Quantcast

Any of you ever make furniture?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I was assuming at first that the fissures served an aesthetic purpose.

But if the purpose of the project was to show you can bend concrete after pouring, rebar doesn't help much there either.
This also deserves a :thumb: as I think so far you are the only one in the thread to grasp the concept.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Yes. I did. It is a legitimate question. The rebar doesn't have to be thick or anything, in fact, you could use chicken coop wiring to build a form and bend it in a similar fashion. I'd imagine that would retain the bend-ability you are going for while providing increased strength.

I actually happen to think the bench looks cool. I'd consider it if that was my style.
There is some rebar and metal lath inside of it. The rebar won't bend with the form, so it's use is limited. The metal lath adds strength around the bends, but the fissured areas change how force moves through the arch, and I didn't want them to break off in chunks and compromise the structure. I also didn't want any rebar or metal lath exposed in the fissures. Think of it as being more fiber-reinforced than standard concrete. Or as building something out of carbon fiber vs just resin.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This also deserves a :thumb: as I think so far you are the only one in the thread to grasp the concept.
Are you sure you aren't trolling, you grill the man on the previous page then give him a thumbs up on this page.

I really like the timber table, I'd really love to learn how to stem bend, tried bending American Roack Maple to the shape of a car dash and failed miserably only managed about 1.5" bend over the length.

Surely ther's a weirdo on here that mades their own coffin or something cool, where are those pics?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Are you sure you aren't trolling, you grill the man on the previous page then give him a thumbs up on this page.
Haha, no. That's just me forgetting what I wrote yesterday and browsing over that comment again today. I complimented him for actually reading, something most chimps don't do.