Quantcast

Any good DH in Western NY???

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
My friends and I ride at Swain Mountain but are looking for any other decent mountains around western NY that offer lift access DH'ing. I know there are a ton of places in the Adirondacks but we're just looking for places a little closer to home. Any ideas?

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Jon is correct and your not that far from either one.

Plattekill = free camping
Whiteface= almost free motel rooms in Wilmington, N.Y.

Both ski areas have had lift service biking since the 1990's.

Can't go wrong!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
I didn't even know Swain had trails. Are they any good?
Swain's trails are fun but some can be a little steep in spots. We're been going there a lot last year through this year and have yet to wait in line for the lift for more than a few minutes. They are doing motocross races there this year so a few of the DH trails dump you out at the top of the motocross track which is also pretty damn fun. Nothing like huckin yourself off of moto jumps with your mtn bike :thumb:

The only thing you have to watch out for is that they are not open every weekend for lift access mtn biking so you need to check the schedule on their website and plan out your DH weekends.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Swain's trails are fun but some can be a little steep in spots. We're been going there a lot last year through this year and have yet to wait in line for the lift for more than a few minutes. They are doing motocross races there this year so a few of the DH trails dump you out at the top of the motocross track which is also pretty damn fun. Nothing like huckin yourself off of moto jumps with your mtn bike :thumb:

The only thing you have to watch out for is that they are not open every weekend for lift access mtn biking so you need to check the schedule on their website and plan out your DH weekends.
Cheers for the info! I'm in Ohio...sounds like it might be worth the trip. How would you compare it to 7 springs?

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Cheers for the info! I'm in Ohio...sounds like it might be worth the trip. How would you compare it to 7 springs?
Never been to 7 Springs before... but just be aware that Swain is not that big of a mountain. Dont know if you have been there before or not it is nothing like the places you'll find in eastern NY. It's just a fun small mountain that is way less of a drive then places in the Adirondacks.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Never been to 7 Springs before... but just be aware that Swain is not that big of a mountain. Dont know if you have been there before or not it is nothing like the places you'll find in eastern NY. It's just a fun small mountain that is way less of a drive then places in the Adirondacks.
Yeah, no worries. I've ridden all over the place, my expectations are not too high. Just nice to ride some new trails and have a lift to ferry you up!

Wish Holiday Valley would open up some bike trails...

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah, no worries. I've ridden all over the place, my expectations are not too high. Just nice to ride some new trails and have a lift to ferry you up!
Just checked the website and there are only 3 more weekends left for lift access mtn biking at Swain...

Sept 10th-11th
Oct 1st-2nd
Oct 8th-9th

I know a bunch of us will definitely be there Sept 10th (this Saturday) and possibly one of the days of the Oct 1st-2nd weekend.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
If you are more than an hour from Swain it is not worth the drive.

Psilde, Holimont(next to holiday valley) might have lift access riding soon

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We need some kind of Ray's on the east side of Buffalo. Downhill Mike's Indoor Mountain Bike Park? How 'bout the old Trico building? Anyone in there? Some of our old warehouses are like mountains!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
We need some kind of Ray's on the east side of Buffalo. Downhill Mike's Indoor Mountain Bike Park? How 'bout the old Trico building? Anyone in there? Some of our old warehouses are like mountains!
If there was an indoor mtn bike park near by then I'd be one of the first in line to get in :thumb:

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
Hey Boogenman how the hell are ya! If WNY gets real lift access I'll move back for sure! Does WNMBA still have thier spandex all in a bunch?(HA HA SPANDEX!)
I moved out of WNY for the lack of lift access and support for DH or FR.
I'm now in eastern pa, (Had) blue mtn in the backyard,and an hour from diablo. Riding is so much better here, but for some reason I still kinda miss WNY......

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
im not knocking swain and it can be fun if its dry and you are on a 5"-6" bike

they have xc trails with lift access, the steep sections are 15-20 yds long and not steep like platty or whiteface

i have been to 7 springs and i would say take the weekend trip to plattekill, whiteface before swain