Quantcast

Any jumps in York County area?

Miagi

Chimp
May 5, 2007
York County
Hey, Im new to dirt jumping and would like to get a little better at it.
Problem is I only know of one set of jumps near me and its not that amazing.
The biggest jump is about 2' tall and 5' long and I can get that pretty well most times.
Just looking for something a little more challenging, but nothing too crazy. Yet.
Any locations would be appreciated.

Dec 3, 2006
WB
Hey Miagi, welcome to the board and dirt jumping. I live in Williamsburg and ride at a couple of different locations on the Peninsula and Southside.
On the Peninsula there's Gatewood trail in Newport News. It's got an easy jumpline consisting of three small/mid-size doubles and some smaller doubles on another line. Not too exciting, but a good distraction. Also, there's the Hampton BMX Track at Gosnold's Hope Park www.hamptonsupertrack.com It's a good place to learn to dirt jump because the jumps are all mellow and mostly tabletops so you don't have to worry too much about casing. I don't know of any jumps in York County.
On the Southside in Chesapeake there's Ipswich, otherwise known as Indian River Park, which has alot of jumps. Some really good lines for advanced riders and some some really good lines for learning. Easily the best location in the area for dirt jumping. There's some other trails in VB but they're too tight for MTB's.
There's only a few of us around here on the Peninsula but there are others in VB, Norfolk, and Surry. But otherwise not a very big scene.

Miagi

Chimp
May 5, 2007
York County
Thanks for the reply. I think I live pretty close to the Hampton Supertrack. Do you know if they have a free ride type of thing where anyone can just ride for fun? And do you think I can ride there cause I have a freestyle bmx bike, not a race bike.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
hey miagi
i live in surry, real close to the jamestown ferry. i've got some dj's in my back yard, only 2 tables right now but a third one is in the making
actually its a small double into a right hand berm into table, table.
ive also got a pretty sweet log ride in my front yard and am in the process of cutting single track in my back yard.
i f'd up my heel real bad back in jan so i'm still out of commission, but if'n you wanna come over and give it a shot, let me know.

mclarge, when ya gonna make it back out?

miagi, click below and you'll see whats up
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168392&highlight=backyard+bliss

Miagi

Chimp
May 5, 2007
York County
Wow, those are pretty nice. The logs are intimidating sticking outta the jump but it looks really good. Thanks for the offer. If Im ever goin in that direction, I might ask you if I could stop by real quick.
I figure this summer I could try building a few of my own as well. We'll see...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
ive got some dirt left and its going to side fill to cover them up...of course i could always use some help moving said dirt!
the log ride in front of the house is a blast and future plans include more skinnies at the exit of the log ride that lips up at the end.
teeter(s) will be built as well.

Miagi

Chimp
May 5, 2007
York County
Alright. After watching a whole bunch of videos, I really wanted to ride and jump something. And I have to wait till summer before I get my license and then I might be able to go somewhere.
So, I decided to build my own jumps in the woods behind my house. I dont have much time to contribute, but after about an hour an a half I managed to make a really big pile of clay/dirt that somewhat resembles a jump.
But then some dopeys came by and now my mom doesn't really want me out there too much. And end of the year sol's and exams are coming up as well.
But I figure I can sneek out there every once in a while. :hmm: