Quantcast

any monkeys graduated or going into dental school?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
this is a long shot but I'm trying to help the GF out.

does anyone know much about getting into dental school? i'm not talking about dental hygene school but full on dental school.

the GF is getting ready to start applying but she's unsure of school deadlines for getting in. when does she have to have her DAT taken by? when does she have to have her requirements done by? mostly where can this info be found?

that's her biggest problem is finding this info. she's tried calling the admissions dept for a couple of schools and that hasn't gotten her very far. school websites have limited info, if any at all.

if it helps some of the schools she's thinking about are:
University of Washington
Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry
University of Colorado at Denver
University of Connecticut

and if it matters she already has a degree in geology and has been taking classes the past 2 semesters to try and get some requirements taken care of.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
maxyedor said:
Not to be negative, but I doubt that geology has much of anything to do with teeth.
damn it. and here I was thinking she was going to be able to open up her own dentist shop with her rock hammer and geology degree.

all kidding aside, it appears that most dental programs require you to have a degree in something else already. in case there's someone on here who can provide actual helpful information, I wanted them to know that she already has a degree in another field.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i'm in med school but i think the schedule is the same. take the MCAT/DAT in april your "junior" year (whatever real year that is for you if doing the prereqs after the fact). pester faculty for recommendation letters at this time (in the spring!) and MAKE SURE THEY GET WRITTEN AND SENT.

autumn of the senior year send out apps, around late july to early august ideally. with any luck, hear back soon, interview in the early-mid-late-fall through winter. then, if all goes according to plan, you'll be done and accepted by winter. spend spring and summer relishing free life.

this, again, is med school specific, but should also help:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
This probably won't be much help but...

A friend decided to give up mechanical engineering and go to dental school which required him to go back and get a different undergrad degree since it'd been so long.
So 4 years there and he is just finishing up his first year at Pacific University's dental program down in SF. It'll be ~7 years total.
His brother is a dentist and just got into endo school at the UW so he had good advisement going into it.
I'm surprised she can't find better info. He pretty much had a road map of every class he needed to take and tests etc. But again, I don't know where he got all the info. Not to be flip but maybe she should go and talk to her dentist or a dentist about it? I would think an advisor at her school should be able to help too?