Quantcast

Any Idaho Monkeys out there???

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
PM neurostar02. His hometown's Boise. I spent a summer out there. Decent road riding, foothills are decent, nothing too extreme. Sandy trails, nothing too technical. Climb til you get tired, then descend. Not a whole lot happening on the FR/DH scene.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have never really lived there but I spent all of last summer in the Boise area working for the forest service. The city itself is alright. Some neat spots and such.

From my experience, there was little in the way of good road riding. It seemed that the roads were either way too busy or too short or dangerous to ride on.

I didn't ride much on the trails in the foothills or anything; most of what I did was in the national forest further north and a few other places around the state. There was some singletrack but it was a bit harder to find. Lots of terrain and trails but motorcycles had widened and ripped up a lot of stuff in places I was in. In general, though, it seems like a great place to be if you are into outdoor activities- camping, hiking, rafting/kayaking and the like. Lots of places for those around.

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
Nate at RIT said:
Not a whole lot happening on the FR/DH scene.
Well, there is a DS course and some other northshore type stuff being built up at Tamarak (Ski resort 2 hours north of boise). They've got a pretty decent dirt jump section as well as the DS course.

But yea, drop me a line, and I'll give ya some info on the shops, and a bit on the trails and such.

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
JRogers said:
From my experience, there was little in the way of good road riding. It seemed that the roads were either way too busy or too short or dangerous to ride on.
Eh, I'd say there's good road riding. Head north from Boise. You've got Bogus Basin which is a decent climb (~4000 ft if you go all the way to the top). Also you can head up north towards Emmett, and that's got a couple decent hills, and then you can circle around back towards Horseshoe Bend hill, which is a bitch of a climb... 10 miles straight up..... Horseshoe Bend hill can be busy, but the old road that's closed is accessable and is still in decent shape for biking. The only hairy part is the descent along the highway, but in my experience people give you plenty of room, and you're going about the speed of traffic, so you won't get passed by too many people. :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
neurostar said:
Well, there is a DS course and some other northshore type stuff being built up at Tamarak (Ski resort 2 hours north of boise). They've got a pretty decent dirt jump section as well as the DS course.

Jean pierre boseua is da man at tamarack, I was working on a bid of natural stone for them up at tamarack. His park should rock his golf course is A+ and his layout is great.
I saw the prliminary area for the park and got some heads up 2 years ago on the build.
SAWEET!
By the way I'm up north of Boise approx. 6 hours but if you get up this way beacon is close.