Quantcast

any hippie hunters out there?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
They'z comin' after mah ammos!!

Copper's too expensive and not made in every caliber...I see a business opportunity instead of a whining opportunity... *cough*NRA*cough*

Also, wtf are they on about with trying to take away guns from hunters....veiled attempts indeed...so heavily painted I can't see through it apparently...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Clearly the public should be able to use depleted uranium rounds.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Okay...so as I wildlife biologist I'm going to hop into this one. I don't hunt. I've killed a few animals for the government but none for my personal "enjoyment." I am a BIG advocate for non-lead containing ammunition. I'm fairly certain you all should be able to reason out why lead ammunition is bad...just follow the "food chain." Lead ingestion leads to a slow and painful death and usually of species that are already in decline.

If you think it's too expensive I can totally sympathize. So use your standard lead ammunition for practice and a copper (or whatever non-lead bullet you choose) for the actual hunt. And yeah, you'll prob have to blow a few of the expensive rounds to fine-tune your sighting before you actually get out there...but if you have any respect for wildlife I would hope that you realize the true "worth" of the expense.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Lead poisoning is why I am always ultra careful of where I take cuts of meat from when ever mates have been out hunting (or on increasingly rare occasions when I go out myself after deer/ducks/rabbit/pigs ).

I also have had a long standing issue with what happens to rounds that miss the target out there as Kea down in the southern high country are well known for ingesting lead and dying as a result. Apparently due to the high level of curiosity and strong "Play" instinct they just love the texture for chewing on...... Kea are a high alpine parrot that are renowned for being insanely destructive of anything man made when they play, and they play a lot!!!

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
No worry of lead when Bow hunting, other then when an animal has already been shot and got away from a mighty hunter.

I would like to see the amount of lead a person is exposed to from firing a handgun say 50 rounds and then cleaning the gun.

Then the same amount that is in the paint on the crap bought at walmart.

Then the amount that was exposed to when cars ran leaded fuel.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
When does hippie season start? What is the limit on the daily take?

-ska todd

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Okay...so as I wildlife biologist I'm going to hop into this one. I don't hunt. I've killed a few animals for the government but none for my personal "enjoyment." I am a BIG advocate for non-lead containing ammunition. I'm fairly certain you all should be able to reason out why lead ammunition is bad...just follow the "food chain." Lead ingestion leads to a slow and painful death and usually of species that are already in decline.
i guess i don't follow: how does lead get ingested? it's not as if there's some tasty rm thread for a lead-based rue, or that your local javelina will dig & root for (assuming you like AZ swine)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
i guess i don't follow: how does lead get ingested? it's not as if there's some tasty rm thread for a lead-based rue, or that your local javelina will dig & root for (assuming you like AZ swine)

Ah Possibly he is referring to this bit that YOU LINKED TO in your first post?

He decided to collect and test venison samples that were going to be donated to a local program for the hungry. About half of the 100 samples -- all shot by hunters -- tested positive for lead, he said. Food banks and shelters pulled the meat from their shelves after the report.

"When we did this, I about fell out of my shoes," he said. "The scary thing is these fragments are almost like dust in the meat. They're not like metal fragments you would feel when you bite down."

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I would like to see the amount of lead a person is exposed to from firing a handgun say 50 rounds and then cleaning the gun.

QUOTE]

i was interested about that as well. we are tested for lead levels every other year and i haven't heard of any elevated test results yet. considering that i shoot an average of 600 rounds per month between open range days (every payday friday) and TACT training; i'd assume that you'd have to shoot an immense amount of ammo to be in any kind of trouble. heck, when i was in the marines we'd use our hats as brass buckets when we were cleaning up the range after shooting...and look at me now! :twitch: :imstupid: