Quantcast

Any of you ever make furniture?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I made this for a class a while ago, but just now got around to making a project layout for it. The text may be difficult to read, but basically it's just some fancy stuff for showing how you can bend concrete without breaking it.

Last edited:

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
"... structurally it far exceeds the necessary strength for a bench of it's size."

Y U NO SHOW CALCULATIONS???!!!!

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
"... structurally it far exceeds the necessary strength for a bench of it's size."

Y U NO SHOW CALCULATIONS???!!!!
The structural properties of the concrete mixture that I made aren't found in any reference book for one. Secondly, it's riddled with cracks, so any calculation that you do is going to be very vague...and in the end incorrect.

I've ridden my bike over it, and have had two guys standing on it at the same time so I know that it will hold at least 400 pounds.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
With aviators no less......it's like, are you cold or are you hot? Pick one. And after you pick, show us your boobs. And while you're at it, stop lying down on a broken section of sidewalk. You don't know where that's been. I bet that stone wall behind you is 1000X stronger than that "bench". Sit on that. Then sit on my face.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
With aviators no less......it's like, are you cold or are you hot? Pick one. And after you pick, show us your boobs. And while you're at it, stop lying down on a broken section of sidewalk. You don't know where that's been. I bet that stone wall behind you is 1000X stronger than that "bench". Sit on that. Then sit on my face.
Must spread rep.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Probably a P.A.G, I'd watch out. Curls finger. *POP*

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Very cool. I'd put it in my place.

I made this a few years ago. If I was doing it again, I would get a much thicker piece of wood for the top so that it would be a solid surface.

I want to build a new desk for my office. For that I'd like to use a live edge flitch for the top. Then some sort of metal legs to keep it from looking rustic.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I make a stool every morning.

Asshatery aside, pretty cool. I'm guessing with the cracks it is not intended to last long in damp freeze-thaw climates.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'm guessing with the cracks it is not intended to last long in damp freeze-thaw climates.
I'm not sure how it would do in the tundra, but it's been sitting outside for 3 years now. It doesn't normally snow here, but last year it snowed more than it has in the last 15 years and no problems to report.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I was assuming at first that the fissures served an aesthetic purpose.

But if the purpose of the project was to show you can bend concrete after pouring, rebar doesn't help much there either.
If this wasn't Ridemonkey, I would assume that you read the text.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Been awhile, has it? :rofl:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I just go out on Garbage night and replace the damaged stuff as needed. Boric Acid takes care of the roaches and fabreeze takes care of the unwashed booty smell.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've made a lot of stuff out of concrete over the years. Big bowl pours mostly to use for fountains and such.

I always put rebar in my stuff. Mostly because I want it to support the weight of water, and/or fire rings.

I'll have to get my buddy to send photos.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Did you two learn reading?
Yes. I did. It is a legitimate question. The rebar doesn't have to be thick or anything, in fact, you could use chicken coop wiring to build a form and bend it in a similar fashion. I'd imagine that would retain the bend-ability you are going for while providing increased strength.

I actually happen to think the bench looks cool. I'd consider it if that was my style.

Last edited:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
The only thing I've ever made was a pot rack for my old place. It came out pretty good if I do say so myself. I added more hooks on the inside of the outside board for spoons and such. The poles are a curtain rod. This was my first wiring job too. An architect at my last job thought it would sag. I never tested it but it felt like I could hang from it!

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What is it? Plywood table with metal slats and a Chevy tailgate that folds down? It looks like it has a specific purpose, but I can't figure out what that is.
It's just a basic bench with the tailgate from a step side as a back and the wood is refinished bed wood from the original truck. This was the first one, he also made a rocker, a swing, and one that reclines. I just thought it looked cool, even though my '66 is a fleet side.

It was made by a guy on the 67-72 Chevy truck site (parts off a 60-66, though). The picture might look a little off because the tailgate is from a step side (narrow bed), so the dimensions look funky.