Quantcast

Any good riding this weekend?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My wife and I took advantage of the long weekend and went camping in the Great North Mountain area just west of Woodstock, VA.

There was beer:

Wine, woman, and dog:

There was fire:

There was food. Mmmmmm Chicken Pot Pie!

There were bikes:

Oh yeah and there was some riding too. We stuck mostly to 4wd / fire roads. We road up Cedar Creek to Bread Rd. then hooked up on the Little Sluice Mnt Trail, across Tuscarora trail to the Sugar Knob and down Little Stoney Creek. It was a pretty good ride. We covered around 13 miles and 1500' of ups and downs.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
I bet the smell of chicken pot pie mixing with the smell of autumn leaves was breathtaking. Almost brings a tear to my eye just imagining it.

Yeah. It was pretty nice. The almost-full moon was just the icing on the cake.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
how'd you cook the biscuits?

i didn't ride, I made bagels and drank beer instead.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
jdschall said:
It's a dutch oven. Just put the hot coals on the top.
ohh, i'll have to try that. i cook with a dutch even almost every morning and my girlfriend thoroughly enjoys it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dfinn said:
ohh, i'll have to try that. i cook with a dutch even almost every morning and my girlfriend thoroughly enjoys it.
Ha Ha! My wife is not too fond of the "dutch oven" of which you speak!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
dh girlie said:
We did a killer ride this weekend...lots of kick ass single track, no foolios, no hikers...but lotsa climbing...and banana slugs...banana slugs are DISGUSTING...anyone ever see those gross ass things?
giant, slimy, disgusting things. when we backpacked part of the lost coast trail these things were all over the place.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Got shot down on Saturday, tried doing a mountain trail that starts at 2800 feet up. The town that it's close to had no snow and the snow started on the ridge above at about 3500, so i figured we were good. Well we get all the way out there (100 mile drive) and there was over a foot of snow at the trailhead.
(insert game show loser music here)

Then on Sunday had a great ride. It was a birthday ride for some mt. bike club members and it was good times. The trails were easy but were in the nicest winter shape for lowland Pac N.W. trails i've ever seen in my life. Hardly any puddles, hard pack, and sloped. As it's been raining in the area i really couldn't believe it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dfinn said:
giant, slimy, disgusting things. when we backpacked part of the lost coast trail these things were all over the place.

Those do look quite disgusting. We don't have anything like that on the east coast. We do get big giant millipedes, but they are fairly harmless. They make a good crunch when you run over them.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Yup! Did an awesome day of beershuttles on Saturday at one of the local areas. No pics, too busy riding!

Maybe I'll take my cam next weekend. If I get off my bike I'll let you know what us hooligans get up to every weekend...