Quantcast

Any guinea pigs that built up the cheap ,Chinese carbon rims?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why wouldn't they last long? It takes a long time for epoxy to break down....

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Link to the rims in question?
I have repaired carbon rims that were namebrand. Unless they got some sort of special armoring rocks will kill them no matter what the brand.

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I have a pair of the new wide ones on the way. At approximately 400gr they are probably not really intended for anything but normal trail riding, definitely not for dh use.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
why not DH?
and why does a 450g stan rims are good for DH and this carbon rims are not?
I think that 400g carbon is stronger than 450g aluminium... no?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Thing is, a Stans flow rims is not meant to be for dh either, some parts are usable for dh applications by stretching their capabilities but if you think a flow rim will hold up to proper dh then the carbon one will probably do to as they are most likely pretty comparable. Personally i will not ride it for dh because in my eyes that is quite far outside its intended use.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
There's still no carbon rims wide enough to give a DH tire a good profile and the only carbon rims I've seen marketed as DH are Enve and the upcoming Havocs. I'm waiting for cheap (<$200) wide Chinese rims.

SCARY

Not long enough
Yeah,those are the rims I'm talking about.^^^

Ive been using 721s for all time,and think those are 21mm interior.I don't really get the wide rim thing,but I use higher pressure and like the profile of the tire.I combo,I would think,roll faster.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
rim repair.jpg

This is a carbon rim used for downhill (not mine). It took a huge rock hit that flatted the tyre, I repaired it. But still.. smashing rocks is pretty common on a DH bike.

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Yeah,those are the rims I'm talking about.^^^

Ive been using 721s for all time,and think those are 21mm interior.I don't really get the wide rim thing,but I use higher pressure and like the profile of the tire.I combo,I would think,roll faster.
I believe they aren't ready yet, I've been following the thread on MTBR and they are further delayed I think they're going to be ready mid-June.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
My wider ones are on the way, so it should be all good from now. They may be back order though.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
View attachment 111212

This is a carbon rim used for downhill (not mine). It took a huge rock hit that flatted the tyre, I repaired it. But still.. smashing rocks is pretty common on a DH bike.
I did that to 4 alloy rear rims on my DH bike last season. At least the carbon is reapairable but obviously not indestructable so I'm not gonna get the current $800+ offerings. $200 per rim with the promise of this happening less often than with alloy is worth it to me.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Gotta hand it to the Chinese, it took four days to get the rims to the northern part of Sweden. It can take as long or longer for domestic packages, will test them hard on sunday.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Gotta hand it to the Chinese, it took four days to get the rims to the northern part of Sweden. It can take as long or longer for domestic packages, will test them hard on sunday.
Are they going on your DH bike? If they last I might give them a shot over a new set of 823's.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
No i am going to run them on my trail bike but i think i will consciously abuse them a little to see if they hold up, i hope that they can make their way on to the dh bike in the future though for lighter riding.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I did that to 4 alloy rear rims on my DH bike last season. At least the carbon is reapairable but obviously not indestructable so I'm not gonna get the current $800+ offerings. $200 per rim with the promise of this happening less often than with alloy is worth it to me.
You're missing the point, you will still kill carbon rims by hitting them on rocks. Just as much as w/ an alloy rim. Carbon will just be much lighter/stiffer, but you will kill it just as easily.

You may be able to spread some epoxy on there, but once a carbon rim is cracked, it will never be as strong as before. There is no way to "re-attach" all the separate plies that were sheared, you can just fix what is on the surface.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
You are spot on there. About the only thing that you can't really repair on a carbon rim that I have seen is nipple pull through. When they break give us a call :)

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
You're missing the point, you will still kill carbon rims by hitting them on rocks. Just as much as w/ an alloy rim. Carbon will just be much lighter/stiffer, but you will kill it just as easily.

You may be able to spread some epoxy on there, but once a carbon rim is cracked, it will never be as strong as before. There is no way to "re-attach" all the separate plies that were sheared, you can just fix what is on the surface.
Hmmm, sorta right and wrong at the same time. I take a lot of the area surrounding the fracture away, both inside and outside the rim. With correct prep and a nice layup over and around the effected area I doubt you will ever get a repeat fracture there. Especially when you throw in some aramid as well. Just sticking epoxy over it isn't going to do anything beneficial.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
So any horror stories yet? Has anyone attempted using these for DH yet? The thread on MTBR shows a few (rims) with possibly questionable quality control. Do you guys that have them reckon they are worth it?

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I have a set on the trail bike but have only been out on them once so far. Seemed nice and stiff. Nothing revolutionary though.

I've got a set of heavier rims at 410g that were intended for the DH bike. Starting to have second thoughts as after a while off DH, I'd forgotten how hard it can be on wheels. That said I'm thinking a 410g carbon rim is probably comparable to a 470g alu flow rim...probably...