Quantcast

Any mid-century furniture experts amongst you bums?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I knows much about Danish Modern and I am stopped on a highway while they blast a cannon wall. Firstly doubtful on the solid teak, even the best Danish made teak furniture from the day was veneer which is generally more attractive than solid teak as it's cut for the grain pattern. The best pieces are grain faced with a single veneer used for all drawer and door faces. I have m
Fair enough. That’s why I asked!

Still loving it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I knows much about Danish Modern and I am stopped on a highway while they blast a cannon wall. Firstly doubtful on the solid teak, even the best Danish made teak furniture from the day was veneer which is generally more attractive than solid teak as it's cut for the grain pattern. The best pieces are grain faced with a single veneer used for all drawer and door faces. I have m
Permij...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Umm... tacos.

Here is why I think your credenza is top of the market:

The form has cultural significance - long and low furnishings symbolize wealth and status. An average credenza holds less than an average filing cabinet but takes up 3 times the space. Filing cabinets are for secretaries and clerks, credenzas are for executives. Would your rather live in an inner city apartment or a nice ranch house in the suburbs?

Your credenza is also well designed and displays elements that resonate in today's marketplace. The visually simplicity of the linear design is balanced by the vertical lines of the tambour door, offset drawer pulls and orientation of the grin pattern of the 6 faced drawers.

Quality of construction - the mitered joinery ads a level complexity and increases the cost of production. Its a very small detail that is seldom seen in mass produced furniture.

Options and Finishes - your credenza dates from the early 60s to the mid 70s and may have had a variety of leg options, in general terms - the legs on your credenza suggest an earlier date of manufacture and would have been the most costly option indicating this item was ordered as part of a custom configured interior suite. Most credenzas were designed as office furniture and had stick legs, those that made it into homes generally had higher level finishes and were more expensive. Your credenza exhibits a high level of finish and includes upgraded legs and tambour door.

Evaluating architectural furnishings is very subjective, value depends on who is selling it and who is buying it. I have sold my fair share of high end furnishing over the years,. It is my opinion that the collector market is the least stable but generates the fastest sales, collectors make their purchasing decisions based on perceived value, they will only buy if they think its worth more than they just paid. Then there is the decorator market, interior designers base their buying decisions on time, availability and need, in this market time is worth more than money. Proximity to market is also a factor - items closer to the hot markets get higher prices.

In my market I could sell a credenza of similar quality for about $1,200. In a gallery setting of a major market you could expect to see a $2,000 price tag. The top of the market for similar items is about $3,500. Currently the top of the market is 1stdibs - their primary client base are interior designers and those who have more money than time.
Even moar permijs...