Quantcast

Any opinions on a Redline Conquest Pro frame?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
I'm looking to build one up as a heavy-duty commuter/ CX bike (just change tires!)
Any advice or issues I should know about with this frame?

I'm not looking to race, I'm just looking for something durable. I'll likely build it up with a 105 drivetrain, a Surly cross fork, and some cheap but durable wheels.

Thanks in advance.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
I've got a '04 54cm Pro bike. I'm about 5'10", 210lbs, and it's held up fine for me. I've ridden road and trails on it alike, and am partway through a 'cross racing series at the moment. It's given me no issues, and I don't baby it, as my other bike is a dirt jumping HT. You should be fine.

OTOH: Have you looked at Surly's offerings? Just suggesting them b/c they might be cheaper than the Redline frameset, steel vs. aluminum, and designed more for durability than racing, right in line with your intended purpose. I know the Redline's were designed more for racing. Mine set up as a SS comes in between 18-19lbs.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Nate at RIT said:
I've got a '04 54cm Pro bike. I'm about 5'10", 210lbs, and it's held up fine for me. I've ridden road and trails on it alike, and am partway through a 'cross racing series at the moment. It's given me no issues, and I don't baby it, as my other bike is a dirt jumping HT. You should be fine.

OTOH: Have you looked at Surly's offerings? Just suggesting them b/c they might be cheaper than the Redline frameset, steel vs. aluminum, and designed more for durability than racing, right in line with your intended purpose. I know the Redline's were designed more for racing. Mine set up as a SS comes in between 18-19lbs.

Thnaks Nate - that's great advice, and reassuring as well - I'm the same height, 5 pounds heavier, and the frame in question is a 54. Mind if I ask about your stem/bar set up?

As for the Surly - I like them, but the Redline is leading the pack right now for 2 reasons - it's a screaming deal, and because my first "real" bike was a Redline Proline 2, back in the late 80's :D

Again - thanks for your help. I think I'll pull the trigger on this one.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Bar/stem combo was whatever came on it stock. Both were Ritchey parts. Stem looks/feels to be around 100mm, give or take 10mm. Bars have a slight backsweep on the top, and shallow ergonomic drops. If you can get ahold of the '04 specs, they should have it. Looking on the Redline website, all I'm seeing is the '05 specs, which are 'size proportionate'. I think the 54cm size has a 55cm top tube length, if that helps out with sizing it up.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Bar/stem combo was whatever came on it stock. Both were Ritchey parts. Stem looks/feels to be around 100mm, give or take 10mm. Bars have a slight backsweep on the top, and shallow ergonomic drops. If you can get ahold of the '04 specs, they should have it. Looking on the Redline website, all I'm seeing is the '05 specs, which are 'size proportionate'. I think the 54cm size has a 55cm top tube length, if that helps out with sizing it up.

Make sure you take it out on the trails too. The geometry def feels like it leans more towards the mtn bike side than road bike side. It felt okay for road riding, but nothing spectacular. I can't get enough of it on dirt and mud. Just feels so natural and intuitive.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Nate at RIT said:
Make sure you take it out on the trails too. The geometry def feels like it leans more towards the mtn bike side than road bike side. It felt okay for road riding, but nothing spectacular. I can't get enough of it on dirt and mud. Just feels so natural and intuitive.
Will do. Thanks again for the advice. I'll post a pic when I'm done building her up.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
Is this an addition to the stable or a replacement for something and will it be able to carry one of those baby thingies on the back? ;) :)
This is a replacement for the Cannondale commuter.
And what do you mean by "one of those baby things"?
I just pile the kids right on.....

Attachments