Quantcast

Any one got any ride time on a Foes f1 XTD curnutt front shock?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
So, after 5 years of riding my 01 Shivver, I am considering replacing it with a newer fork due to it twisting more and more frequently. I am looking at inverted forks for the most part, and having rulled out the Dorado as too much work and the Risse as a piece of trash, I have come to the Foes. So if any one has any advice on this fork let me know, It will need to last at least another 3 years of Dh abuse because i dont have the kind of money to upgrade my suspension every year just because its cool. :bonk:

BTW, it looks badass and ive never seen one on a DHR.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh mack good luck getting that fork man. they only make 200 or so of them each year so getting your hands on one is extremely hard. you also have to rebuild your front wheel due to the fact that they use a 30mm thru axel instead of the standard 20. now if you are able to get the cash and your able to get your hands on this thing. it has had nothing but good reviews from all the things i have read about it.

if i was you i would go avy if you are looking for a inverted fork only.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I think you can get a much better fork for less than the Foes fork cost. I ran one of there older forks back in 2000 and it was a nice fork. I know its much better now with the Curnutt. But for the money you can get a Fox 40RC2 for much less and have a better fork than the Curnutt. That is just my oppinion and everyone has one. If your looking for something different than you are stepping the right way.

Good luck.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I know that you could replace your fork once a year for three years for less $$ than the Foes.

Their build quality is top notch for sure, but if it feels anything like the curnut rear, run away fast. Poor small bump comliance is an understatement.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Foes fork is anywhere from $2,500 to $3,000 depending on which one you are looking at. They made/make two versions if I remember right. They have terrible small bump compliance.

How much do you weigh? You might be able to get away with an Avalanche single dampner for $1500 if you weigh under 185.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Just buy a boxxer or 40. They are lighter, stiffer, and cheaper than inverted forks and don't twist in the crowns. And with the dampers in those forks it really would be hard for me to imagine the foes or avy's riding any better than a boxxer or 40.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
After riding Foes forks for several years, the are stiffer than all other inverted and most non-inverted forks on the market (I only say most because I haven't ridden a Fox 40 and can't compare) and they don't twist in the crowns. My F1XL with the foes hub weighed less than a boxxer or dorado. Foes forks are an incredible ride, if you can bare to shell out the cash.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
After riding Foes forks for several years, the are stiffer than all other inverted and most non-inverted forks on the market (I only say most because I haven't ridden a Fox 40 and can't compare) and they don't twist in the crowns. My F1XL with the foes hub weighed less than a boxxer or dorado. Foes forks are an incredible ride, if you can bare to shell out the cash.
Have you ridden the new Foes fork though? It feels completly different than their old forks.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Have you ridden the new Foes fork though? It feels completly different than their old forks.
I was addressing the stiffness/twisting issue, not the suspension characteristics. The 30mm hub is what helps with that, and the 30mm hub so far as I knew is used on the newer forks. A generalization was thrown out there that I don't think is true of all inverted forks. As far as how the curnutt technology feels on front suspension, I have no opinion as I haven't ridden a curnutt fork one personally, just their shocks.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Just buy a boxxer or 40. They are lighter, stiffer, and cheaper than inverted forks and don't twist in the crowns. And with the dampers in those forks it really would be hard for me to imagine the foes or avy's riding any better than a boxxer or 40.
The Avy is heavy, but the damping quality is IMO superior to any Boxxer (which I think feels terrible).

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The Avy is heavy, but the damping quality is IMO superior to any Boxxer (which I think feels terrible).
I haven't ridden an avy fork but the 06 boxxer WC/teams feel amazing. I would seriously doubt that the avy is worth the extra 3 pounds and 400 bucks.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I haven't ridden an avy fork but the 06 boxxer WC/teams feel amazing. I would seriously doubt that the avy is worth the extra 3 pounds and 400 bucks.
I have never ridden a fork that in damping quality can be compared to an Avalanche. They are indeed haevy and expensive, but the damping is amazing and it has never failed. No blown seals or other stuff.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
...and by the way. I guess it is a very individual perception if something is "worth" a certain amount of $$$.

Is a Ferrari worth its price ? To some "yes" and to some "no"....

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
...and by the way. I guess it is a very individual perception if something is "worth" a certain amount of $$$.

Is a Ferrari worth its price ? To some "yes" and to some "no"....
That's very true. I would still argue that a well tuned boxxer WC would feel just as good as any avy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have you ridden both?

I love my avy fork. It feels like cheating. I don't have any ride time on a boxxer or pretty much any other DH fork, but I have no complaints about the ride quality on the avalanche. I have a dhf-8hk, the dual damper fatty fork. It's heavy and not "on-the-fly adjustable" in that you need a screwdriver. It twists when you crash, but I may not have the torque specs right. I need to invest in a torque wrench.

Regardless, the avy is still less than the silly expensive foes. And, if you want 3 years of forget about it riding, the avy is it. They RECOMMEND you send it in once every two years of riding. TWO YEARS.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
If you're considering inverted and durable and won't consider a Shiver or a Dorado, I would look no further than Avalanche. I am sure they will make you more than happy.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
They RECOMMEND you send it in once every two years of riding. TWO YEARS.
After 2 months the fork oil will be incredibly dirty regardless of what kind of fork it is. You should be at least changing oil every 3-4 months. Maybe they change the seals and bushings after 2 years, but anyone reccomending that you use the same fork oil for that long is out of their mind.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I thought the newer White Brothers stuff was supposed to be pretty good. Is that company around anymore?
Why does everyone think the fork that they just spent 1500+ dollars on is the best? Most of the time people are coming off older equipment, so new stuff should feel better. And who has compared two higher end fork that are BOTH dialed for there preferences? Riding your fork thats setup for you and switching to your buddies for a run doesn't count as trying both, not a fair trail anyway. And last who is going to say they just spent X amount on a fork and it sucks?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
After 2 months the fork oil will be incredibly dirty regardless of what kind of fork it is. You should be at least changing oil every 3-4 months. Maybe they change the seals and bushings after 2 years, but anyone reccomending that you use the same fork oil for that long is out of their mind.
Why?????

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
What if the internals were all coated and hard anodized? Then couldn't you get away with fewer oil changes if the metal wasn't raw? How does car suspension do it, I mean, it goes years without an oil chance, and it's fundamentally the same...

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I don't mean to be hard on you bballe, but maybe he doesn't really know why a fork gets dirty internally. Maybe he things all dirt comes from without.
And on that note, what about my comments? What if all the internals were hard anodized and coated? Couldn't you eliminate dirt from within by doing this?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I don't mean to be hard on you bballe, but maybe he doesn't really know why a fork gets dirty internally. Maybe he things all dirt comes from without.
And on that note, what about my comments? What if all the internals were hard anodized and coated? Couldn't you eliminate dirt from within by doing this?
Possibly. My experience is that even with hard annodize friction can still wear the anno off and then the metal degrades. And once the anno is scratched it wears much quicker. My paintball guns are all hard anno'd and the anno gets scratched and degrades fairly quickly. A fork has much more friction than the barrel or chamber of a paintball gun and therefore parts with anno on them would degrade fairly quickly anyways. And we know that seals aren't anywhere near 100% efficient, dirt and dust still gets in. Once the dust and dirt gets in it scratches stuff and you end up with the anno coming off. Honestly I can't see hard annodizing preventing oil changes in a fork for 2 years.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i dont think its fair for anyone to compare a boxxer world cup to avys and curnutts, ive ridden all 3 and i can honestly say the avy kills everything, its absolute butter and has an amazing tuning range. the best explanation is the fork is butter throughout its travel but cant be bottomed.

the curnutt feels like an platform fork its quite harsh on the small bumps but its not like a loss of control or harshness like spv was, when tuned correctly its an amazing fork even if its small bump aint up there with boxxer 888 or avy it makes up for it in contol stiffness build quaility and bling.

SCARY

Not long enough
I have had one for the last couple seasons,although i really don't ride anymore.I had brent set the fork up w his reccomendations and i gave it a chance ,but the small bump stuff really did suck.So despite Foes attempts to convince me that I was a limp wristed sissy boy and that the fork felt great,i ordered the next lighter spring weight.Then after tinkering a little-I ran the pressure at the upper reccommended limit and ran the pre -load in more.It rides great,and really dosen't feel like any other fork out there-and thats good if you are more apt to flatten rocks than flit around them.No fork dive coming hard and late on the brakes in the corners,and no bottoming ever.If real men still raced DH ,this is the fork they'ed use.Hope this helps

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
i have one for sale for 800 with the front wheel and a king headset, it has a ti spring. it rides nice i wish i could keep it but i have to buy a new car and need the money. email me at drewbeyond@yahoo.com