Quantcast

Any last thought before I get my Suburban

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Hey guys, I did a lot of research and started a thread a while ago about the parts fitting. I am pretty sure everything will fit together good with the 08’ Suburban and the parts from my 07’ P2 aluminum with the exception of the seat post. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any last thoughts to add or advice?

I think I am going to either order it through Tree Fort Bikes online or get it from my local bike shop that can then get if from BTI. I am not sure which though, any ideas?

Also, I don’t think I can get the headset, BB+cranks, and fork put on myself so I guess I can just get the bike shop to do that and then I can put on all the rest of the stuff.

Well what do you guys think?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Right... So what is the build?
Right, well here is a pick of my bike I took in the after noon today after coming back from the DJ's:

I am not a freak about the color skeem, as long as it looks good, and I am not about to buy a new part just for the color, but The Suburban is going to be Lime green, and I am probly going to paint the lower part of my fork white. Whacha' think?

Ohhh, and someone over at pinkbike photoshopped my bike, so it should look like this:
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1807761/

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
one thing you have to worry about is on p bikes the rear wheel has a 1in offset.
yeah, I actualy got a new set of rims that I never got around to dishing and its extreamly close to the chain stays.

Anyway, does anyone know how much a bike shop would charge to put the cranks, bb, fork, headset, and stem from my bike now to the Suburban?

Could I do this myself?

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
fork, and stem are easy if you are mechanically inclined. However headsets and canks/bbs are more challenging and require special tools.

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
I love my suburban, the geometry is perfect and they are wicked light. your going to enjoy it.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
you could do the whole swap yourself with the most basic of tools and the help of the intrawebs.

thats what i did - i was nervous my first time too - so thats why i grabbed a six pack to take the edge off.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
yeah, I actualy got a new set of rims that I never got around to dishing and its extreamly close to the chain stays.

Anyway, does anyone know how much a bike shop would charge to put the cranks, bb, fork, headset, and stem from my bike now to the Suburban?

Could I do this myself?
Some people will say get a block of wood and a hammer.. But I would just go and support your LBS - let them use the proper tools. And also, if something where to happen the first or second time you go out on the bike, it can be put on them (unless it was you just going HUGE!) instead of you for doing it yourself...

Always try and support the LBS - coming from a shop employee, the people who continually give us service are the people who get the most back. Theres a guy who brings in his bikes SO OFTEN that he has an account with a 20% discount on anything he pays for in the shop... It can help in the long run ;)

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Could I do this myself?
Yes. Bike Mechanics are there to fix problems you have trouble with and to cater to those with more money then time. Working on your bikes will make you a better rider. There are not too many greater feelings than taking your bike out after YOU just got it dialed.

Bike Shops are a crucial part of the riding community, but you should try to work on your own bike.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Well I kind of agree on A Grove about being able to put it on them if my crank falls off on the first ride, but I want to see how much it will cost first. I heard someone on MTBR paid $50 to get his headset put on which would really suck.

So if I did get the shop to do it, what parts need special tools to be taken off and put on the other frame? I am assuming that it is just the crank and bb, but idk about the headset and fork. How do you take the fork off? Do you need a press for my headset?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Well I kind of agree on A Grove about being able to put it on them if my crank falls off on the first ride, but I want to see how much it will cost first. I heard someone on MTBR paid $50 to get his headset put on which would really suck.

So if I did get the shop to do it, what parts need special tools to be taken off and put on the other frame? I am assuming that it is just the crank and bb, but idk about the headset and fork. How do you take the fork off? Do you need a press for my headset?
Correction on that comment... that was the cost for the headset AND installation. The headset could get away being installed by using a piece of all-thread, some big washers and nuts - as for the cranks, I don't know enough of what BB is on the P.2 - I do believe its a euro due to the hussefelts which means you would need the corresponding tool for those bearings. to get the fork off, loosen the bolts that clamp the stem to the fork steer, and loosen the bolt on the headset cap, the fork will then be free to fall out and the stem will be off the bike aswell.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
If your gonna commit and put it together yourself make sure you get it right. Often borking the job halfway through and then turning it over to the lbs to fix it can cost more than it would have in the first place.

Edit: But keep in mind once the headset and bb are in it's relatively smooth sailing.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Correction on that comment... that was the cost for the headset AND installation. The headset could get away being installed by using a piece of all-thread, some big washers and nuts - as for the cranks, I don't know enough of what BB is on the P.2 - I do believe its a euro due to the hussefelts which means you would need the corresponding tool for those bearings. to get the fork off, loosen the bolts that clamp the stem to the fork steer, and loosen the bolt on the headset cap, the fork will then be free to fall out and the stem will be off the bike aswell.
Wow, I wasn't aware that the stem+stem cap was the only thing holding my fork on. I guess i can just do that myself then.

So I'm pretty sure I just want to take it to the shop, I am just going to strip everything off my p2 except the heaset, bb, and cranks and ask them to put that on the Suburban.

Thanks for the help guys!

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Yeah unless you have a headlock, the only thing stopping your steerer tube from sliding through your headtube is the stem.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Well speaking of headsets and stuff:

ok well I just noticed this but if I stand infront of my bike and pinch the front wheel between my legs I notice a little bit of play in the headset stem area. It like make a poping noise when I press it forward and then again when I pull it back.

I have torqued the four screws on the side of my stem as well as the screw on the top of the headcap and the four on the crown of the fork. I don't know what this is. Any ideas?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Loosen the stem, then tighten the cap until the headset is smooth, with no play. Then tighten the stem back down. If you can't seem to get it tight, pull the cap and make sure it is not bottoming out on the steer tube. There should be a little bit of space between the steer tube and the top of the stem so that you can put some pressure on the bearings with the cap. Add a spacer under the stem or cap if you have to.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Loosen the stem, then tighten the cap until the headset is smooth, with no play. Then tighten the stem back down. If you can't seem to get it tight, pull the cap and make sure it is not bottoming out on the steer tube. There should be a little bit of space between the steer tube and the top of the stem so that you can put some pressure on the bearings with the cap. Add a spacer under the stem or cap if you have to.
Thanks a lot for the advice, I got it nice and tight, plus there was abunch of dirt under the cap, now its smooth.

Oh and while I had the stem off I Just took off the fork too so now I know how to do that as well. Thanks again for all the help!

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
yeah you wanna ride with that tight enough not to ovalize/play, but not so tight were you can't turn the bars smoothly.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
good job on working on your bike. like someone else said - it feels great to dial in your own bike - of course, if you have some serious troubles, go to your LBS, dont force it. but usualy internet is your friend.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Anyway, I just want to make sure, the headset on my P2 right now, CAN come off and be put on the suburban, right?
If they both have the same kind, YES. There are 3 main types. The standard press-in kind with cups, The Internal Type, and the Integrated type.