Quantcast

Any Of You Have WAO Handlebar/Stem combo?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Seems like a cool way to combine carbon bar and stem in a lighter package (and if not, at least it will weld together over time). I have the Syncros enduro bar on my XC race bike, which is lighter than my previous XC setup, but way way stronger. The problem I have with it is that it's crazy stiff, like over the top stiff.. The integrated carbon stem makes sense for weight savings, but IDK if I'd do it again, vs something like that We Are One What? seems like a good way to do it and not end up with an insanely stiff ride. I remember fretting about the stem length on the Hixon though, over and over. In the end, I nailed it correctly, but that can potentially go wrong.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
buddy has them (on his arrival; bastard). no special juju reported. sweep feels fine, and they look really pretty? decently light, never heard of a failure, supports good canadian kids. about all you can ask for really.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I do and in all honesty it feels pretty similar to OneUp 35mm bar and RF Turbine stem, which is also pretty comfy.

The stem is nice and light, but it somewhat odd looking. And although you can't get the bar by itself, the sleeve just makes it 35mm so you can run it with any 35 stem. It's not married to the stem so you are not stuck with just 35 or 45 stem length.

The toughest thing for me was getting the bar right. How they do the rise/sweep is odd, not the numbers themselves but where on the bar they start it. I ended up running it what looks like rolled way forward to get it how I like it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I picked a set up from a dude in Squamish who got an Arrival but didn't like 'em. I got a killer deal as a result. Not sure I'd drop full retail.

The finish is very nice, and I've been happy with the feel of the bars. As with all things, I cannot tell if what I feel is my fork, running a DD front tire, different PSI in it, trail conditions, etc... They sure hold my grips well and change the direction of my wheel with great effect.

Mainly, it looks far better than my OEM Norco stem, and it gave me a reason to buy some anti-seize for the Ti bolts.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I can't speak for the bar/stem but these wheels look real purty. I need to get some rubber mounted and throw em in the Mullet. (I bought a set of WAO Unions laced to Hadleys... mullet sized of course.)

20221002_165615.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Y U no unidirectional layup?
You can see the UD on the edges, looks like they added a cosmetic strip in the channel. He may have opted for the cosmetic weave pattern or maybe that's just what they do. All CF rims are UD, just the top layer is weave if they decided to do it that way (buyer request or whatever).

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I got em (35mm rise bars, 45mm long stem). Yeah, to echo the previous comments it's good, seems similar to the oneup bar to me. I actually really like the 45mm length stem. I had been playing with stem lengths for a bit (35/40/50 before the WAO stem) and found the 45mm to feel the best (I have a 44mm offset fork for reference).

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
This seems marketed as more of a set than most bars and stems from the same company. At first I expected it to be a one-piece. They look like a normal bar and stem. Is there something I'm missing or is it just marketing?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This seems marketed as more of a set than most bars and stems from the same company. At first I expected it to be a one-piece. They look like a normal bar and stem. Is there something I'm missing or is it just marketing?
ITS CRABONZ AND SR-71 GRADE ISHT!!!11!!!!!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
It has a shim. Which is new technology somehow?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Bar, Stem, and sleeve to run the bar with the stem (Bar is actually 33mm, not 35mm). Ti hardware on the stem.. <marketing_pitch>If 31.8mm is too flexy and 35mm is too stiff this seems to be the happy medium?</ marketing_pitch>

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It has a shim. Which is new technology somehow?
HIT N RUN is doing his stems all 35mm and sells a shim so peeps can run a 31.8 bar in the 35mm stem. Its cool but once the shim is on the bar and everything is in the stem - theres no way to adjust rake or move the bars at all.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
HIT N RUN is doing his stems all 35mm and sells a shim so peeps can run a 31.8 bar in the 35mm stem. Its cool but once the shim is on the bar and everything is in the stem - theres no way to adjust rake or move the bars at all.
Interesting... the WAO bars have a nub that the sleeve fits on and it doesn't seem to move when adjusting rake

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Interesting... the WAO bars have a nub that the sleeve fits on and it doesn't seem to move when adjusting rake
That'd be cool. Those H n R stems are top load... so badass. I've got an older 31.8 version that I run. I can't get down with 35mm bars and those new stems with their shims... ugh. Whenever I see a bike product that requires shims I start rolling me eyes.