Quantcast

Any input on Airshot tubeless tire inflator

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Or similar unit? I'll want to have it portable for use at the trailhead should it be needed. I don't have a home compressor and have been pretty annoyed that I cannot use the hand pump for some of my new tires.

What do you use? Today I blew through half a dozen CO2 cartridges on just 2 tires.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wish someone would come out with something based on a potato gun.

Other than that, I just bought a massive bell volume/stroke floor pump from a department store and damn if that doesn't fill up the tire fast. It's a low pressure pump, but it pumps a crap-load of air.

Realize that with a valve in place, there's only so much air that can be moved past the restriction, so all the PSI in the world won't necessarily help, unless you can take the valve core out and somehow get a fitting that will allow you to hook up something. It's more the huge reservoir of air that seems to help sometimes, allowing you to seal a little around the valve or hold the tire down to pop the bead while it's filling. Soapy-water the shit out of the rims too, I held off doing that for way too long.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Also, a tire lever can seat much of bead, then way less air is needed.
please explain...

also, with low volume, small and portable compressors being cheaper than many of these fancy pumps (some of them can be plugged into your car's cigarette lighter), why bother getting anything else?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
"low volume" is the problem. Compressors that plug into your car usually produce pressure but at very low volume. To seat a tire you need a large volume, delivered quickly. That Airshot is a storage tank, you still will need a compressor to fill it, then once it's emptied it's of no use at all until you get home and refill it.

The new Bontrager Flash Charger pump looks to be the better solution for the car/travel. I need a new pump anyway and will take a look at one of these.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hmm, not sure if that's a real tubeless tire, since it took like 3 people to get a beefier tire lever under the bead on my WTBs...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I only seem to have trouble with thin wall XC tires, yesterday's annoyance came from Racing Ralph tires that had sealant in them from 2014, after cleaning them, using soapy water and tire levers it's was still no go, tires are floppy.

I had the same issue but to a lesser extant with a Maxxis Crossmark, the Ardents and Minion seated easily.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I guess it depends on your tire/rim combination, but my Lezyne Dirt Drive moves enough air to easily seat my tries without the need for a compressor or separate air tank.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My regular floor pump, a whackload of sealant, and a well timed stroke of the pump with a bounce of the tire has worked for me the last few times I've needed to ass-around with my tubeless setup.

Makes a hell of a mess, but it works!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
A little acetylene,a little oxygen,a little spark.
"And make a fire, we're gonna eat a hamburger o.k.?"

"Here we go, Charlie throw the match."

"NOW THAT"S A FIRE!"

"That's a fire, look at that, look at that."

"He be alright, roll Charlie 'round, roll him around."

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I've been thinking about making something like this, but more designed for bike tires, just to see if it would work. They are used on large truck and off road tires routinely. I've also thought about machining some sort of high flow valve to install in rims. Trick is making it reliable and not adding too much weight.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451163_200451163?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive > Tire Equipment&utm_campaign=TSI&utm_content=121488&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmKG5BRDv4YaE5t6oqf0BEiQAwqDNfFn0MF99Kpux5hiEg6zsJ0KwiuOietYHyThfj63rUz8aAj6s8P8HAQ

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been thinking about making something like this, but more designed for bike tires, just to see if it would work. They are used on large truck and off road tires routinely. I've also thought about machining some sort of high flow valve to install in rims. Trick is making it reliable and not adding too much weight.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451163_200451163?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive > Tire Equipment&utm_campaign=TSI&utm_content=121488&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmKG5BRDv4YaE5t6oqf0BEiQAwqDNfFn0MF99Kpux5hiEg6zsJ0KwiuOietYHyThfj63rUz8aAj6s8P8HAQ
Something like you linked above but with a tube that fits over the outside of the valve, use valves with remove able cores.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Do you guys remove your valve cores before you seat your tires? Without the core in a presta valve, most floor pumps can inflate a tubeless tire enough to seat the bead. After the bead is seated, remove air, install core, re-inflate and hit the Bong Shed to celebrate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you guys remove your valve cores before you seat your tires? Without the core in a presta valve, most floor pumps can inflate a tubeless tire enough to seat the bead. After the bead is seated, remove air, install core, re-inflate and hit the Bong Shed to celebrate.
i'll be removing cores, because i decided to RTFM.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It just depends for me. If I use my big compressor at home, it's never an issue. 175psi goes real quick. I honestly have very few issues with tubeless, but it's usually getting a tire to re-seal after fixing something.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
  • Seat both beads of the tyre with a tube
  • deflate tube, break bead one side, remove tube
  • install tubeless valve with core removed
  • use tyre lever to seat at least a third of the unseated bead centered on the valve
  • use Lezyne HV floor pump to inflate and seal the bead
  • use stans syringe to inject fluid through valve
  • reinstall valve core and inflate to desired pressure
  • do the stans shake to ensure good seal
  • ???
  • profit

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
  • profit???
Sounds time consuming and complex, I'm going for the master blaster and avoid at least two thirds of those steps.

My steps:

1) attempt to seat one side of tire
2) pour stans in tire
3) attempt to seat other side of tire
4) hang on bungee cord
5) pump like a teenager, fail, get pissed
6) locate roadie cartridge pump
7) blow through a few cartridges but eventually succeed
8) realize this took ten minutes of your life and look for alternative

While looking at the Schalwbe web site I think I discovered the issue, these tire are not straight tubeless but tubless compatible, it seems they're actually designed for tubes and will need sealant to maintain pressure.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
All tires will need sealant in the event of a puncture.

Get a small compressor (+/- 3cfm @ 40-50psi) for cheap off craigslist or the home depot. Mounting a tire in 5 seconds is a good thing, or get a good pump like that topeak or similar.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
While looking at the Schalwbe web site I think I discovered the issue, these tire are not straight tubeless but tubless compatible, it seems they're actually designed for tubes and will need sealant to maintain pressure.
Tubeless compatible/tubeless ready/tubeless easy should all be fine, given your tire bead/rim interface is tight enough in the first place. Maybe try adding another layer of tape to your rim?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds time consuming and complex, I'm going for the master blaster and avoid at least two thirds of those steps.

My steps:

1) attempt to seat one side of tire
2) pour stans in tire
3) attempt to seat other side of tire
4) hang on bungee cord
5) pump like a teenager, fail, get pissed
6) locate roadie cartridge pump
7) blow through a few cartridges but eventually succeed
8) realize this took ten minutes of your life and look for alternative

I have found new hard to mount tires can benefit from spending a day mounted with a tube at high pressure. lets the tire get used to being tire shaped.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
yea. well, not shredded like cheddar, but a big long rip (not in the bong shed) about 7-8" long. i can post pics tonight.

Sounds like a manufacturing defect. I have had great luck putting Stans into road tubes. The small volume road tires allow a little bit of stans to seal just about any kind of leak.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds like a manufacturing defect. I have had great luck putting Stans into road tubes. The small volume road tires allow a little bit of stans to seal just about any kind of leak.
that's the thing tho... I'd been riding that tube for probably 2+ years