Quantcast

Any Intense Tracer owners out there?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If so, how do you like your Tracer's ride?

Pros?
Cons?

Setup?
Weight?

Any issues with seatpost cracking or frame cracking?

They look like a really sweet frame for XC and trail riding.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Had one and sold it recently. Great bike, just didn't suit my parts I had on it and the terrain in SB. Climbs like a billly goat though, I'll miss that.

Mine was 31.5lbs w/ Shiver SC, Hayes and other FR parts.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Zark said:
Had one and sold it recently. Great bike, just didn't suit my parts I had on it and the terrain in SB. Climbs like a billly goat though, I'll miss that.

Mine was 31.5lbs w/ Shiver SC, Hayes and other FR parts.
Zark,

So basically you had FR parts on more of an XC/Trail bike frame and it wasn't working out too well.

What are you replacing it with?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
MMcG said:
Zark,

So basically you had FR parts on more of an XC/Trail bike frame and it wasn't working out too well.

What are you replacing it with?
Yup that about sums it up :p
A 5" fork whacks out the geometry on a Tracer, I'd run a 4" if I were to get one again.

The Tracer has been replaced with a IH SGS expert. My trail bike gained 6 lbs doing this though :eviltongu I plan on getting a HT to do longer rides now.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
SkaredShtles said:
Could someone point me in the direction of an explanation of the differences between "XC" and "trailriding"............... :think:

All these newfangled terms have me bamboozled.

TIA,

-S.S.-
To me an XC bike is a bike you ride to climb, a trail bike is a bike that can climb but the reason you are climbing is for the descent.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
Could someone point me in the direction of an explanation of the differences between "XC" and "trailriding"............... :think:

All these newfangled terms have me bamboozled.

TIA,

-S.S.-
To me, an XC bike has relatively little travel (4" or less) and very aggressive geometry, specifically the head angle. A trail bike generally has more travel (4-6") and the geometry is more slack. And XC bike is a bike that fits in at an XC race, a trail bike fills in the gap between an XC bike and a dowhill bike.

I got one a few years back and although i really dug it at fiirst,i no longer ride it alot; i like the bullit too much.
I find the geometry and overall "feel" of the bike (w/ 4" fork) kinda dated and the standover clearance issn't that great.
Anyway, lots of used ones out there but if i was looking at a full squish xc bike right now i would be looking at something with 5" of rear travel and peddles real good like a SC Heckler,RM switch,IH, etc.

Kinda funny that XC bikes commonly have 5" travel :D .

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
To me, an XC bike has relatively little travel (4" or less) and very aggressive geometry, specifically the head angle. A trail bike generally has more travel (4-6") and the geometry is more slack. And XC bike is a bike that fits in at an XC race, a trail bike fills in the gap between an XC bike and a dowhill bike.
Good explanation Jackson!
:thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
So is a trailbike a freeride bike? :confused:

I have a Giant NRS with an adjustable 5 inch fork on the front. Is that a trailbike? Or a XC bike?

-S.S.-

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:

I have a Giant NRS with an adjustable 5 inch fork on the front. Is that a trailbike? Or a XC bike?

-S.S.-
My frame is 4" and I have a Talas. I don't know what I have now. :confused:

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-

My definition has been an XC bike is a bike you race XC on and a trail bike is one you just ride trails on :D

An NRS with a 5" fork is a bastard child that should have been aborted (aka an XC frame with a trail bike fork) ;) I'd call it a trail bike I guess.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Zark said:
My definition has been an XC bike is a bike you race XC on and a trail bike is one you just ride trails on :D

An NRS with a 5" fork is a bastard child that should have been aborted (aka an XC frame with a trail bike fork) ;) I'd call it a trail bike I guess.
Bwaaaaahahahaha! Nice one. The 5" fork is usually set at 80mm, so sometimes it's a bastard child, and sometimes not.

So I have a trailbike. Sort of. Or not. Maybe.

Ah hell, I agree with the Hulk - I ride a mt bike! :thumb:

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
TheInedibleHulk said:
Anyone remember mountain bikes? We used to ride em back in the day.
Did you ever get to experience the joys of all-day epics on a rigid bike? The days of hauling a headset wrench because the set kept coming loose on the long downhills? The days of the trail choosing your line as opposed to you choosing?

Ahhh.... those were the days.

-S.S.-

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
SkaredShtles said:
Did you ever get to experience the joys of all-day epics on a rigid bike? The days of hauling a headset wrench because the set kept coming loose on the long downhills? The days of the trail choosing your line as opposed to you choosing?

-S.S.-
My brother in law got me started in riding several years ago and he let me borrow his old Mongoose hardtail with an old RS fork up front - 1" threaded headset and I had to do that every time mid ride - stop and tighten things up with a headset wrench!! Too funny!!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
I'm a bit too young to have been around during the days of rigids, but I did the shenandoah hundred miler on my stumpjumper with old school sid SL, almsot rigid.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
TheInedibleHulk said:
I'm a bit too young to have been around during the days of rigids, but I did the shenandoah hundred miler on my stumpjumper with old school sid SL, almsot rigid.
You spoiled kids........

Why back in the day I rode Porcupine Rim *backwards* on a rigid.

Of course, then I rode it later in the *correct* direction and needed to stop a bunch to tighten my headset. :think:

-S.S.-

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Back to the subject, I have a haro Werx XCS which is pretty much a Tracer.
It has a monocoque top tube instead of a, well, tubular tube.
I had an air shock in it but replaced it with a Vanilla R when it broke. I like the coil shock better. I have a Minute1 on the front but I keep it in the shortest travel unless I'm going down a downhill section.
If you get or make a telescoping seatpost the bike is really versatile.
I raced 4X on it this past year and now ride XC. Just swapped out the stem and chainguide. I've had mine since '00. Intense is pretty good about replacing swingarm pivot bolts. I've gone through a bunch of those.
It's a great bike but after demo-ing a 5.5 at Snowshoe I think Intense went in the right direction. That or the Uzzi XVP will be my next bike.
If you get it and want to make a telescoping seatpost I have some leftover aluminum pipe you can have and I'll tell you what to get.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
MMcG said:
Good explanation Jackson!
:thumb:
Jackson explanation is very "scientific", matter of fact and true. Josh's description is just...bang-on! I never know what to call my 30# 4/5" travel bike? But I guess it's a trailbike then! :dancing:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
on topic:

I love my 4" Kona bear (Dawg) and I loved my 5" Enduro before that. My friend has had a Tracer for about three years and we were just talking today about replacing it. He's just gonna get a fresh powdercoat a TALAS and a Float RP3 to update it. He loves the bike so much that he'd rather keep it than mess around trying to find something new.