Quantcast

Any one play PS2 online?

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Any one know any thing about the PS2? I want to connect mine to my home network. I have 3 computers on a wireless network. What I want to know is can I plug the PS2 network adapter in to the network connection on my computer? Or do I need to get the wireless receiver for it? It would just be a lot cheaper to plug it in to the computer that’s in the same room. The wireless rougher in a different room. And the Linksys wireless receiver is kind of expensive.

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
i ghetto rigged mine with ethernet cable and duct tape and it works fine. the router might be a good choice if you have to go through solid walls but i only had to go up into the ceiling tiles and across the ceiling. the only places it shows is where it runs up the wall into the tiles and where it comes down into my router, otherwise you wouldnt even know it was there. what games were u looking to play online?

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Big_Papa1080 said:
i ghetto rigged mine with ethernet cable and duct tape and it works fine. the router might be a good choice if you have to go through solid walls but i only had to go up into the ceiling tiles and across the ceiling. the only places it shows is where it runs up the wall into the tiles and where it comes down into my router, otherwise you wouldnt even know it was there. what games were u looking to play online?

Right now the only game I have to play online is SOCOM II. I looked at just getting a network cable last night to run in to the other room but it was $60 and the wireless network receiver is the same price so I guess I’m not going to just rig it for now. I’m going to pick up a longer cable today and see if I can just plug it in to my computer in this room.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You can't just plug it into your computer because your computer only has a data in jack, you could buy a cheap hub that would split the data line coming from the wireless reciever, assuming your reciever is external, plug the reciever into the hub rather than wiring it directly to the computer, run a short cable from the hub to your computer and a long one from the hub to your PS2. You're probabally asking for problems doing it that way but it might work out okay. Where were you looking for a network cable where they are charging $60, that better have been a 1000' cable! Check a small mom and pop computer store, or if you know somebody who does network mantinance for a corporation ask them if they can hook you up with a cable, you shouldn't be paying more than about $20 unless the cable needs to reach to the moon.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Kornphlake said:
You can't just plug it into your computer because your computer only has a data in jack, you could buy a cheap hub that would split the data line coming from the wireless reciever, assuming your reciever is external, plug the reciever into the hub rather than wiring it directly to the computer, run a short cable from the hub to your computer and a long one from the hub to your PS2. You're probabally asking for problems doing it that way but it might work out okay. Where were you looking for a network cable where they are charging $60, that better have been a 1000' cable! Check a small mom and pop computer store, or if you know somebody who does network mantinance for a corporation ask them if they can hook you up with a cable, you shouldn't be paying more than about $20 unless the cable needs to reach to the moon.
I dident think about the hub that's an idea I will think about. The cable was from Compusa and it was 100ft. I'm an electrishon and we do phone all the time. So I'm going to check home depot to see what making a cable up would be.