Quantcast

Any Monkeys been to Big Sky?

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
I was planning my summer trip and decided to do a little more than just DH this year. I will be going to Yellowstone and Glaciers NP for hiking before hitting the any lifts. I seen that seen that Big Sky is in the area. Is the DH trails worth the stop for about a week or so?

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
Haven't been to Big Sky, however if you have time to get down to Jackson the Teton Pass DH trails are some of the best I've ever ridden.
Gurp thanks for the info. Are these trails lift-access at Jackson Hole or do you shuttle them?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
No lifts. You can shuttle or hitch hike up to the top of the pass. From there its a half hour or so push to the top of Lithium. The pay-off is a seriously long DH trail with jumps, drops, gaps and berms with one of the best views you'll ever see. There's more trails lower down the mountain as well, and a whole other network on another close by peak that I didn't have time to ride.

Google the Teton Freedom Riders to see some footage of the trails. Hats off to these guys for what they've been able to do cooperating with the forest service.

I can't wait to get out there again.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I think Targhee has lift service dh, Big Sky Is supposed to be good, not sure if there are enough trails to keep you interested for a week, but there are probably enough options in the area to do shuttles from the top of fire tower roads, logging roads etc... you'll just have to do a little research.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I used to ride at Big Sky when I lived in Montana. The lift served stuff is fun, but IMO only worth stopping for a couple days. Things may have improved since I was there, it's been a couple years. The trails were usually super dusty from what I remember.

Like others have said, you could stretch it out into a week if you ride some of the shuttles and other trails in the area.

I went to Big Sky over the summer for a couple days as part of our Yellowstone trip. The DH is pretty nice and they rent RM flatlines. There are a good amount of trails, but not enough to keep you busy for a whole week. It's a nice place, but we just happened to be there when Obama visited Big Sky with his family. That made it a bit busier, but the DH was pretty awesome.