Quantcast

Any of you going to be at the Mammoth Nationals??

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
A lot of you know my story and why I ride. I've signed up for the Mammoth marathon to ride for my daughter, and I guess you can say I'm itching to meet some of you that have shown support over the past couple of years. I'll be arriving to pre-ride on Wed, event on Thur, then leaving Fri. My wife/Alaina's mommy will be with me, too, so I'll be a bit busy at night (it's also our 8th anniversary, so let the fireworks begin, if you know what I mean).

If you'll be there, maybe we could hook up for a beer or ???

Shawn

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Ok all, my plans are to check in to St. Anton's on Wed. and pre-ride the whole course, starting at about noon. I shouldn't be too difficult to find-- I'll be riding a green Cannondale with a child's seat on the back, helmet attached. Yes, I'll pre-ride the whole course with the seat so Alaina can join me and give me feed-back. Thurs., I'll be "racing" on my blue/silver Cake 4. Shorts will be green or red, and jersey will be either gold or white/red. Oh, I appreciate the offer to stick around, but as I mentioned, it's also our 8th anniversary on Saturday, so I plan some hanky-panky with the missus. Doesn't mean we still can't hook up at the venue or ???? Let me know, as I'm pumped to get there!!!!!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
No, I didn't have to qualify. The marathon is one of the events that doesn't require riders to qualify through-out the year. My reason for participation is to honor my daughter. Alaina loved going to Mammoth to see "Buddy", the statue at the main lodge. When I heard about the event last year, I had to do it. What upset me, though, is that the official stopped me after lap 2 (maybe because I was lapped by Dave, Tinker, and 2 other riders?? I don't know for sure). This year, though, I was given Gerard B's (head honch at USCF) assurance that I'd be able to finish. Granted, I feel stronger than last year, so making a better showing shouldn't be a problem. However, with the fees and my reason for riding, unless something catastrophic happens, it'll be quite rewarding to cross that finish line, "get my money's worth", and take care of some "unfinished business".

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mantispf2000 said:
No, I didn't have to qualify. The marathon is one of the events that doesn't require riders to qualify through-out the year. My reason for participation is to honor my daughter. Alaina loved going to Mammoth to see "Buddy", the statue at the main lodge. When I heard about the event last year, I had to do it. What upset me, though, is that the official stopped me after lap 2 (maybe because I was lapped by Dave, Tinker, and 2 other riders?? I don't know for sure). This year, though, I was given Gerard B's (head honch at USCF) assurance that I'd be able to finish. Granted, I feel stronger than last year, so making a better showing shouldn't be a problem. However, with the fees and my reason for riding, unless something catastrophic happens, it'll be quite rewarding to cross that finish line, "get my money's worth", and take care of some "unfinished business".
awesome & goodluck, I really wish I had the $$ to get out there, cheer ya on ( and do the XC race )

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I qualified to race DH, but won't be going. :( And...to rub it in...my brother who used to live in Mammoth (& now lives in Tahoe) informed me today that he had a pimp place for me to stay all lined up for me. Wish i had the $$ and time to go. Another time perhaps....