Quantcast

Any Good Beginners DH courses?

Jimmy the D

Chimp
Apr 28, 2006
Hey I'm new to this forum and also just starting to get into DH (well looking into it). I was wondering if there were any good courses in the northern VA area. I currently ride an 2002 enduro pro ( I don't know if that will really work for DH but I have to start somewhere)

Thanks

Jimmy

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
Go to the Watershed, or better yet check out the races at whitetail this weekend. The riders are all pretty cool, and if you have a question on which line to take, everyone is pretty cool at explaining what works best. You do not have to race, but you can buy the lift ticket and ride all weekend. Also, a not so gnarly place to ride is Wintergreen, the runs are short, and it's not too steep. But that is three hours away.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
Jimmy the D said:
Hey I'm new to this forum and also just starting to get into DH (well looking into it). I was wondering if there were any good courses in the northern VA area. I currently ride an 2002 enduro pro ( I don't know if that will really work for DH but I have to start somewhere)

Thanks

Jimmy
Welcome!

Your Enduro will be fine for the DH runs we have around here as long as you aren't trying to do crazy things (but you don't need to be going down a hill to do those things :) )

You should go to Whitetail this weekend, I'll be there and many others will too, I'm not sure if I'll race or not, and even if I do I'm just running the course for fun...don't look for me clearing doubles and triples or trying to break any land speed records.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Wintergreen is a nice way to try DH since it is shorter than many of the race venues, but is technical enough to make it fun.

Its also a short trip from the central VA area. Most mountains have a beginner trail on them that are loads of fun.

Other mountains are Snowshoe, Diablo and a few others.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I learned to ride DH at Snowshoe on a GT LTS-1 with a 5" Bomber fork. We rode all the stuff the makes up both the pro and sport courses. Just not the big drops.

Mike