Quantcast

Any good trails near portland, OR

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
I have never biked down there before. I am going there in august so was just wondering if there are any good places to ride down there. The farthest away from portland I would like to go is about an hour.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
What kind of riding? Excellent XC within 1 hour, and fantastic freeride / DH within 1.5 hours. XC would include trails in the Coast Range such as the Wilson River Trail, Brown's Camp (so so, good riding, but lots of rednecks - or dirt bike and gun enthusiasts if you prefer). Also, XC near Mt. Hood is great (about 1.5 hours).

DH at Syncline (which is also great XC if you want to ride up), freeride at Post Canyon (Hood River - shuttle) and Black Rock (Falls City - hike, or shuttle if you hit an official shuttle day).

Post on here close to your trip and you'll find some riders.

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
looking for any freeride stuff. Some people told me about mt hood ski bowl. So I was thinking about checking that out

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Seriously. Skibowl will be a MAJOR letdown unless you're looking for strict downhill (and it's not even great for that). Post Canyon is the shiz for freeride near Portland. Again, post on here close to your trip (or tell people your dates now) and I'm sure someone will be available to show you around so long as you're a competent rider that won't ride past his limits (which is easy to do there) on someone else's watch...

For a sample of some of the riding available at Post, take a look at the vid below. The wooden ramps and ladder bridges, among some of the other shots, are from Post. Disregard the "all of this is from Moab, Utah..." - it isn't...

http://kidwoo.com/images/movies/Spring Training.wmv

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I just got back a few days ago...scapoose is a nice close ride and its fun...u do have to climb a lil but they are short...But honestly....Black rock is insane...I have not stopped thinking about that place since I left..its about 11/2 hours out of portland...but way worth it

3Pin Rider

Chimp
Jul 13, 2007
PNW
Post Canyon and Black Rock are both amazing places. I've had more fun at those spots then most lift served destinations.

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
thanks for all the different suggestions now I just have to decide between post and black rock because those are the two places my co workers also said to go to.