Quantcast

Any one else miss this??

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I rode up to Wallace Lake today (well almost, snow stopped me a mile short) and ended up talking to some DNR guys. That whole area is a "Proposed Recreation Area," which means there could be bike trails in the area eventually, if done right maybe even some DH style trails. Anyway he tells me that the preliminary meeting to discuss what is going to happen with the area was back in February and that bikers and hikers were out numbered by probably 20 to 1 by ORV users. It seems lame to me that I never heard about this. I'm in local shops frequently and on this forum frequently and there was no mention of it. People complain about not having places to ride and then stuff like this happens. Do you want to know the Shore has all the great trails it does? Because Mtn Bikers pack the house at these kind of meetings. I looked and it was on BBTCs calender, but it just seems like meetings like this should be more publicized. Is it really that hard to email shops flyer's with the dates of important meetings so their clients can know about it or put a post on a few forums?

Heres a link to the map of the area for those that are interested.
http://www.bbtc.org/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Reiter_Foothills_Planning.JPG

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
A: Not many people know about it. (Wallace was my first ever BBTC ride in, like '91.) Love that ride.
B: It's way too gnarly for 90% of the bikers out there. Really.
C: Some don't like the moto/jeeper/unamog redneck crowd and the monster bike swallowing mudholes.
D: It's a ways away from Ceevilizayshun.
E: It's tough to shuttle and everyone knows Seymour gets 30X more traffic than Fromme....

That said, I've always called that area the "Tiger of the North". Combined with a fun singletrack descent (did I say that?) It's almost as good as it used to be before the logging road was built on the old narrow gage rail grade up to the lake.

Yeah, too bad. But, not too late.

The only shop up there (Spokemotion in Monroe) isn't up on the DH/FR scene anyways. But, I'd bet they'd support it if they knew it would help the shop. jump on this one, go for a ride with Preston soon Stinky and make Reiter your personal agenda. You can do it!

JHust think of what it will be like being along the way to Stevens when they open for lift served.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
My club has been working (fighting) to make this happen for more than 5 years...along with the local ORV community. But my club is considered one of the BIG movers to get this in area designated.

BTW, BBTC was there scoping the situation out. :) recognized a face or two...

It is by our hard work that it has even came this far. We even had to write letters in recently to get the Gov to line item Veto a segment that said no new trails could be built on DNR land for a year. That was 2-3 weeks ago....where was the MTB community then?

I am pushing for Multi/All use single track. You can bet I am not going to stick my neck out for MTB/Hiker/Horseback/etc only trails. If you think there are not a bunch of bicycle trails, try dirtbiking. I will not let an inch go of Reiter if possible.

Don't get me started on the trail systems that used to be open to dirt bikes...heck built with dirt bike man power and (NOVA) funding.

Please do everyone a favor and think of this as a multi-use singletrack area. I actually persuaded some horse people at the meeting that multiuse was much more fair than selective (Horse only trails). Reiter has been a dirtbike trail location for...well longer than the 32 yrs I have been on this earth. I have pics of my dad riding my 2yo self around on the gas tank of his bike there.

I for one am tired of getting kicked around. I may sound a little angry, but I will push for nothing other than multi-use single track. I say single track because unfortnuately 4x4s have been pushing up single track trails...making them, well destroying them. My only problem with 4x4 is they drive up a trail and claim it as a 4x4 trail. Many of the Rock crawlers that go up there are not looking for a trail drive...they are looking for the nastiest thing to go over. That is what gets there rocks off. Fine. Set up an area(a field?) full of boulders and obsticles, but don't be destroying singletrack.

Whoa....sorry about that. I must have needed to vent. :(

Pick of me last Sat over in leased cattle land east of Moses Lake for my clubs Poker-Run/Race weekend.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah Preston Peterson is spearheading a movement to make sure mountain bikers are represented at Reiter.

Theres a ride on the BBTC board right now. With all the motos and 4X4 it's very technical XC riding with all the ruts, mud and steeps. i'm signed up for it, but i know it's a ride that's pretty punishing if you don't have your wind up, so i may drop. But i would encourage others interested to check it out. i've been there twice with Preston and i really like it.

http://www.bbtc.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=6475

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Rhino I agree with what you said completely. I didn't mean to sound like I wanted dedicated bike trails. I know that if mtn bikers don't show up to these meetings and what not they will get left out or multi use trails will just be a second thought. I think it would be great to see an area that has multi use trails and specific user group trails and the specific users not being jerks to one another.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Thanks Rhino for working to save the area for all users. It's nice that its cleaned up nowadays too considering all the garbage dumped there back in the day. How long ago was that when someone in the trailer park down the road got shot from an errant bullet fired at the pit?

I'm not so sure that any hikers and horsey folks will bother to go there with it open to motos and jeepers. My impression is that they have some sort of distain for sharing trails with anything internally combusted. But, I've heard the equine folks get along with the moto crowd at Tahuya. So, who knows? I do wonder how enforcing the rockcrawler crowd to stay off singletrack will be though.

Many also don't know that you can climb up to Wallace, cut back above the falls (when the water is lower and safe) and ride some gnarl all the way back down to May Creek at the pit. Good times. Easy spin on pavement back to the trailhead.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
We used to ride the mtbs at Walker Valley before a lot of the trails got widened out by the 4x4's. Doesn't sound like Walker Valley is going to be around much longer. Hopefully the Stumpjumpers MC and BBTC can work together on this for everyones' best interest. No I'm not bashing 4 wheelers. Kevin keep up the good work!:clapping: