards repayment to McLaren.
So Alpine sign him for $1 for 2023 rising to $15m for the next

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
https://f1briefings.com/news/szafnauer-90-chance-alpine-takes-piastri-case-to-the-high-court-jd22

So if you win, do you make him drive for you? Do you really want someone like that on your team? And if he ends up being a bust, then what?
Similar happened in the late 2000's with Button. He thought he'd signed for Williams, Honda/BAT (I think) said they still had a valid contract. It went to court and Honda won, he had to race for them.

He recently said it was a good thing as Williams were on a downward trend and mebbe the next year when Honda bailed and turned into Brawn he won the title.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Max is unstoppable at this point. You could start him in the back at anywhere but Monaco and he is going to win it. He's driving too well in a top car.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Clearly still not much love between Hamilton and Alonso the way he dismissed what Alonso may have said, while admitting culpability.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you missed this drive, it's a master class. He goes from P14 to 6th in the first lap at Spa and won it in the end.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Piastri confirmed at McLaren for next year. Alpine's contract wasn't the winner in front of the CRB. Definitely interested to see him drive and see if he's worth the hype.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Piastri confirmed at McLaren for next year. Alpine's contract wasn't the winner in front of the CRB. Definitely interested to see him drive and see if he's worth the hype.
If he's not, there's going to be a lot of finger pointing for sure. He's certainly made a name for himself in F1 before starting his first race.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah, I think Webber did him a solid getting him a legit seat for next year. I hope he does well and McLaren can get a car worth a damn before Audi buys them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Seriously, in a car he's never driven before. The Williams isn't awful and he proved that.

It was a great race until the last 5 laps. But Max was 17 seconds clear, nobody was catching him. But I wanted to see Lando pass Lewis. :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Russel to take out Sainz and Verstappen at the first corner so that Lewis can carry on to the win.