Quantcast

Any Michelin --> Maxxis converts here?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've been using Michelin UST since Stans first came onto the market, back in 2001 or something. I like them, I've got nothing against them other than slightly high pricing.

Basically I could waffle for quite a bit, but "should I switch to Maxxis"? If so, why?

cheers

FWIW my preferred setups on michelin is Comp 32 up front and a 24 on the back, or mud3s both ends if it gets pretty wet. I never use 16s to be honest, they roll far too slow and seem sketchy in the corners from what I remember. I *love* the comp 32, it gives me so much confidence and rolls *so* quick.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I don't really mean this to be a "versus" thread, more of a specific "people who used to swear by michelins, but then tried maxxis and have never looked back" roll-call :)

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
erm...

i used maxxis and then went to michelin and can honestly say i was amazed. although michelin are expensive.

now i punctured last week, a massive snakebite through my michelin AT24. so as it was worn too, i thought new tires...

i bought minion DH 2.5 UST f&r.

no reason why, but see what happens i guess.

i still regard michelin users as the classier riders of the bunch haha :P j/k.

the tires arrive on Weds, so next weekend will be the first ride.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Just used Maxxis UST minnions in Bimas Bike park Germany, Saalbach and leogang Austria...and did not get one flat..

Bimas was the rockyest course i have ever ridden...so i rate them very hight...:bonk: or im very sh*t

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I've been living in Morzine for 6 years now and have always used Maxxis.
I have only had 2 punctures in the entire time I have been out here - both on mud tyres with a thinner sidewall.
I have honestly never flatted Maxxis HighRollers/Minions.
This is enough reason for me.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The Minions are a great tire, been using thosee pretty much since stans as well, very sticky, never tear the sidewalls up, still havent flatted. Front/rear specific. Easy to get onto the wheel during install. And personally i feel the Maxxis super tackies last longer than the Michelin CompS's. All in all though, they are both great tires, and youll be happy with either

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just mounted up a pair of Minion DHFs Seb.

You know my Michelin preference was always different to yours. I rarely ran anything other than a 2.5 comp 16 up front, and would run a 24 in the back most of the time, or a 16 for soft conditions.

I just mounted up a set of 2.5 Minion DHFs. I get significantly less flats. Grip seems roughly on a par, at least in the dry. (Not had any wet stuff here for a while). I don't think the bead is as substantial though. I rolled the rear off the rim (like, completely off) on dirt merchant yesterday. Was pretty scary! My rim has a bunch of dents in the sidewall an I need to get around to re-lacing it with another rim I have. Still, I hear many more stories of people burping Maxxis tyres whilst running tubeless, but less reports of torn casings, as I had with Michelins.

I guess the Minion DHF would be the closest to the comp 32, if a little smaller size-wise. The comp 16 sits between the High roller and the swampthing in terms of the grip/rolling resistance trade-off. The swampthing is a sweet mud tyre.

Basically, the impression I get is that Maxxis have sturdier casings/sidewalls, but the Michelins have a better bead lock. Provided you choose a suitable tread/compound there's no reason why you should be giving up anything in terms of grip.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
tires is tires
In bellingham, sure. :D

Funken: every michy 2.5 is larger than every maxxis 2.5 except for that AD/advantage thing.

In general, I've had better luck sealing up the michelins tubeless than maxxis and the rubber compounds are better wearing.

Unfortunately, they only tire I've used that I like for the dust around here is the comp 16.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Maxxis and Michelin tires ride so much differently, I would say give Maxxis a try and see what you think. You can get all the info in the world, but without any personal experience, thats all you have, info.

Personally Michelins make me scared, I never feel like a I have any traction until they start to drift but don't slide all the way out. Maxxis tires for me grip better turning, as well as general straight fast lines and through rocks.

I run dual Minion fronts and love them. I even put 'em on the XC bike.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I used to mostly run Michelins and now have been using Maxxis most of the season. I liked the Comp 32 front/24 or 16 rear or the 2.5 16 front and 2.2 16 or 2.5 24 rear depending on the course. I've used a High Roller 2.5 rear/Minion 2.7 front 3C this year and have had few flats (maybe slightly less than Michelins, but XC tubes in the 32 might be to blame for that). I've also been using a 2.5/2.35 Swampthing combo for a while in the mud and it's really good. I have a cut up Mud3, but very few courses here call for a tire that narrow with such big knobs.

Grip is comparable overall, but I find that the Maxxis work better in a wider range of conditions and they seem to ride a bit softer/more damped, which is a good thing. I'm not a total convert and I still like Michelin, but the Maxxis are very good- predictable, easy to set up and just work well. I don't think they last as long as Michelin in either 3C, ST or SRY, if that matters. Oh, and the Comp 32 is still the best fast/rough course tire ever made.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
Here's what I've found. Over the years I've switched back and forth. I started on Maxxis maybe 6-7 years ago because that is what came on my bike. Used those for a couple years then the team I raced for got sponsored by Michelin. Started running a comp 16 or 28 on the back and a comp 32 up front. Absolutely loved them. I was still young then 16 or so and light 140ish so I used to run 18psi. Ran those for about 2 years then our team got sponsored by Maxxis when the the Minions came out. Ran a dual front Minion combo. Liked them but they didn't seem any better and the front didn't have the confidence inspiring that the comp 32 did. After a couple of years on those I was now had a choice of what to run. I was on a Sunday come this time, and remembered how much I used to the love the comp 32s and new that the sunday could fit one in the back so I decided to get a pair. At this point I'm 190lb rider and condsider myself a fast rider as a Semi-Pro/Pro racer. I ran them for a couple races last season flatted a few times, after rarely ever flatting in my life, and really wasn't all to impressed. Switched back to the 2.5 Minion Fronts and was amazed how much better they were both traction and flat protection. Over the years I've had way less flats on the Maxxis tires, find they last about the same(except for comp 16s which go real quick), and the maxxis all around hold up better, now holes, missing knobs. At this point I'm definitely a Maxxis fan, and belieive they make a better tire. Just my 2 cents though.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Personally I prefer Maxxis. I've tried Comp 16's and the 32, but nothing seems to grip like the 40 SRY compound that Maxxis has.

With the right pressure, the Michi Comp 32's grip like nothing else (on par with a Minion 42 ST) but they are heavy as all hell. The Maxxis Minion 2.7's aren't really that much lighter, but they seem to roll better than the Comp 32's.

That's just my experience with them, however...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Always been on Michelin. Back in the day I swore by Nokian(sp?). I've never flatted on Michelin and just recently I've been using regular XC tubes. I've always used a comp32 in front and a comp24 or 16 in rear. I'm looking at trying a comp16 in front and cut out the knobs. I met a dude up in Whistler that mentioned he's never had so many flats since he's been on Maxxis. But from the look of his rims, it looked like he ploughed through everything.

Personal preference? I'd like to try the Minions one day.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i used to only use maxxis minion 2.5 super tacky UST. i got a pair of michelins. i dont think i will order a maxxis tire again.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I use Specialized THIN tubes and Maxxis SRY Minion DHF 2.7/2.5. I usually have 1-2 flats a year and I ride all over BC and Montana. I run lots of baby powder and this helps a lot with pinch flats. I love Maxxis.

The key to no flats is tire pressure and baby powder. You have to find the correct tire pressure for you. Some people can get away with 15-20psi. Some people have to run 25-30psi. Pinch flats are usually due to people not checking their tire pressure or not knowing what pressure to run.

You cant go wrong with either tire. Tires are cheap. Try different tires and find out what works for you. Run lots of baby powder and check your tire pressures often.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i run maxxis tires and xc tubes and they are next to impossible to flat, same cannot be said for michelin even with dh tubes. to me, that's all that matters given that both companies' tires offer great traction.

probably depends on where you live and what you ride on, but it seems most of the people flatting at races here in the n. east are not on maxxis tires.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I have flatted more Maxxis tires then Michelin. Both tires have good flat protection, proper setup is the best protection. I run my Michelin tubeless I have flatted three times once when I tore the sidewall on a nasty square rock. The other flats I had would have flatted any tire, nail punctures.

The Michelins setup tubeless much better than Maxxis. I prefer running tubeless vs. tubes so I will stick to Michelin.

I also think the Michelins wear slower than Maxxis.