Quantcast

any new bike-related technologies?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
one of my classes this semester has a heavy emphasis on emerging technologies. our first project, and one that could get me an A in the class, is to do be about an emerging technology. are there any that pertain to bikes? i was thinking maybe carbon nanotubes, since Easton is now kinda using them.

past projects have been over VR, flatscreen tvs, "incubators" (for small businesses)...nothing out there.

can you think of anything?

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
platform suspension... kind of

Tires and stuff... maybe

Then there's that whole "brain shocks" movement that keeps appearing and dying off.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Has anything that involves bikes every been an "emergin" technology?

everything new to bikes is adaptation from somewhere else...

Now if you want something interesting (IMHO) - look at Artifical disc (Spine Surgery). The first FDA cleared device just came out at the end of last year, and all the other companies ar going to be launching their versions later this year an into next.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Let's see,
Bike Design: Finite Element Analysis, ADAMS, Virtual Pivot Placement is pretty interesting, other suspension-related topics (squat, brake jack, etc.)
Bike Construction: Robotic Welding aluminum (not that new), maybe ask Ohio if he'll tell you about friction stir welding, hydroformed monocoque, high strength steel alloys, carbon nanotubes is a good one, maybe Titus Exogrid tubing? (is it marketing hype or functional)

Is hasn't happened yet, but there is some damper development using oil with suspended particles that changes viscosity when subjected to a magnetic field, mainly in the auto industry. Before too long piezoelectrics/smart materials will find there way into the bike industry.

Also, maybe look at bikes from a standpoint of alternative transportation, such as electric bikes and related small vehicles, infrastructure and urban planning for alternative transportation

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
There really haven't been any type of "new" bicycle developments since the introduction of rear suspension..... and that's been around awhile.

But maybe I'm not interpreting your question right............

-S.S.-

Edit: That G-Boxx looks pretty revolutionary. I wonder if it'll catch on. :think:

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Stealh hubs have been around fro atleast 8yrs.... The whole 'outboard' BB deal is pretty cool... Might explain the reasons/bennifits to having larger, wider spaced bearings
ANdrew

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
KonaJosh said:
Is hasn't happened yet, but there is some damper development using oil with suspended particles that changes viscosity when subjected to a magnetic field, mainly in the auto industry.
yeah I saw something on this.. Really cool, basically they dipped this wand in this oil, then turned it on and it made this perfect cylinder around it. Then he picked it up out of the bath and dropped the electricity and it all dropped off.

Basically, has the potential to be an instantaneous fluid-based lockout in your fork. If it were used in the bike industry.

CLancy

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Internal transmissions, a'la G-Boxx, have been around since the 19th century, with shaft-drive and all. The G-Boxx is really just a mounting standard for a supposed future variety of internal transmissions, anyhow, just like we have relative standards for bottom brackets, headtubes, etc. around which framebuilders can design.

So while it's certainly significant, I don't know about the requirements for your project...if it's really 'emerging' by your definition or not. It's been here all along, just not in a form that was effecient, durable, or standardized enough to meet the needs of modern cyclists.

MD