Quantcast

Any one listen to music?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by SuperSlow
During races? Ive always felt that ive had smoother rides whenever i listen to music while i ride
There's a guy named dhtahoe who does. You usuall have to kick him in the nuts to get his attention because he can't hear you. Even then he sometimes ignores me though.

It's really important to be able to hear when riding DH, like when someone tells you that the lip on a jump is all fvcked up and to not hit it fast......right dhtahoe? *kick* *kick* RIGHT DH TAHOE!!!!!?????

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I don't and won't, I like to hear every sound the bike and environment make when I'm riding.
But I know someone who does, and loud enough that you can clearly here what song is on.

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
I ride noticeabley better with music. But whenever I do have the tunes playing, I have the volume set very low so that I can still clearly hear what's going on around me...

Riding deaf...:dead:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:evil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:evil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: evil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:evil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
i had a wierd urge to do this at the race on sunday. but it seems to me, that whenever im driving hard (in my car) on twisty roads that demand attention, l always find myself reaching to turn off the stereo so i can concentrate, even if its not on :rolleyes:. so with this in mind, i opted to not do it because i have done fine without it thus far, and it wouldnt be so easy to quickly turn the music off durring a dh race if i found it distracting. ill have to try it someday on a trail. but if i did..... it would be: J5 "music power" good fast rythm, and a all around badass song. or maybey some fu manchu or somethin

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
Originally posted by SebringMGB
i had a wierd urge to do this at the race on sunday. but it seems to me, that whenever im driving hard (in my car) on twisty roads that demand attention, l always find myself reaching to turn off the stereo so i can concentrate, even if its not on :rolleyes:. so with this in mind, i opted to not do it because i have done fine without it thus far, and it wouldnt be so easy to quickly turn the music off durring a dh race if i found it distracting. ill have to try it someday on a trail. but if i did..... it would be: J5 "music power" good fast rythm, and a all around badass song. or maybey some fu manchu or somethin
I do the same thing when driving hard in my car, but i do it so i can hear the tires on the road and the engine note. So being on a bike when i am the engine, and the tires dont make any noise, I have been alot faster listening to music. It helps me flow better.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
I've listenend to music a few times. Usually fast Metallica or Yngwie Malmsteen (blisteringly fast and amazing guitarist) I race the music. I feel I can concentrate more with it on. It's just another thing that shuts off everything else around me that I am not looking at. I just concentrate on the course.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
snowboarding i always sing this song about a swimming pool when ever i hit the steeps. i guess i sorta hum it when mtb'ing too.
it goes like this:
swimming swimming in a swimming pool
some days are hot some days are cold in a swimming pool
sidestroke backstroke fancy diving too
arent you glad that you dont haaaaave...
anything else to do except....and then the song repeats.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by mcA896
snowboarding i always sing this song about a swimming pool when ever i hit the steeps. i guess i sorta hum it when mtb'ing too.
it goes like this:
swimming swimming in a swimming pool
some days are hot some days are cold in a swimming pool
sidestroke backstroke fancy diving too
arent you glad that you dont haaaaave...
anything else to do except....and then the song repeats.
They used to make use sing that song at school.

I don't race but occasionally lisen to music when riding.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I have ridden DH with my MP3 player. However, I like to know that if there was a mechanical issue that I might be able to hear it so I don't hear an amublance.

That said, I have race XC with music since it is so d@mn boring.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
well i dont really have anything good to use to listen to music while racign so ive never actually tried it but i love to listen to music when im going somewhere on my bike. makes it alot less boring. my cd player doesnt work to well when im doing drops and stuff. skips too much.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
I think the music would probably just become white noise for me...I'd be too concentrated on what's going on around me.
i noticed that for snowboarding, which i mostly use for on the chair or on fast cruisers, but anything that requires concentration pretty much filters out.

Originally posted by kidwoo
There's a guy named dhtahoe who does. You usuall have to kick him in the nuts to get his attention because he can't hear you. Even then he sometimes ignores me though.

It's really important to be able to hear when riding DH, like when someone tells you that the lip on a jump is all fvcked up and to not hit it fast......right dhtahoe? *kick* *kick* RIGHT DH TAHOE!!!!!?????
oh my god....that's too funny, you're breaking my balls, kevin, breaking my balls.....:D

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
I used to listen to music all the time when I was out practicing stuff like manuals/street/dj's but after riding a few times without music I felt like I got better. More concentration and you are able to hear a problem with your bike before its too late and you wreck the part