Quantcast

Any of you with VW and Roof Racks?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have a coworker with at Jetta, and he asked if there is any benefit of a factory rack over a Yakima or Thule? any of you that have roof racks, what kind do you have and around how much did you spend to set it up for say 2 bikes? I dont know much about the factory racks or their cost... any info would be appreciated!!!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have a Yakima rack on my 93 Passat Wagon that holds a box and my bike. Heavily discounted through a younger brother who worked at the REI flagship store in Denver on one of their garage sales.:)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
loco said:
Doesn't that homo you ride with have a Jetta???
I don't ride with HOMO's loco, but I think Wumpus and madbob ride with one!!!:looney:

BTW Manhattanprjkt has a Jetta, and he has a roof rack, but he isn't a candidate cause he and I get our stuff super discounted!

J

JRB

brungeman said:
I don't ride with HOMO's loco, but I think Wumpus and madbob ride with one!!!:looney:

BTW Manhattanprjkt has a Jetta, and he has a roof rack, but he isn't a candidate cause he and I get our stuff super discounted!
You two call it getting "super discounted"??? Weird.

Seriously - can't manhattanpr53194897348282 answer all of your questions best??? There aren't any other guys here that will admit to driving a chick's car.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
loco said:
You two call it getting "super discounted"??? Weird.

Seriously - can't manhattanpr53194897348282 answer all of your questions best??? There aren't any other guys here that will admit to driving a chick's car.
you are missing the point loco, I am looking for someone that possibly has a factory rack... and has seen the differences between Yak, and Factory...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The TREK rack?! A buddy has one on his GTI.

I have a Thule with a 599xtr and a 594 on the Dub. Works great.

What was the question?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stinkyboy said:
The TREK rack?! A buddy has one on his GTI.

I have a Thule with a 599xtr and a 594 on the Dub. Works great.

What was the question?
I have a Thule on my car and he was asking me what the advantages are of the "factory rack" over a Thule or Yakima... here are his words

I was looking to invest in a roof rack for my bike, and I was wondering if there are any main advantages of going with the VW package for over $300 versus a system like Tule or something of the sort…..

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
thank you Stinky, Five and Profro, I will pass this info on...

anyone else out there? want to contribute something usefull? unlike loco!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
Dude - just because there are guys posting on forums about them doesn't make them any less of a chick car.
I have a photo of you and your wife. Steer clear of this thread and no one gets hurt.

:nope:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
brungeman said:
thank you Stinky, Five and Profro, I will pass this info on...

anyone else out there? want to contribute something usefull? unlike loco!
You're gonna pay more, but prolly worth it. I scoured ebay for my racks and got deals at the LBS for the trays.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
brungeman said:
any insight on your part? as to racks? what does Steve have? I think Jamie has a Thule...
steve and jamie both have thule, i personally think some of the systems those guys use are a bit hoaky, thule is damn sexy looking, but the yakima viper is prob the most solid system out there...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
steve and jamie both have thule, i personally think some of the systems those guys use are a bit hoaky, thule is damn sexy looking, but the yakima viper is prob the most solid system out there...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking about roof racks. Right? :confused:

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I have a set of Thule bars that will fit the MKIV Jetta and GTI (Both sets of feet). I am willing to sell, if interested pm. Also have a surf board carrier attachments for it as well

I dont think the Factory rack can switch from Jetta to Golf.

J

JRB

I personally have broken a Thule mech before. It has some plastic in it. I prefer the Viper, as far as attachment goes. I wouldn't use anything besides that.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
loco said:
I personally have broken a Thule mech before. It has some plastic in it. I prefer the Viper, as far as attachment goes. I wouldn't use anything besides that.
:thumb: good man...the viper is all function.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I have a 99 jetta with the Yakima racks and King Cobra trays. Works great - tested up to 100mph with bikes on top.

I'd avoid the VW racks, much as I'd avoid most things produced by vw (bad reliability, in my experience), plus they're pretty cheap looking and bulky, which = more wind noise.

The jetta's bad enough without racks, even with the Yakima's up there, at 60 mph, it sounds like I'm driving 150 mph through a hurricane.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Lets get everything clear. The REI flagship store is in Seattle, not Denver.

And there is no advantage to a factory rack for most vehicals. I have a yak on my VW and it works.
There is a advantage to factory racks on volvos though. They are custom made by thule and volvo actually thought about how a rack would fit unlike most car makers. Anyways, they are pimp and don't touch the paint and are super strong

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
buildyourown said:
Lets get everything clear. The REI flagship store is in Seattle, not Denver.
My bad, that is what I heard it called. It was shorter than "The Armpit on the Platte River".

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I'll chime in w/ my 2 cents.

I don't own a jetta, paid for my rack at damn close to retail in '99 and then worked at a shop and sold yak stuff for 4 years. I'm still on the same system and its on the third car w/ only changing q-clips. I like the ability of yak/thule to switch from vehicle to vechicle w/ little hastle (unless your going to a vehicle w/ factory racks already, like many suv's and wagons, then its a little more of a pain - new towers in most cases). And, it didn't lower my value when I traded in my last car and swiped it off the top. The stuff has held up and worth it in my opinion.

I'd just get the car w/o the option and put that money towards a thule/yak system.