Quantcast

any monkeys near schladming?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
think me and my mates might be going there for the world cup this summer, would just like to have a chat with anyone who is somewhat local to that area.

whether is worth bringing our bikes along, the wc track would be off limits of course, but if we gonna drive that far, might as well try out some proper riding if there is some that is worth it.

cheers.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
You can still ride the top half of the mountain when the WC track is closed. The WC track only runs from the midstation, the full top-to-bottom run is epic and will end you.

There's plenty of riding at the Austrian bike parks but they're all a decent drive from each other. Take a bike.

xxFRESHxx

Chimp
Jun 21, 2008
Germany, BY
how long will you stay?
i think in the last years the wc track was already open for public again on sunday. there might be some interference with the XC race near the finish but the majority should be rideable.
i'm not totally sure though. maybe you should email them for details.

but as said before, the are other parks/trachs in the area. i made a kmz file so you can check them out in google earth

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
bump for more info.

ok, seems like we wont be taking our bikes. we are going to make a weekend trip out of it just for the world cup.

any pointers for accommodation close by? it doesn't have to be that close as we will be driving so will have transport. camping would be fine too. suggestions?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
lots of little guest houses to stay in as well as a few hotels. the prices go down quite a bit as you get away from village of schladming or go up elevation, but if you have a car these locations might be fine there are plenty of places to camp around there, but i am not sure of exact locations.... i did a google search for planai or schladming lodging last year and found a ton of stuff. i think we stayed in a two bedroom condo/suite type thing for about 45 euro a night withing riding distance of the lift.

also... keep in mind that the DH is on Sunday at schladming this year which is a change form the previous WC rounds.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
cheers dave!

pelle - will have to save if for some other time. i have to fit everything in between my summer job. going to ft william to ride a few weeks before to make up for it. :)