Quantcast

Any Hope expert in tha house??

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
This question is tailor made for BrianHCM, but he's probably still asleep right now!

As my Blur saga continues, I had opted for Hope Mini Mono hydro brakes, but seems that they are backorder 3 weeks (although available at Jenson, but more expensive).

The regular Hope Mini are in stock, so I'm wondering if the Mono (monoblock) is worth the extra money or wait or if I would be perfectly happy with the regular Mini's.

I feel like I'm turning into a jacksonpt impersonator!
(no offense jackson!) :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is strictly from what I've read (no experience with them) so take it with a grain of salt, but from all accounts, the Mono Minis are significantly more powerful then the regular Mini's.

Also, the regular Mini's had a slight problem with the caliper body flexing/seperating, which the mono body fixes.

Clamps are available from Speedgoat for the regular Mini's to fix the problem. I was told that even with the clamps, they aren't as good as the Mono's.

edit: Call Jenson, tell them you can get it for <price> at <store> and see if they'll come down on their price.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by binary visions
This is strictly from what I've read (no experience with them) so take it with a grain of salt, but from all accounts, the Mono Minis are significantly more powerful then the regular Mini's.

Also, the regular Mini's had a slight problem with the caliper body flexing/seperating, which the mono body fixes.

Clamps are available from Speedgoat for the regular Mini's to fix the problem. I was told that even with the clamps, they aren't as good as the Mono's.

edit: Call Jenson, tell them you can get it for <price> at <store> and see if they'll come down on their price.
I read that too, thus my choice of the Mono's.. but three more weeks is not possible for me... :(

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
did you try ordering from your local shop? i just ordered up a brand new set last friday...should be in today....

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Looks like they are available from Speedgoat. According to the site, they (Hope Mono Minis) ship in 2-4 days. Victor at Trailblazers can also get them without much problem. Perhaps you're just not looking in the right places???

Here's the link

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by Dirty
did you try ordering from your local shop? i just ordered up a brand new set last friday...should be in today....
Yeah that's it, my LBS can't get them for three weeks, at that too bad cause he's making me an OEM price on them so they're pretty cheap, cheaper that the lowest price found on the net...

He says he can get the front, only the back is BO, I think I'll use an old hayes comp in the meantime for the back brake... I'm really set on those Minis... I wonder if he could get the Juicy now... they were so BO the last time he checked... Hmmmmm.... :think:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Looks like they are available from Speedgoat. According to the site, they (Hope Mono Minis) ship in 2-4 days. Victor at Trailblazers can also get them without much problem. Perhaps you're just not looking in the right places???

Here's the link
I know I can have them on the net, I just wanted to go through the LBS, its a small shop and I want to buy as much from them as possible.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Originally posted by Jozz
Yeah that's it, my LBS can't get them for three weeks, at that too bad cause he's making me an OEM price on them so they're pretty cheap, cheaper that the lowest price found on the net...

He says he can get the front, only the back is BO, I think I'll use an old hayes comp in the meantime for the back brake... I'm really set on those Minis... I wonder if he could get the Juicy now... they were so BO the last time he checked... Hmmmmm.... :think:
why cant they get them for three weeks? i called up hope direct and ordered mine...i realized BTI and quality are out of a lot of the sizes...but have them just call up hope...theyre good people...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by Dirty
why cant they get them for three weeks? i called up hope direct and ordered mine...i realized BTI and quality are out of a lot of the sizes...but have them just call up hope...theyre good people...
I'm in Montreal so I wonder if they have to go through their distributor...

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by Jozz
... I wonder if he could get the Juicy now... they were so BO the last time he checked... Hmmmmm.... :think:
Have you tinkerd around with the juicy's? I'm thinking about a set but haven't heard anything about em, or even seen a real set, my hayes are starting to get annoying, so much maintenance on them compared to other hydro's I've used. UGgg

And are you sure they aren't on BO just because you are waiting on a specific color? ;) ;)

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by slcpunk21
And are you sure they aren't on BO just because you are waiting on a specific color? ;) ;)
:nope:

Although my choice of Hope was easy since they're black... :devil:

Haven't or heard much about the Juicy... so I guess if no one complains, they must be ok!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wonder how that turned out.....

Back in the day I pulled Mono Minis off of a bike and replaced them with Juicys. Juicys were far from great brakes but better than Minis. They say that is actually really hard to create a true random number generator. I bet if you somehow sensed braking response on a set of minis you could truly have randomness.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Back in the day I pulled Mono Minis off of a bike and replaced them with Juicys. Juicys were far from great brakes but better than Minis. They say that is actually really hard to create a true random number generator. I bet if you somehow sensed braking response on a set of minis you could truly have randomness.
My Mono M4s were very consistent. Consistently no power. I did everything under the sun and could never get decent power out of them. I think the first set of pads worked well, but after that, I could never match, through several different rotors and pads.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My Mono M4s were very consistent. Consistently no power. I did everything under the sun and could never get decent power out of them. I think the first set of pads worked well, but after that, I could never match, through several different rotors and pads.
The bite point on mine was consistently somewhere between <0% and >100% of lever travel.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The bite point on mine was consistently somewhere between <0% and >100% of lever travel.
Their bleeding has always sucked. Still does. Only an idiot would design a system that makes you fight gravity.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Good lord that's an old thread!

I actually really enjoyed the feel of my M4. Always consistent even after pads change. Good modulation (never liked the on/off feel of Shimano). But yeah, the minis sucked! They would boil on any longish descents.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Am I the only person that had good success with my Hopes? I sold my last pair when I sold my last bike to clear out of debt and got Juicy's instead, which was a fucking horrible mistake. @Nick & @Full Trucker can tell you the ensuing hilarity. Proceeded to Formula and Saints by buying Nick's second hand stuff. But back in the day, they were pretty fucking good.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Re: brakes, the new Code RSCs seem really, really nice. Will have to take them to the mountains for a real performance test, but bleeding, lever feel and modulation has been great. Way better than any previous Juicy/Elixir I've had.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Am I the only person that had good success with my Hopes? I sold my last pair when I sold my last bike to clear out of debt and got Juicy's instead, which was a fucking horrible mistake. @Nick & @Full Trucker can tell you the ensuing hilarity. Proceeded to Formula and Saints by buying Nick's second hand stuff. But back in the day, they were pretty fucking good.
brakes are for going fast.
didn't we swap your brakes in a Moab parking lot in the dark, just before TWE? yea, good time to gamble!
#badjudgementcrew

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
brakes are for going fast.
didn't we swap your brakes in a Moab parking lot in the dark, just before TWE? yea, good time to gamble!
#badjudgementcrew
Yep. After my Juicy calipers had melted prior, iirc.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I had a the 6pot monos when they first came out. They didn't slow down worth a shit. Downright terrifying on steep, muddy shit like Bromont.

Worst fucking brakes I've ever had.

Like Jm said, never would feel consistent, and could NEVER lock them up if I wanted to. Didn't matter how many bleeds or new/different pads. Sucked.

Last edited:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Re: brakes, the new Code RSCs seem really, really nice. Will have to take them to the mountains for a real performance test, but bleeding, lever feel and modulation has been great. Way better than any previous Juicy/Elixir I've had.
I ran the G2 RSC's when they first came out and loved them for a year. Totally sold on those organic power pads btw. My most recent bike had Code RSC's and they were even better. Most of my riding was at Snow Summit and Snow Valley. They had a ton of power, the adjustments actually work, and I never felt the need to bleed them after install.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Hope that one of your buddies gets some in the color you like so you can admire how beautiful they are while using any number of brakes that are better on your own rig.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah I had Motos then Moto V2, both felt like you had a piece or hardwood as a brake pad no matter which composition or brand you chose.
They didn't work in the wet, again with any pad. They bled fine from memory but mud was not the friend of the V2 as it would side load the piston or whatever pressed on to the piston and wore the bore out and made it grab.

Thank the good lord for MT5s, with that said I don't race so the MT5 may be less reliable when pushed harder. Still good enough that I never ever want to try Hope again.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm still using Hopes. Just put some E4's on my Evil Offering. Took a while to get them dialed in, but really liking them. Had Shimano's, stopped well, but didn't care for the lever feel.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Running Tech3 V4's with Trickstuff pads on the DH bike.
Good power, great feel, and nicely consistent.
Plus they are purdy to look at.
No complaints.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Still using mono mini from 05 on my ss, can't kill them. Second set someone took off to modernize a bike for spare parts. NOS danger boy levers going on next time my travels go east. Had hope RX4 brakes on an ultegra lever for a while but went to avid BB7 brakes because hydro sucks when bike packing. They do stop real well though.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Running Tech3 V4's with Trickstuff pads on the DH bike.
Where are you sourcing the TS pads?
I installed the V4s on the big bike two weeks before covid hit last year and have yet to do a single run on it since, E4s on le trail bike are nice, too.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Where are you sourcing the TS pads?
I installed the V4s on the big bike two weeks before covid hit last year and have yet to do a single run on it since, E4s on le trail bike are nice, too.
R2-Bike in German land.
Had an order built and tossed them on last minute.
Very good impulse buy.