Quantcast

Any Of You With A Machine Shop…

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And to be fair, knee jerk reaction to that is probably why we have knee-scraping bikes now.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
To what, exactly?
(I’m honestly not sure what you mean).
Sure, I can swap the axle…but I already have the shortest cranks they make for that axle.
The system absolutely requires a cinch interface to work, unless you had some truly amazing CNC machines, lathes, and skillz.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Ok, here is the only clear description that I can find. The sprag clutch mounts to the custom spider via a special machined cinch interface. I can’t seem to find a technical drawing or exploded diagram, though.
B4D8A9E7-EF56-492F-8D6D-792A8540DAE3.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well that sheds more light on the issue now. So the whole thing revolves around them only offering that clutch in a single interface.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Well that sheds more light on the issue now. So the whole thing revolves around them only offering that clutch in a single interface.
Exactly. I can only really bitch a tiny bit because overall, the system is the absolute finest, sensitive, and powerful out of all of the ones I have tried, on a geometry platform that I am so intimate with it feels like home. So yeah, the fact that the BB is a bit low is a manageable complaint, and one that I guarantee will be addressed by them, Race Face, or after-market, eventually.
But for now, I have a small case of the ‘early adaptor blues’.
One thing I am trying is running the MX/Mullet link, (with a 29” rear wheel) which raises the rear end fairly substantially, and running the Ride 4 chip in the lowest setting, but it feels really, really tall and funky. Like an old Beast of The East.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
@rideit Send it on that drill press of yours.

I just might, but my stable clamping system/skills are weak. It would be a hack job at best. And if you have ever ridden a crank that was drilled even the tiniest bit off…horrible.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have you or has anyone contacted the motor manufacturer to see what their options are?

Seems to be a Canadian company, with the motor "designed in canada". I wouldn't be surprised if they picked that clutch out of some catalog. If the trail can be followed, maybe there is another option..

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Well, they have an ’engineering relationship’ of some kind with Race Face, and want to pretend to be somewhat Canadian… :p (but I believe the motor also has some euro provenance?)
Pretty sure every last bit is proprietary, and we know how much people love than on the Monkey.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

155 to 170 mm lenght, cinch interface:

Features:
• Built for Enduro and DH/Freeride and Dirt Jump bike applications
• Three-piece design
• 30mm crank spindle diameter
• Aluminum pre-loader
• Cinch chainring mount
• Four lengths currently available: 155mm, 160mm, 165mm, and 170mm
• Available for 68/73mm and 83mm bottom brackets
• Machined from billet 7075 T6 aluminum in Whistler
• Weight: 670g (170mm w/ 73mm spindle)
• Price: $420 USD

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Daaaamn
Thanks, boys.
Timely.
However, as said in the comments
1.Heavy as fuck (not too concerned)
2.Expensive as fuck (Hope I can find them wholesale)
3. Might currently be vaporware
4. Inferior construction method (CNC)
5. Not 100% sure spindle length is compatible

The modified $125 option might still be the winner here.

EDIT: send them an email, will report back. They will be in QBP, so that helps.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
According to the shudder ebike site, a "regular" spindle designed for an 83bb shell will fit, so that NSB crank should slide right in.

How is CNC inferior? Thats how they are finished, but doesn't determine what they're made of.

Expensive is a relative term, especially considering its going on a secondary play bike that is worth $$. Or does that translate to no discount? :busted:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Daaaamn
Thanks, boys.
Timely.
However, as said in the comments
1.Heavy as fuck (not too concerned)
2.Expensive as fuck (Hope I can find them wholesale)
3. Might currently be vaporware
4. Inferior construction method (CNC)
5. Not 100% sure spindle length is compatible

The modified $125 option might still be the winner here.

EDIT: send them an email, will report back. They will be in QBP, so that helps.
When did a pair of 670g cranks become heavy as fuck? Not light, but seems pretty good for the designed application of Dowhnill/dirtjump. Don't get brainwashed by the marketing into thinking a single design parameter such as CNC'd is 'inferior'. For a low volume niche product it is most likely the ideal construction technique. Either way even if forged first the final product would still need to be finished on a CNC machine. It looks like that axle interface was literally designed to be machined.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
According to the shudder ebike site, a "regular" spindle designed for an 83bb shell will fit, so that NSB crank should slide right in.

How is CNC inferior? Thats how they are finished, but doesn't determine what they're made of.

Expensive is a relative term, especially considering its going on a secondary play bike that is worth $$. Or does that translate to no discount? :busted:
I think he is referring to cranks that are forged and CNC finished, rather than only CNCed from a block of billet. The forged should align the grains better and provide higher strength.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sí, what 6th said.
As far as 'brainwashed', my current Turbine cranks are 175 grams lighter, and cost $175.
You think I am unaware of the rest of that, whippersnapper? :D
Imagine how much lighter they will be if you drill a couple of 3/4" holes in them and cut off 20mm of length?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Exactly my point, in some ways. A 155 crank should/could be wicked light. But again, as stated, that's not really a concern, just an observation for very expensive cranks.
They fail the Charlie Cunningham Equation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sí, what 6th said.
As far as 'brainwashed', my current Turbine cranks are 175 grams lighter, and cost $175.
You think I am unaware of the rest of that, whippersnapper? :D
the guy that "accidentally" an extra set of eewings complaining cranks that are less than half that price are too expensive?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
To be fair, one crank is rated from "XC to All Mountain" and the other is targeted towards enduro and dh. Which is fitting, as the first isn't offered with an 83mm spindle, for DH bikes. :D

And technically, could you not have forged billets of aluminum?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Exactly my point, in some ways. A 155 crank should/could be wicked light. But again, as stated, that's not really a concern, just an observation for very expensive cranks.
They fail the Charlie Cunningham Equation.
Have you heard of e-bikes?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Which is hilarious, as the JH bike park allows Ebikes now, even after hours.
But I ride my regular bike there, it's more funnerer.
Cleaning tech uphills (and catching air on step ups/water bars) is almost as much fun, however.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Which is hilarious, as the JH bike park allows Ebikes now, even after hours.
But I ride my regular bike there, it's more funnerer.
so does my bike park. why? i don't know.

it's funny seeing endur-bros with 52t cassettes and 28t chainrings in the lift line

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
so does my bike park. why? i don't know.

it's funny seeing endur-bros with 52t cassettes and 28t chainrings in the lift line
"Run what ya brung", I guess. I'm not gonna change my cassette and chainring for a few hours in the bike park, what with NW chainrings and clutches that work so well.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
To be fair, one crank is rated from "XC to All Mountain" and the other is targeted towards enduro and dh. Which is fitting, as the first isn't offered with an 83mm spindle, for DH bikes. :D

And technically, could you not have forged billets of aluminum?
Yes. The referenced RaceFace cranks are probably forged and CNCd, just with the forging you don't need to machine the complete surface to net shape, just areas that require high tolerances or for looks.

For my own curiosity I tried to look up how much stronger "forged" would be. Lots of comparisons with cast vs forged parts as that is the most common method for high production rates.

However all I could really find to compare with billet or raw materials and there is no real official information other than "generally believed to be stronger". The best I could find is a Reddit post claiming that forged is 4% stronger in the orientation of crystal deformation. That isn't exactly trustworthy but assuming it is true it may not mean much as a crank sees forces in multiple directions that changes as the crank rotates. Also a billet is typically made from stock that is rolled which deforms crystal shape the same way a forging does so the difference is probably dependent on the actual part and likely very small.

The real advantage with forgings is for the manufacturer as when made in large quantities it is cheaper. However for small quantity niche products a forging would actually increase the cost.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I have been far down the dirt bike rabbit hole, I just don't really like them. We have hundreds of miles of moto/ebike legal trails, no need to poach. Besides, you aren't going to poach the JH front country trails on a moto much before they call out SWAT teams. If you have been here you would understand what I mean.

Last edited: