Quantcast

any of y'all sew?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
just curious of any of y'all have ever sewn before. what was your first experience like? did you use your hands and thimble, or a sewing machine?

i'm thinking about trying to put together a pouch for a mini tool and wallet, with a belt loop, for days when i just want to cruise around town. i could get a saddle bag, but eh....that's boring.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
the Inbred said:
just curious of any of y'all have ever sewn before. what was your first experience like? did you use your hands and thimble, or a sewing machine?

i'm thinking about trying to put together a pouch for a mini tool and wallet, with a belt loop, for days when i just want to cruise around town. i could get a saddle bag, but eh....that's boring.
I used to ride only sew-ups. Fixing them required a bit of sewing...

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
yeah dude i sew just about everyday for fun...i do it as a hoby...i think i'm gonna compete someday. i'm getting real fast at it

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
manziman said:
hmm, i'll just have the GF's g-ma sew me up a nice scarf or something cool...
yeah, my grandmother could sew pretty well. i believe she is burried in one of the church dresses she sewed for herself. my mom and my aunt can both sew, as well. but i can't. i'd like to learn how, and i need a couple things, so i figure this might be a good learning experience. or it might be a waste of time and money since i can buy them for like $15 together.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
the Inbred said:

I think Austin is getting to you dude. A pouch? What's next, a European carryall?

Just kidding. I sew buttons and repair the ripped clothes that I wanna keep wearing. I never learned to use a machine, and never bothered w/a thimble. As a kid I made a quiver for arrows, a stuffed animal for a girl, and a hat. I never did anything real difficult or fancy. No zippers, snaps, etc. Most of the women in my family can sew w/a machine, though some refuse to.

It's nice to be able to take some fabric and make it into something, or to repair something you like instead of throwing it away. If you use scrap or remnant fabric for your project, and do it by hand, you won't be wasting any money. Whether it's a waste of time, you'll have to judge.

J

JRB

THIS IS "RIDEMONKEY" FOR GOD'S SAKE. Please stop with the good housekeeping crap, you little home maker bitches.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
loco said:
THIS IS "RIDEMONKEY" FOR GOD'S SAKE. Please stop with the good housekeeping crap, you little home maker bitches.
Yup, I get in touch w/my feminine side so I don't have to buy new clothes when a button falls off or a seam lets go. It keeps me out of the clothing stores.

Dammit, I was just passing by Temple the other day. I should have brought my bike by for you to tune up. . . I hear you put out like that ;)

J

JRB

Fathead said:
Yup, I get in touch w/my feminine side so I don't have to buy new clothes when a button falls off or a seam lets go. It keeps me out of the clothing stores.

Dammit, I was just passing by Temple the other day. I should have brought my bike by for you to tune up. . . I hear you put out like that ;)
I do. We need to gang up soon. I vote for next month. Meet up, camp, ride, drink.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
loco said:
I do. We need to gang up soon. I vote for next month. Meet up, camp, ride, drink.
Right on. I'm taking my kids to Huntsville SP for some EZ ridin' sometime in April. Also hoping to race at Lake Lake if I can get out and train sometime. I don't think I've seen a dry trail this YEAR.

My bro-in-law will be back at Hood from Iraq in the next 2 wks, so we may be heading that way again sometime. I'll let you know.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, i use a big expensive machine to embroider things for me. does that count?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I sew.

I grew up in the middle of freakin' nowhere with no TV. I was the kid that saved everything so I could assymble it later with glue or nails. ;)

My mom had a sewing machine so I would sew my own stuffed toys and crap.

that was YEARS ago. about 5 years ago, my wife bought me a 100 dollar sewing machine from Sears for a x-mas gift. At the time I worked in a warehouse and it got cold in the winter so I went down to the Malden Mills outlet store and got 2 yards of really good quality fleece and a pattern for a hoody.

from there I made many pairs of fleece pants (don't buy the crap from the fabric store that is on sale, it's garbage), a pretty cool bag with an inside zippered pocket for my wife, many zip up hoodys and pull over hoodys, a few pair of mens pants (ones that really show off my ass;)), curtins for the bedroom, (including the steel skull curtin rod holders), a weather protecting cover for the table outside and a rain cover thingy for my Camelback.

Sewing is pretty easy. it's like cooking, if you follow a pattern/recipe, it's probably going to turn out alright.

My crappy little 100 dollar machine held up well and I made a bunch of really nice stuff with it.

around here, we have Seattle Fabrics, which sells outdoor type fabric such as quality fleece, gore-tex and other stuff like that. Malden Mills however is gone. :(

if you have techical questions, search for GearGirl on here, she sews for a living.

I'll look around and see if I can find some pics of my stuff....

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
wow, pnj, I'm very impressed! I cannot sew to save my life, even resewing a button on something comes out all f'd up when I do it...my sisters can sew clothes, curtains, you name it...they can also cook, whereas I cannot...I guess the domestic gene passed me by...I got all the mad biking and snowboarding skills for the family instead. :rolleyes: :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I can sew. I had to learn to make my own clothes for the medieval recreation thingie that I do. I can draft patterns, drape on a dummy/form and put it all together. I can hand sew leather too. I make shoes, boots, and various other leather goods and toys.

As a friend said to me when I balked at sewing... "Dude, it's just another power tool. Like your drill or your welder. You drink beer, then you use it. Just like any other power tool."

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
dh girlie said:
Medieval recreation?!?!?! You into Dungeons and Dragons?
Nah... no fantasy aspect involved. There are no wizards or trolls, etc. Mucho research, and live combat. Not choreographed. Fun fun fun. (Yeah, I am a history geek.)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Ciaran said:
As a friend said to me when I balked at sewing... "Dude, it's just another power tool. Like your drill or your welder. You drink beer, then you use it. Just like any other power tool."

exactly.

but I go one step further then just drinking beer. I listen to SLAYER!!!:evil: (or someother metal...)

I can't seem to find any of my photo's...:(

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i can't seem to find any cordura here in town, so i'm thinking about using a vinyl liner, with a canvas outside. is it possible to sew that by hand, or will i need a machine?

does thread come in different sizes/ thicknesses?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
http://seattlefabrics.com/
http://seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#fc3

get a catalog from them. It's not as good as being in the store but it's cool to see all the stuff they have.

as for fabrics locally, don't forget second hand stores. I'm sure you can find a crappy old backpack/bookbag for next to nothing and use the fabric from it.

you can sew anything by hand but machines are often faster/better.

thread comes not only in different sizes but in quality and type. get the best kind you can, it's worth it.

I mentioned my $100.00 machine in my other post because most people would overlook such a low priced machine. I wouldn't suggest getting an old used machine as they often have unforseen problems. (unless you do your research and plan on spending $$$$). my point is, you don't have to have the best machine to make quality stuff.

why use two material types? I realize you probably want waterproof but do you really think you'll be pedaling around in the rain?

for now, I would suggest using maybe the lower section of an old pair of pants for fabric. I know whenever I make a new patter for something, by the time I'm done I have come up with a few ways to make it better. so using cheaper fabric on the first one usually saves some money. (although a bag such as the one you want to make is so small, it hardly matters.)

what tools do you want to carry around with you in your pack? do you want it to be more then just a fanny pack that everyone had 15 or so years ago? do you always wear a belt?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
scrap materials for the first run...good idea.

i want to carry a CrankBros Multi-19, a (really, really) small adjustable wrench, and my wallet. want it smaller than a fanny pack, and i always wear a belt. i'm envisioning a little holster like the one that came with my Leatherman.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
scrap materials for the first run...good idea.

i want to carry a CrankBros Multi-19, a (really, really) small adjustable wrench, and my wallet. want it smaller than a fanny pack, and i always wear a belt. i'm envisioning a little holster like the one that came with my Leatherman.
Go to Tandy Leather Co. over off of 51st then. Leather working is far less ghey. I am starting to think I am going to see you parading around in a thong like Leslie. Knock it off with the homemaker Henrietta crap already. ;)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/

search for the user Geargrrl on this site. that specialty outdoors site is hers. she sews for a living and makes some pretty bad ass stuff for people all over the world. right now, someone is risking their life on the top of the tallest mountain wearing something she made.

she can probably answer some questions for you and if nothing else, provide some inspiration.

the comment about leather being 'less gehy' is funny. leather is the preferred material for homosexuals...;):D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
loco said:
Go to Tandy Leather Co. over off of 51st then. Leather working is far less ghey. I am starting to think I am going to see you parading around in a thong like Leslie. Knock it off with the homemaker Henrietta crap already. ;)
friend of mine high school does leather stuff. he's the one who made me my wallet, actually. no parading for me. no thongs, either. no making my own clothes. just a little tool holder thingie.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
pnj said:
the comment about leather being 'less gehy' is funny. leather is the preferred material for homosexuals...;):D
Wait... I thought you were the preferred material... umm.. nevermind. :D (I'm just kidding, don't get mad)
Try stitching leather sometime. See how ghey it is when your fingertips are bleeding. And there is nothing ghey about killing an animal, ripping it's skin off of it, and tanning the hide in said animals own brains. All while you enjoy the roasted flesh of the animal. Leather is the material of choice for saddles, boots, bondage gear. and blade sheaths. That ain't gay. Pleather (or any other fake "leather") is gay.

Seriously though, if you are looking for quality hides and don't mind waiting a few days for delivery then try the Napa Hide house. http://hidehouse.com/ Excellent leather. Much better quality than Tandy. Tandy is great for tools and such, and practice leather. If you are in need of help or tools let me know. I am actually a pretty good leather crafter (Been seriously working leather for about 7 years), and have a ton of old and spare tools.

Edit: Depending on how much leather you need I may be able to donate some to you. I have a ton.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
My mom taught me to sew when I was 4 years old. I used that learned skill to pick up chicks in 9th grade home-economics class. Thanks mom!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
alrighty, well i've put together the prototype and have come to the conclusion that sewing by hand is not fun. as such, i will be visiting wal-mart tomorrow to buy a sewing machine, and will promptly be Taking Back Sunday.