Quantcast

Any Moto riders on RM?

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
I know alot of mountain bikers also dirt bike so i figured i would make a thread to see how many of us on RM do. so i figure post what bike you ride, how long you've been riding, bike pics, riding pics ECT...
I only have crappy riding pics and old pics of my bike.

My bikes specs as of now are:
2001 CR250
FMF Fatty*
FMF Q silencer
Acerbis CR red plastics*
Protaper CR-high bends*
Wiseco top end*
Acerbis flag hand guards
Clark Mfg. 3.2 gallon tank
Sunline shift lever
SDG gripper seat
Renthal drive train 14-50*
(items with * are new since pics)

I ride mostly trails with a little track every once in a while.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
One more moto monkey here. I have been riding for about 5 years, but not really seriously until about 3 years ago. I ride mostly woods and desert.

My Ride:
2005 Honda CRF250x
Devol Suspension
Scotts Steering Damper
ProTaper Windham bars
Rekluse Clutch
Unabiker Radiator Guards
Flatland Racing skid plate

Near Future Upgrades:
Fasstco Flexx Bars
FMF Q2 Pipe
New Cam
Rekluse Z-Start Dual Left hand brake

Attachments

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I can't wait to get another Dirt Bike. Plan on it soon. I had to sell my 03 CR250 off just before I got Married to help pay for the Wedding. Here are a few pics:
There is clearly something wrong with your marriage if you had to sell your dirt bike to have the wedding!! Just kidding of course.

I got married in my dirt bike gear at the Kane Canyon overlook in Moab, in white Troy Lee gear. My CRF was my engagement present (I did get a ring but upon my insistence, it was cheap), my hubby got a new KTM for our wedding trip. I am a girl with different priorities when it comes to weddings and rings and what not.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i ride a 2003 drz 400

dont have to many pix of riding.... because im not that good and i can hardly reach the ground lol

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
2005 RMZ 450. She's a handful but not very fast at top speed. I ride mostly desert; Baja, trails and sometimes the dunes so I am thinking of getting a bike with a higher top speed and more foregiving geometry. It feels more at home on the track obviously. She is a BLAST to ride though!

Baja :cupidarrow::cupidarrow::

Getttin' down at the track! Photo by Dylan Dean

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
fonzie18, you could just gear your bike up for more top speed. Its got more than enough power to handle going up a tooth on the front and maybe even down a few on the rear and it makes a big difference. Thats what i did with mine.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Damn, I thought this was going to be about street bikes...

This is my Monster after an unscheduled mud ride...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I sold my Husaburg FC400 to buy my street bike, but I will be getting a bike either this Winter, or in Spring. As much as I loved my 'Berg, parts were expensive.

My next bike will likely be a WR450.

<edit> Nice monster!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
There is clearly something wrong with your marriage if you had to sell your dirt bike to have the wedding!! Just kidding of course.

I got married in my dirt bike gear at the Kane Canyon overlook in Moab, in white Troy Lee gear. My CRF was my engagement present (I did get a ring but upon my insistence, it was cheap), my hubby got a new KTM for our wedding trip. I am a girl with different priorities when it comes to weddings and rings and what not.
Funny my wife told me she would buy me a new one. Never saw it so I will just have to give her less $$ to spend and pocket the rest to buy my new bike!!!!!:biggrin:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I've been casually shopping around for a used 4 stroke, maybe a CRF250. It's been 15+ years since I've been on a moto but I've had the itch lately. Would be used for woods riding and the occasional trip (1-2 times/yr) to the track. Motos are a great way to build and maintain seldom used mtb singletrack as well.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
I've been casually shopping around for a used 4 stroke, maybe a CRF250. It's been 15+ years since I've been on a moto but I've had the itch lately. Would be used for woods riding and the occasional trip (1-2 times/yr) to the track. Motos are a great way to build and maintain seldom used mtb singletrack as well.
you should get a 2stroke so much cheaper and easier to maintain and way more fun.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I know alot of mountain bikers also dirt bike so i figured i would make a thread to see how many of us on RM do. so i figure post what bike you ride, how long you've been riding, bike pics, riding pics ECT...
I only have crappy riding pics and old pics of my bike.
<snip />
I'll be shooting there a lot starting in a few weeks. I'll get you some better photos.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I have ridden in years and don't really plan on riding again. My "niece" and "nephew" both race flat track up in NY. They're not really related, but I built their dad's dirt modifieds for around 10 years and practically helped raise them, so I guess that makes em family.

Amber on the left, shes 13 and AJ on the right, he's 15 and a total ripper.

AJ's 2 rides 125 and the 250

Amber gettin ready to race

AJ leadin the field...

Slideways and still pullin the pack

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
you should get a 2stroke so much cheaper and easier to maintain and way more fun.

No, 4 strokes are the norm now. They are faster, quicker and have a better power band throughout the throttle, not just at high rpm, along with superior low end torque.

If you keep up the matenence, valves, etc. then it should last a very long time.
DR's are awsome bikes, my first d-bike was a 1985? dr100, then a 1983 drz 125.
Here's my 2002 yzf 426, going for sale in the spring.

In a couple years I'm thinking of grabbing a crf or rmz 250, we'll see what happens.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
No, 4 strokes are the norm now. They are faster, quicker and have a better power band throughout the throttle, not just at high rpm, along with superior low end torque.

4 strokes are only faster because they gave them a displacment advantage if they ran with even displacments 2 strokes would kill 4strokes. 2 strokes are lighter and make more horsepower per CC than 4 strokes. It just takes more skill to ride a 2 stroke and people are lazy these days and dont wanna have to learn how to use a powerband.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
hey will you guys pass this on... its a bill NJ plans on putting in. It will basically quadrupal the fines you pay if your caught riding in new jersey and you will also most likely have your drivers license suspended

http://ga3.org/campaign/A_4172/

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
4 strokes are only faster because they gave them a displacment advantage if they ran with even displacments 2 strokes would kill 4strokes. 2 strokes are lighter and make more horsepower per CC than 4 strokes. It just takes more skill to ride a 2 stroke and people are lazy these days and dont wanna have to learn how to use a powerband.

I've ridden 4 strokes and 2 strokes, Prefer 4 strokes way over the 2s. Yes 2 stroke bikes are lighter. I know people who have ridden 2 strokes all their life, and never went back after going to 4.

it's ike apples and oranges, people are going to have opinions on which is "better" but with dirtbikes, like mountain bikes, it's all preference.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
I've ridden 4 strokes and 2 strokes, Prefer 4 strokes way over the 2s. Yes 2 stroke bikes are lighter. I know people who have ridden 2 strokes all their life, and never went back after going to 4.

it's ike apples and oranges, people are going to have opinions on which is "better" but with dirtbikes, like mountain bikes, it's all preference.
yea thats true, its all personal preference most of the guys i ride with ride 2 strokes but one of them rides a 4stroke and we have all tryed his bike (yz426) and some of us like it some of us dont. Yea its true alot of 2stroke riders goto 4's and never go back but it goes both ways, i used to ride 4strokes and then got a 2stroke and dont plan on switching back.I have a friend who bought an RMZ250 and hated it then he bought a KTM144 and loves it so again its all preference. But really all that matters is that your out there riding and having fun. Sorry for the rant.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
damn... shouldn't have gone through this thread. i miss riding my moto! :( i was still a newbie, but got into it a ton! rode a Suzuki RM 125.. but had to sell it cause of biz... that was a few years ago. I need a new bike!

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i want to ride really bad... never been on a moto but ive been dieing to ride. i have a few friends that ride and are trying to convince me to get a crf 230. but in reality im getting the first decent bike that passes my way at a price i can afford. (ie trade for my sunday wc or same price i can sell it for)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
i want to ride really bad... never been on a moto but ive been dieing to ride. i have a few friends that ride and are trying to convince me to get a crf 230. but in reality im getting the first decent bike that passes my way at a price i can afford. (ie trade for my sunday wc or same price i can sell it for)
If you're waiting for the first decent bike, do not get a crf230. I'm a 5'4" chick and I out grew that bike in a year. It's heavy (my CRF250x weighs less), slow, and unless your a midget, will be way too small. The suspension is also very limited.

If you're going the 4 stroke route, you'd be better off with an XR 200 because at least it will fit you, they are easy to maintain and would be a good starter bike 'cause their cheap. If you have more cash to burn, get a crf250x or wr250. They are pretty tame off the floor and you will most likely not grow out of it in a year, or months.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
Ive got a bunch of new fotos so I thought i would revive this thread.

ME

Jonny

Pictures of me taken by Jonny and Gordon.
Pictures of Jonny taken by me.

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
Oh! Oh! Oh! Me me me!! I've wanted to moto my WHOLE LIFE, and finally had the opportunity this spring! MAN! good times.
I'll try to post pics, they're all on borrowed "kids" bikes (5'1", what'ya do?). But I sat on a Kawasaki 140L and we're considering the purchase... hard to say who had more lust, me or the mister! :brows:

Moto rocks! :banana: :banana:

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
I have a crf 230 right now but, I should be getting an 05 ktm200 exc tomorrow! It has 1-4 mxc gears so its close ration, then 5 and 6 are wide ratio over drive gears. Did i mention its street legal.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Online Persona: RhinofromWA
Stats: Fat & semi fast dirtbiker/retired slow Downhiller
Grew up riding dirt bikes, always felt comfortable on dirtbikes, dirtbikes are my mistress.
Bike: 2004 Suzuki RM 250 (2 stroke)

Last weekend Quartz Mt (~6,300ft) with the Cascades Mountains behind me. I think Mt Rainier is behind my bulbous head. :D

My Clubs Desert 100 race weekend - Sweep riding in the early morning

Sweeping the WORCS race in Auburn WA earlier this year

Loading bay dock in my clubs harescrambles (packwood, wa) How many places do you get to run a race course over an old loading bay dock? :) At a closed lumber mill you do...awsome.

New years Day 2008 - Hangover Scrambles Washougal MX track, WA

Flat track'n in Eastern WA

Bottom 1/4 of Haebacks hill in Beverly, WA (see the speck that is Rhino at the bottom?) Take that hill and multiply it by 4 and make it so steep you can't stop once you start...well I did, but it took throwing it down into the hill side and a few tumbles on my part.

Last edited: