Quantcast

Any Of You Riding A Newer R.S. Super Deluxe?

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
I bought a cheap near new SD with the express purpose of Vorsprung Tractive tuning it. SD Tractive feels better in every way than the Float X2 that it replaced. Also easier to service and doesn't ingest air like every X2. The SD in its stock guise felt nowhere near as good.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Mine feels like an air shock...with too much compression damping.

When I complained about the sharp-edged bump absorption...they said they would revalve and mainly open the LSC more. I'm thinking that just makes the problem worse?
My bike Is linear to progressive, it might have too much damping for a progressive bike. Less LSC doesn't make sense to me at least. Less HSC makes more sense. I run 1 click for natural chunk and 3 for park. It hugs the ground very well. I found their spring recommendation to be a bit firm for as damped the shock is and my bike does best at 33% sag. So I got a 375 spring vs the 400 and 425 they sent me

Less LSC would work for a really progressive frame. Since support comes from the linkage.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My bike Is linear to progressive, it might have too much damping for a progressive bike. Less LSC doesn't make sense to me at least. Less HSC makes more sense. I run 1 click for natural chunk and 3 for park. It hugs the ground very well. I found their spring recommendation to be a bit firm for as damped the shock is and my bike does best at 33% sag. So I got a 375 spring vs the 400 and 425 they sent me

Less LSC would work for a really progressive frame. Since support comes from the linkage.
I'll be beating on it in Arizona next month, that's where I'll make my determination on whether it's ok for high speed heavy abuse or still kicking bad on sharp stuff. I sent my 400lb spring back to get it switched for a 350. 400lb was just wildly oversprung, especially in my 155 setting, made me feel like I was riding a stanced bike all stink-bugged on my fork. 350 works great in my 155 setting, maybe 375 for my 165, but the 400 was just crazy heavy.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I'll be beating on it in Arizona next month, that's where I'll make my determination on whether it's ok for high speed heavy abuse or still kicking bad on sharp stuff. I sent my 400lb spring back to get it switched for a 350. 400lb was just wildly oversprung, especially in my 155 setting, made me feel like I was riding a stanced bike all stink-bugged on my fork. 350 works great in my 155 setting, maybe 375 for my 165, but the 400 was just crazy heavy.
I don't mind heavy damping if it's controlled. But don't like the feel if over sprung as well, I'm not racing so it's got to be good all day, not just a few minutes. It's good for me with 375lbs and 163mm travel. I'm thinking of getting a 350lbs as well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't mind heavy damping if it's controlled. But don't like the feel if over sprung as well, I'm not racing so it's got to be good all day, not just a few minutes. It's good for me with 375lbs and 163mm travel. I'm thinking of getting a 350lbs as well.
Well, it's that transition to the HSC and being able to do that smoothly in chunky terrain that I'm worried about, since it seems to be kicking on sharp edged stuff pretty good right now. The stability of LSC/LSR doesn't bother me either, but it's gotta be able to move fast when the terrain dictates.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Well, it's that transition to the HSC and being able to do that smoothly in chunky terrain that I'm worried about, since it seems to be kicking on sharp edged stuff pretty good right now. The stability of LSC/LSR doesn't bother me either, but it's gotta be able to move fast when the terrain dictates.
It sounds like your shock has too much HSC. I feel the transition is smooth from LSC to HSC. Was it tuned for your bike? I can turn HSC up to skip over rocks at the park to keep speed up, and turn it down so it's comfortable for all day rides. I got my shock with my bike, Canfield specifically states Low HSC for its tunes.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Allegedly twice and one of the SS employees runs a GG, but this Bomber CR hits a bump and just blows off beautiful. It could use a little more support, but it's kicking a$$ as far as the $1.1K shock. I have to believe the EXT is capable of better.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Guy on eBay is selling the air Super Deluxe Ultimate shocks for cheap. Brand new but OEM. Seems to be the latest model as it comes with Debonair + spring and RC2T valving.

Anyone bought an "OEM" shock before? I was of the understanding that OEM stuff usually had a few less bells and whistles than standard aftermarket models, but this one seems to have all the things.

Might be a goer?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Guy on eBay is selling the air Super Deluxe Ultimate shocks for cheap. Brand new but OEM. Seems to be the latest model as it comes with Debonair + spring and RC2T valving.

Anyone bought an "OEM" shock before? I was of the understanding that OEM stuff usually had a few less bells and whistles than standard aftermarket models, but this one seems to have all the things.

Might be a goer?
Link?
Quick look and damn, there are a crap load of new RS on flea bay right now. The bike industry recession is in full swing.

Didn't see any new ones for a good price, but tons of older gen bnib Ultimates for $250-$325 which is a killer price! Coil and air...

If it's still an Ultimate, OEM generally just means it has a tune for whatever bike it was specced on.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm really happy with my '23 SD Coil Ultimate, like it better than my EXT. Haven't tried the older version.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have a 2019 Super Deluxe RCT Coil that I sent to Craig.
I am quite pleased with it's performance.

At that price, for the performance you would get, I think you would be money ahead to pick one up and sent it to Craig or Steve.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Link?
Quick look and damn, there are a crap load of new RS on flea bay right now. The bike industry recession is in full swing.

Didn't see any new ones for a good price, but tons of older gen bnib Ultimates for $250-$325 which is a killer price! Coil and air...

If it's still an Ultimate, OEM generally just means it has a tune for whatever bike it was specced on.
Link:

I wonder how much a "tune" is transferable to another bike. FWIW, this would be going on a Pivot Firebird 29, previous gen:

Cheers.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Link:

I wonder how much a "tune" is transferable to another bike. FWIW, this would be going on a Pivot Firebird 29, previous gen:

Cheers.
This is the older 'B' model without the Debonair+ air can. You can recognize the newer 'C' version by their ribs on the aircan.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
This is the older 'B' model without the Debonair+ air can. You can recognize the newer 'C' version by their ribs on the aircan.
Thanks mate, these eBay listings are often a bit lacking in detail.

Do you or anyone else know if there's much difference in B vs C models? Am I right in thinking you can't "upgrade" to the latest model air can with the listed model?

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks mate, these eBay listings are often a bit lacking in detail.

Do you or anyone else know if there's much difference in B vs C models? Am I right in thinking you can't "upgrade" to the latest model air can with the listed model?
I actually had two Deluxes in size 165x45, so had a nice comparison. The C model has a equalizer dimple deeper into its travel with an offset main air piston. Even though it looks like it has a smaller neg chamber from the outside, it's probably larger. The progressive 'can is probably closer to a megneg.

The valving is probably not too different, and the old airspring was already pretty good for trailbikes. And if you have a linear frame or VPP, the megneg aircan for the B model is a great upgrade. A buddy of mine has a regular cheap Deluxe-B with megneg on his Commencal meta tr 29, and midstrokesupport and plushness is sooo much better than with the old 'can.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Are they over-damped as Tuck for modern-leverage ratio bikes in their aftermarket MM settings?

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Are they over-damped as Tuck for modern-leverage ratio bikes in their aftermarket MM settings?
I have a non-super deluxe... Regulardeluxe?
For that shock I'm positively surprised in the improvements on the damping over an older Monarch Debonair I ran on my previous frame.
Damping feels a bit more muted, not really that blow-off feeling I had before. Still using most of the travel when playing around. Rebound also has more pop.
My theory is that the pre-deluxe shocks all had the overly preloaded shimstacks to compensate for the shitty airsprings of the past... but that time is over, and RS's damping has finally caught up.
But... no experience with the SuperD.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The retail version of the SD Coil comes with a light compression & linear rebound tune. I'm running it on my Nomad 6 with the HSC in the middle, LSC 1 click open from middle, and the HBO open.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a non-super deluxe... Regulardeluxe?
For that shock I'm positively surprised in the improvements on the damping over an older Monarch Debonair I ran on my previous frame.
Damping feels a bit more muted, not really that blow-off feeling I had before. Still using most of the travel when playing around. Rebound also has more pop.
My theory is that the pre-deluxe shocks all had the overly preloaded shimstacks to compensate for the shitty airsprings of the past... but that time is over, and RS's damping has finally caught up.
But... no experience with the SuperD.
I have both monarch + and SD experience, the former being tuned though and the latter being overdamped AF for my GG. Not the latest generation SD. The issue of all aftermarket shocks coming with MM tunes has been a chronic problem, as the move toward metric and trunion has meant more stroke for travel and lower leverage…so any aftermarket was basically Tucked.