Quantcast

any news from old pueblo?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Race was great. Saw Echo, Doug, Westy and a couple of others there. They can in fact confirm I'm an old man, and I do exist. Weather was great (a trifle cold) with some wind, mostly near sunset.

Here's me coming in just before sunset:

And Tinker:

And a night shot:

And the RM camp:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
LordOpie said:
Reactor wins the thread!

I'm trapped behind a firewall during the day, and have a lot of pent up posting to do. :nonono: I should know better.

I took a major digger at 3:00 am on the cactus trail. I was flying along passing people, came up to a sharp dusty corner, didn't see a small rut, caught my tire and BONG! flipped, landed right on my head, then conveniently transitioned onto my knees, at 15 mph. Bruised the heck out of everything and tore up my pants and knees at the same time.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Reactor said:
I'm trapped behind a firewall during the day, and have a lot of pent up posting to do. :nonono: I should know better.

I took a major digger at 3:00 am on the cactus trail. I was flying along passing people, came up to a sharp dusty corner, didn't see a small rut, caught my tire and BONG! flipped, landed right on my head, then conveniently transitioned onto my knees, at 15 mph. Bruised the heck out of everything and tore up my pants and knees at the same time.
nice pic's above. how'd the race go over all, were you SOLO?!?!?!?
team?!?!?!?
scoop please.

oh also i need to go update the 'ignore' thread i think mine just pushed 20+ :p

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
The Toninator said:
nice pic's above. how'd the race go over all, were you SOLO?!?!?!?
team?!?!?!?
scoop please.

oh also i need to go update the 'ignore' thread i think mine just pushed 20+ :p

Solo?!? At my age...not bloody likely. Trainwreck and I were on a 5 person coed team (will ride for beer) with a fairly weak fifth (I'm the fairly weak fourth). She was very nice, but not use to mtb racing, and especially cautious at night, so her laps were in the 2-3 hour range. Everyone else was in the 1:15 - 1:30 range in the day and 1:25-1:45 at night.

I'm not sure where we finished up at, we had a severely dehydrated member of our co-team (four stumps and a bush), and had to bug out to get him to urgent care before noon.

Trainwreck took all these pictures by the way..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just got home. Don't have much time now but the OP was a blast. The race was great, riding was great and it was awesome meeting some new Monkeys.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Team Beast From the East entered the pretty tough 4 person male catagory, we all threw down some fast laps....at one time we were up to 7th, but ended up in 14th (out of 98)

definitely a good time ! :D

a few pics mostly from the start

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
Looks like kind of a cruser of like one with mustache bars!

Westy shaves his legs westy shaves his legs.
Wachu talkin bout boy? If I had 6 more legs I'd look like a tarantula.
If anything you should be commenting about my kick ass Amgen/Epogen Jersey I snagged from Ghostrider.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
splat said:
What happened that Heather DNF'd ?

and is as you put it "Dusk Mask lady" is she riding a cyclo-cross bike ?
not sure what DML was on, but I did see a few cyclo-cross bikes, lots of ss's, a few 29ers and some people even on cruisers

Heather was finishing her 4th lap, 5 min's out of 1st and crashed hard, hurt her ankle pretty bad....she pulled a tendon, her foot swelled up like a balloon, and was all black and blue

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
Wachu talkin bout boy? If I had 6 more legs I'd look like a tarantula.
If anything you should be commenting about my kick ass Amgen/Epogen Jersey I snagged from Ghostrider.
:hot: OHHHH i see the little reb blood cells on it now VERY NICE!

did you get your picture with tinker?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
Heather was finishing her 4th lap, 5 min's out of 1st and crashed hard, hurt her ankle pretty bad....she pulled a tendon, her foot swelled up like a balloon, and was all black and blue
:eek: My poor Heather!! Does she need someone to cater to her every need?!!? :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
peter6061 said:
Well, it looks like our idea to double up at night only got us more sleep. Didn't do anything good to our times. Maybe the 12123434 thing would have worked better.

Oh, and Westy, I've got a bag of stuff for you,.... derailleur, audio cable, etc,...
I felt bad for sticking you and Doug with cleaning up the RV. Felt even worse when I realized I left some crap in there. Thanks for grabbing it.

I never thought 1234.... would be faster but the rest was nice. Probably wouldn't have been able to stay awake for the dumpster fire if it wasn't for the extra sleep.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Westy said:
I felt bad for sticking you and Doug with cleaning up the RV. Felt even worse when I realized I left some crap in there. Thanks for grabbing it.

I never thought 1234.... would be faster but the rest was nice. Probably wouldn't have been able to stay awake for the dumpster fire if it wasn't for the extra sleep.
Yeah, other than an external bath, the RV looked just as it did when we picked it up. (I dont know how)

There was a 'lot' of leftover food when we finally got to cleaning out the cupboards, but fortunately Douglas pounded the rest of the Jim Beam so that none went to waste.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Hey Douglas--

Thanks for posting the pic of me at the start with the "dedication" jersey!!!!! I couldn't believe the support comments from riders while on the course. Please know I'm not being picky, just informing fellow monkeys that just to left of that pic is Alaina's seat since she rode with me. I think it was Ghost that passed me on the trail during my last lap and saw the seat on.

Though my computer shows differently, it sure felt like I was riding faster with Alaina's seat on than without.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OK here are my pictures.

I was trying to poach a picture of the skanky chick in green pants just as Peter6061 zoomed by.

Tequila Doug showing off his unique turning style

Ghostrider's Daughter notice a rock that looked like a bear eating honey. In a fit of jealous rage he tried ripping its head off.

Here is my artistic rendition of why you should make sure your the ashes from your fire are cold before putting them in a dumpster in a desert that hasn't seen rain in 100+ days.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
After the race we headed to Phoenix. Peter6061 thought that Doug and I spent too much time riding our bikes over the weekend and took us to a place where we could walk our bikes. It was pretty much a clinic on rocky technical riding and Peter6061 kicked our asses up and down the mountain.

Taking a break.

P6061 riding up a pile of rocks.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Great pics! I've seen that photo where Peter is riding up those rock stairs a bunch of times - what is the name of that trail?

And does douglas have a new nickname?? "Tequila Doug???"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Peter has definately been up and down those rocks a few times. It was an awesome trail that kicked my ass. I have vowed to go back and do a better job on it at some point.

As far a tequila Doug is concerned, while waiting for him to finish a lap his friend Wiley from Albany shared a few stories.

J

JRB

Great stuff fellas. I am a little jealous to not ever have gone there, but I think I have abandoned trying to riding fast, so I am sure I would be in everyone's way.

Good job guys. Is Heather ok now???

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MMcG said:
Great pics! I've seen that photo where Peter is riding up those rock stairs a bunch of times - what is the name of that trail?

"National" 1700ft in 4.5 miles

that trail kicked my ass so bad........I should have left my bike in the RV and hiked up it.

MMcG said:
My friends Heather & Wiley found ridemonkey camp, and asked where is Tequila Doug. (I was in the RV) I guess everyone looked at each other until someone said we have a regular Doug here :rolleyes:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
loco said:
Great stuff fellas. I am a little jealous to not ever have gone there, but I think I have abandoned trying to riding fast, so I am sure I would be in everyone's way.
how fast you are doesnt matter, 24's are great being there is such a mix of skills & rider speed
99% of the riders I encountered were supper cool regardless of if I was passing them or if they were passing me.

loco said:

Good job guys. Is Heather ok now???
she called me last night, she'll be back to 100% in no time

J

JRB

douglas said:
how fast you are doesnt matter, 24's are great being there is such a mix of skills & rider speed
99% of the riders I encountered were supper cool regardless of if I was passing them or if they were passing me.

Yeah - I've done a few. I was just making up excuses. Stop ruining it for me. :D

Glad Heather is on the mend. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:

Out of the whole race I only had a problem getting around one dude, everyone else was very cool about it. I always got the hell out of someones way when they came up on me too.

Good to hear Heather will be back in action.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well I'm finally back at work and slacking again after a great mini-vacation to slice my winter in half. Mucho thanks to ghostrider for his great hospitality as always. Big props to peter6061 and douglas for getting the RV and setting us up in a killer location for the race. And thanks to Westy for loaning me some food while my grub was trapped in the sleeping wife and child trailer. As expected I was the slowest team member, and when I got back to California T-Dog rubbed it in nicely by kicking my ass on a 3+ hour ride when he hadn't ridden or trained in months. I had an awesome time though. All my pictures are crappy ones from my phone but here they are:

Upon arrival I was greeted by the cutest being on the planet:

Me, ghostrider, and douglas had dinner with Tinker:

The next morning we tried to find a good place to stash Westy's bike for the start:

Westy got a kickass start and was among the top riders through after the first lap, sporting his Amgen/Epogen jersey :D

ghostrider's bling bling blur required constant attention to survive the gruelling conditions:

You can imagine the horrible riding conditions with weather like this:

Eventually it got dark and peter6061 represented in his long sleeve RM jersey:

And the final shot I have is ghostrider near the end of his final lap, about to be handed a Fat Tire Ale: