Quantcast

Any new upgrades that have made a big, positive difference??

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was thinking of selling the ol' DH bike but after changing a few bits here and there, I've fallen in love with it again:

1) Works Components 7mm offset headset and wider bars: I have a medium Intense 951Evo. I wanted to try it to see if I liked a little bit of extra reach. I also installed 820mm bars and kept a 50mm stem at the same time. It took a day to get used to it but overall it's awesome...I feel much more in control in corners and when things get really rough. I had a -1deg headset in there before with 785mm bars. I'm sure servicing my fork and playing around with my Avalanche cartridge contributed to that too.

2) Mallet DH pedals: My trail bike has Mallet E pedals, so I figured I'd try the Mallet DH. I thought I'd have to get used to them but it felt natural overall (I'm used to some downhill riding with the trail bike on the Mallet E). I found my Shimano shoes fit better with the Mallet DH compared to the E's for some reason - less flex, a little more stable. Must be the bigger platform.

Small upgrades with big results for me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Put the right amount of oil in my damper so it actually had damping instead of acting as a second negative air spring.

Fuck Suntour, never again!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Much as I still love DH bikes... the most positive upgrade to riding for me has been one of these things...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Your Durolux came with very little oil?
It came with almost enough but not quite, it caused the IFP to move to a location that it shouldn't be in. The fluid shoots up above the IFP and then the LSC needle forms a seal and you get a vacuum.

I fucking hate the fork, every time the fork extends and contacts the neg spring it sounds like someone has hit a gong with a dildo.

I will see if I can fit a less shit air spring or maybe do a hack job coil conversion. I'd feel too guilty selling the fork so it doesn't matter if I kill it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It came with almost enough but not quite, it caused the IFP to move to a location that it shouldn't be in. The fluid shoots up above the IFP and then the LSC needle forms a seal and you get a vacuum.

I fucking hate the fork, every time the fork extends and contacts the neg spring it sounds like someone has hit a gong with a dildo.

I will see if I can fit a less shit air spring or maybe do a hack job coil conversion. I'd feel too guilty selling the fork so it doesn't matter if I kill it.
Just let me know if you need a Fox 34. I've got one with a brand new CSU - even upgraded to KASHIMA!!!

:brows: :D