Quantcast

Any Homebrewers?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I cracked a bottle of my latest brew (oatmeal stout) last night and started thinking about what I wanted to do next. Right now, I can only do ales, but I have plans for a fermentation chiller that will allow me to try lagers. I'm also still working with extracts, but would love to start all-grain brewing once I can get the equipment together. Let's see some recipes for what you think were some of your best brews.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
This ended up somewhere between Hoegaarden and Blue Moon. My best to date.

3.3 lbs Briess Wheat Liquid Extract
2 lb Munton’s Wheat Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Franco-Belge Pilsner Malt
1 lb Flaked Wheat
0.5 lb Weyermann Carafoam Malt
1.0 oz Hallertau Hersbruker hops (4.5% alpha) – 60 min
1.0 oz Coriander – 1 min
0.5 oz Bitter Orange Peel - 1 min
0.5 tsp Calcium Chloride
White Labs WLP400 Wit Yeast

Add 1.5 gal of water to a pot with the 0.5 tsp Calcium Chloride.
Stir well. Crack grains and steep with the Flaked Wheat in the water as it is heated to 150 degrees. Hold the water and grains at 150 degrees for 45 minutes.
Remove grains, add extract, and bring to a boil.
Add 1.0 oz Hallertau hop addition at beginning of boil. Boil for 59 minutes.
Add 1.0 oz Coriander and 0.5 oz Bitter Orange peel
addition. Boil for remaining 1 minute.
Cool wort allowing Coriander and Orange peel to steep for 1 additional minute then remove, aerate, and pitch yeast. Starting gravity should be around 1.050.
Carbonate this beer with 3/4 cup corn sugar. If kegging, carbonate slightly higher than normal.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
A close second. Think like Samuel Smith's or Young's Oatmeal Stout.

7 lbs John Bull Dark Liquid Extract
1 lb Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter Malt
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Munton’s Roasted Barley Malt
2 oz Kent Goldings hops (5% alpha) – 60 min
0.5 oz Fuggles hops - 15 minutes
0.5 oz Fuggles hops - 1 minute
White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Crack grains and steep for 30 minutes at 150 degrees. Remove grains, add extract, and bring to a boil. Add 2 oz Kent Golding hop addition at beginning of boil. Boil for 45 minutes.
Add 0.5 oz Fuggles hop addition. Boil for 14 minutes.
Add 0.5 oz Fuggles hop addition. Boil for 1 minute.
Cool wort, aerate, and pitch yeast.
Starting gravity should be around 1.060.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
my step dad and i, just finished a porter that was really good, and we've got an IPA thats bottled, but we're saving it until halloween. we also just got started on a wheat stout (i believe). i wasnt involved mush in that last one, and dont really recall what it was.

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
I've only brewed one batch about 10 years ago with a friend of mine that brews. It tasted good but nothing special. My friend made a batch of oatmeal stout around that time that was so smooth and tasty that it made Guiness taste like it was cheap piss. Good stuff.