Quantcast

Any of you guys know rocks well?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1jqq3eA6fyxzh7w26

Haley got a collection of stones from her uncle, but being a 6 year old she separated them from the names. He's on a dig somewhere in South Dakota so I can't get a hold of him to confirm the rock types. Today her class is studying rocks in Earth Science and she has a great addition, but we have no idea what she has.

I believe the sharp edged black stone is an obsidian and I know the metallic crystal is lead of some form. The rest I am stumped on and need help. I'm trying to figure out the name of the rock and type (sedimentary, etc).

Anybody know their rocks?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Only crack.

Also, if you start solving your kid's self created problems now, you're gonna have a bad time.
Normally I tell her to sort her shit out, but I told the teacher that she's bringing in rocks and discovered this chaos this am.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Do you still have the names? Like, written on little tags somewhere or whatever? You said she "separated them from the names" so I'm assuming the names are still around, just not sitting next to the actual rocks. So maybe do a Google image search for each rock name and see what it looks like?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Do you still have the names? Like, written on little tags somewhere or whatever? You said she "separated them from the names" so I'm assuming the names are still around, just not sitting next to the actual rocks. So maybe do a Google image search for each rock name and see what it looks like?
FT proving he's not just the eye candy on ridemonkey.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
The second pic looks like polished Sandstone that is commonly found in the Dakotas. The pic with fossil on top also looks like a type of sandstone.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Let me rephrase that; they're gone.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I know some wooks who hang out by the creek near the library. they will prolly trade you a burrito or heady grilled cheese for that stash.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Anybody know their rocks?
I occasionally launch myself off of my bike onto rocks. I also do a lot of rock climbing.

I can identify up to 5 different types of rocks. Sharp and pointy, round and scrapy, big and collarbone breaky, small and loose, shiny and cool looking. Most of those look small and loose to me with some shiny and cool looking thrown in.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A trip to the Library would serve you well. Cool samples. Thorite has a low level of Radioactivity. Just saying...
I don't disagree. I can also wait until her uncle comes to visit again and sorts them out. Then I can take pictures and label them accordingly.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't disagree. I can also wait until her uncle comes to visit again and sorts them out. Then I can take pictures and label them accordingly.
You can post the named samples here. I would geek out on them. Can you take a better pic of the Desert Rose? Have you seen if any of them glow? Do you have access to a green Laser? Fire it at the Galena in the dark so that the reflection hits a painted wall. The laser will shimmer and fade as it crosses the striations and faults.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You can post the named samples here. I would geek out on them. Can you take a better pic of the Desert Rose? Have you seen if any of them glow? Do you have access to a green Laser? Fire it at the Galena in the dark so that the reflection hits a painted wall. The laser will shimmer and fade as it crosses the striations and faults.
Cleavage, heh.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Find the rock version of the famous identifying wood book

(Yep, it's wood.)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just make shit up like a mix and match with the names you got. You have an entire class of kids your daughter's age that have no clue and you're gambling on one teacher that more than likely isn't a geologist and gets her rocks off on...well....rocks.

Edit: And your screen name is Stoney and looks like your last name is Stone. If you can't figure this shit out, nobody can.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Every Library will have a copy of National Audubon Society Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals. It will take 15 minutes for you to identify those samples. The lesson learned will be the reward. Have your child look them up after you show her how to use a Index.