Quantcast

Any one wanna build at mansell?

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
hey anyone interested in build some huge stunts at mansell while its closed for the wetlands project? maybe some 10 ft ladder bridges?...i mean we got to make something out there thats somewhat difficult and scary.
something that only a few guys can do.

btw i'm the one who built the little hidden trail with the one little jump and rock garden. i've been hearing people have found out about it. well i think we should put a ladder bridge on it and a 10 foot drop.

i was thinking have a bridge start 5 ft in the air right after the little jump then rise up to 10 ft high and have it end right before the rock garden.
so when u jump the jump u land on the bridge. sound cool?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Instead of jeopardizing our chances of getting a LEGAL and PERMANENT DH section of Mansell why not build up at Forsyth?
We are having a work party this Saturday from 9 till 1pm.

If a lot of illegal stuff gets thrown up we will all bikes will be kicked out and the place will become a nice big Softball field with a nice big parking lot for all those nice big soccer moms to park their nice big SUVs....etc...

We are making progress with the city of Roswell in agreeing to let us build advanced (freeride) trails at Mansell. This may happen sooner than you think and we can use all the help we can get to Plan and Re-Build the dual run etc.

If you are interested in keeping up with what's going on at Mansell, come out to the Roswell Alpharetta Mtb Org meeting tonight at Tony's Bar on Holcombe Bridge. We'll be hearing more info on when / what we can do at Big Creek /
Mansell.

Tony's American Grill & Tap.
1085 Holcomb Bridge Road
Roswell, GA 30076

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
what stunts are unauthorized at mansell?

and what types of things do yall plan on building at the forsyth trail? i went there one day and saw the birm and jump yall had but are there going to be trails on the other side of the creek? yall should build some 30 footers on that big hill. i'll help all weekend long if yall do that.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
krazydher1 said:

and what types of things do yall plan on building at the forsyth trail? i went there one day and saw the birm and jump yall had but are there going to be trails on the other side of the creek? yall should build some 30 footers on that big hill. i'll help all weekend long if yall do that.
As part of our agreement with Forsyth county we have to make the freeride park a progression. The first section will be an advanced trail that will introduce more riders to this aspect of mountain biking. One run, the one you saw will be more or less a Dual type practice run and the lower run will be all wooden NS structures and a few rock drops.

Across the creek we have approval to build North Shore type stunts 8ft+ in height. It has already been designated a double black area.

If we can bring the Freeride community together and make Forsyth's Central Park a success, it will help us tremendously when we approach Roswell to do the same at Mansell.

The more help we get building at Forsyth the faster it will get done and the sooner we can move on to the other side of the creek.

As far as you question on what stunts are unauthorized at Mansell...
To put it plain and simple, All stunts are unauthorized. Most of what has been built there is illegally on private land and the rest was built there was built without the cities consent.
We hope to change that and to get the cities permission to fix, maintain, and add to what is already out there. We need to start setting an example to the city to show them that we can work with them.

Think of it this way, right now it's illegal to build jumps. Once we get city approval it will be illegal for people to destroy jumps, destruction of public property.

Sorry for such a lengthy reply. I've been working on this stuff for almost a year now and I'm amazed on how much politics can get in the way of riding my bike.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
krazydher1 said:

The stuff I was talking about is no longer there. Years ago, when you actually accessed Mansell from Mansell Rd, there were some stunts, a teeter and a high ladder to drop right at the trailhead. Soon after they were torn down, the land owner restricted our access to that portion of Mansell.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
yeah i remember that..years ago.

hey DVNT when are yall building next? i wanna get this thing going and going big. and i'll help if i'm not working...i work like 3 days a week...so i can work on the trail 4 days a week, and even if i'm by myself i can get alot done in a few days. if its building trail then i work nonstop. i worked on a trail at mansell 7 days straight in the rain. so just give me a project to do...when i'm not working i'm bored to death.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
as far as Forsyth goes, we'll be up there tomorrow working and testing jumps. The dual run is really close to being done, we are just tweaking things and building a few jumps up higher.
As far as building out there goes, we have to go by the county rules on that. As part of the agreement with the county and for liability reasons we can only work on scheduled work days. This helps them keep tabs on construction and they'll know if people are illegally building / modifying the trail.

We'll be out there from 9am to 1p this saturday if you can make it. Make sure you introduce yourself and i can answer any questions you might have.
-j

EDIT: don't forget to bring your bike....

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Its not worth the time or effort at mansell.... It used to be kickass. If you can be patient there will be a freeride park opening in the Atlanta city area. Building started a few weeks ago, hopefully we can keep SOFA happy and make some nice newB style stuff(table tops and rollers). Mainly, the focus is one a nice downhill DJ run or three for now.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
=[Stinky]= said:
Its not worth the time or effort at mansell.... It used to be kickass. If you can be patient there will be a freeride park opening in the Atlanta city area. Building started a few weeks ago, hopefully we can keep SOFA happy and make some nice newB style stuff(table tops and rollers). Mainly, the focus is one a nice downhill DJ run or three for now.
yeah i agree mansell is defnatley not worth building anything on, but i got nothin else to do. if we could fill the entire area with bridges it would be sweet.

plus i'm moving to Colorado this fall so i could care less about mansell in the future.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
Oh btw stinky...i just saw that u gotta 4 runner on 33's...wanna go wheelin someday...we'll go to windrock, ride bikes and wheel...i gotta grand cherokee on 35's.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Hey DVNT. Clean out yer PM box, its full and will not allow you to accept any more PMs. Anywho. Im Andrew. I have worked with nate at outback for the past 4 years. heh, hes my boss basicly. Hes stoked about building. I know the location. But I havent been able to take a trip out there to dig, mostly b/c of work at the shop, or Im in class... I really hope it all pans out with sofa/sorba. It would be great.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
=[Stinky]= said:
Hey DVNT. Clean out yer PM box, its full and will not allow you to accept any more PMs. Anywho. Im Andrew. I have worked with nate at outback for the past 4 years. heh, hes my boss basicly. Hes stoked about building. I know the location. But I havent been able to take a trip out there to dig, mostly b/c of work at the shop, or Im in class... I really hope it all pans out with sofa/sorba. It would be great.
Ok, cool. Yeah, it'll be pretty cool especially if this freakin rain stops.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
krazydher1 said:
plus i'm moving to Colorado this fall so i could care less about mansell in the future.

well thats a piss poor attitude i think after that you should not be allowed to build anything anywhere and i hope everything you build gets torn down before you get to ride. some people will still be living in that area long after you leave and i bet some of those people ride bikes.

biggins said:
well thats a piss poor attitude i think after that you should not be allowed to build anything anywhere and i hope everything you build gets torn down before you get to ride. some people will still be living in that area long after you leave and i bet some of those people ride bikes.

Biggins i bet this guy uses a swiffer.
He sure has a disposable brain.
With an attitude like that i hope no one gives you the honor of riding windrock. :think: :nope:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
krazydher1 said:
yall should build some 30 footers on that big hill. i'll help all weekend long if yall do that.
heres another one for ya loonatic. self service? anyone?anyone?

the swiffer shly was funny, it is still burning me up.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
what are yall talkin about..yall are crazy...

mainly i was saying that i could care less about building there cuz its gonna get torn down anyways and i'm not gonna be here...So i personaly could care less...if i knew i could build something there that would be worth it and it would be big and people would ride it i would do it...

i spent 7 days in the rain building that one trail all by myself...noone has added to it since then...and the reason no one has is cuz they could care less what gets built there as well.

and u can obviously tell barely anyone has replied to this thread called "anyone interested in building at mansell"...i'm the one who started the thread.

i think u guys miss understood me...its hard to understand feelings on the net...if i talked to yall in person we would all be cool.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Don't sweat it, Krazy. We're hitting Mansell if the weather at Windrock looks iffy.
I'd like to see the stupid jump rebuilt. I'm an hour away. If I was closer I'd do some work out there.

We found some stuff in Newnan that would be worth a trip down from ATL.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
man i hope windrock is good to go this weekend...i gotta get in shape and start prcticing if i wanna race this yr.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
well you guys will do what you want no matter what is said or what it might impact...
Just to let you know i got a phone call last night from someone on the Roswell Parks Commission who has been known to check all the forums.

He asked me to post this. No one wants to see anyone get arrested.

Please tell "Peete" he cannot ride mansell this weekend, its off limits. The contractor is currently building right below
the DH area and if you are in there you will be seen no problem and
will have park rangers looking to introduce themselves to you. I don't
want anyone getting arrested, it would be really bad for the efforts to
rebuild "advanced" trails in the same area.
You guys are capable of making the judgement call yourselves.

And KrazyDhr guy...
I'll throw the invite out one more time,
If you feel like building something, We've got a table top in Forsyth that needs some lovin. We will be up there 9 to noon tomorrow.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
DVNT said:
well you guys will do what you want no matter what is said or what it might impact...
Just to let you know i got a phone call last night from someone on the Roswell Parks Commission who has been known to check all the forums.

He asked me to post this. No one wants to see anyone get arrested.

You guys are capable of making the judgement call yourselves.

And KrazyDhr guy...
I'll throw the invite out one more time,
If you feel like building something, We've got a table top in Forsyth that needs some lovin. We will be up there 9 to noon tomorrow.
hey sweet..i'm not working tomoro so maybe I'll make it up there...