Quantcast

Any Idea what could be causing this noise?

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
http://www.vimeo.com/2274556

I bought a new chainring to hopefully fix it because it's the last thing I can think of. So far I have:
-rebuilt BB
-greased crank interface
-greased pedal interface and tried different pedals
-greased chainring bolts
-rebuilt pivots

jjym

Chimp
Nov 17, 2008
Maybe check out both derailleurs and the chainring is not hitting the front one under torque. Make sure your rear wheel is seated well too. Also check for a tight link in your chain. Wriggle your crankset hard back and forth for any play. Turn upside down and pedal to see if it makes the sound to a lesser degree.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
There's no play in the crankset. I don't have a front derailleur so it couldn't be that. It's ONLY when I pedal hard, and not dependent on the chain or cassette position. Der hangar bolts are tight as is the axle.

I was able to rotate he chainring with respect to the crank holes (by 90 degrees), and suddenly it only clicked when I pedaled with the left crank. This leads me to believe it's in that area.

I tried different chainring bolts, and some spacers also but to no avail. I will update when the new chainring comes but sheesh IDK how that could be causing it.

dhspeedster

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
I've pulled BB's out in the past for them to feel smooth as silk yet that can easily betray a cracked race or ball (and has done so very effectively for me - cue lots of cursing).

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
So... I got the new chainring in the mail surprisingly fast from Price Point. It's a dangerboy 34T... damn this thing is BEEF and high quality. Threw it on and the noise is 100% gone. FINALLY

I am trashing the old one and all the misery it cost me now

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
my fr rig makes the exact same noise but i haven really messed with it because i'm replacing my bb and cranks to run a single ring w/chainguide soon but im glad when i replace it that stupid sund will go away. you never know how annoying it can be until your bike starts making that noise

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Pull out BB, clean threads on BB/inside shell on frame. Wrap BB threads in teflon tape, 2 or 3 layers. Grease outside of tape layer, grease shell threads on frame. Reinsert BB slowly, to avoid cross threading.
I do this exact process already :biggrin: I used to only use grease but then the non-drive side cup started backing out during a ride, so the teflon tape increases the resistance and it has been flawless since.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Often a bb or other bearing will feel smooth while turning it in your fingers. Notice how you only get the creak when you pedal hard? You can't load a bearing like that with your fingers. While it could be other things suggested I think the bb is toast. That's what I hear anyway. ISIS bb?

What make of chainring and is it compatible with the crank? I had an ICON (Trek house brand) crank a few years back that had a bolt pattern that was compatible with Shimano, but the Shimano XT mid ring was not compatible. Kind of a long shot but it's all I can think of at the moment. Other than a cracked frame or crank but I assume you have elliminated these possibilities already.